Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

RasputinLives Verstappen has got plenty of time to win the world championship if he can keep his mouth shut and let his driving do the talking

Calling him "Jean Alesi" is a bit far fetched at the moment because he has not gone and signed contracts with every other team and forced the CRB to recognise them as legal forcing a multi-million pound pay out but that might still happen

Ricciardo - I remember DC saying "In the right car Ricciardo will be multiple world champion back in 2014" unfortunately his career has been held by Red Bull and the Renault engine ( more the engine said) but time for him is now getting critical for that.
Quite rightly he won't join Ferrari if they or Vettel wants him to be the bridesmaid

"Johnny Herbert" now I can see why if you said his career has not been managed well and he is not getting the breaks he deserves and staying to the team too long out of loyalty potentially. He has not yet been screwed by his bosses

Il_leone when I think of Jean Alesi I think of an incredibly quick and exciting driver who never got results due go 'bad luck' and mechanical error and that's what I was suggesting is happening with Max at the moment. I'm aware of the contracts thing with Alesi but I really wasn't suggesting it applied to Max. I thought it was clear.

Back on topic. Brilliant drive by Danny Ric at Monza yet again. Third time he's come through the field this season. Good form continues.

RasputinLives Verstappen is not quite mercurial as Murray use to love tag Alesi but I see your point as exciting and quick. Just hope he does not do something stupid like ignore the radio call and ran out of fuel. There is plenty of time for Max but the problem is the benchmark to success is measured by what Hamilton and Vettel achieved at such a young age that Max is desperate to match it or break it

Ricciardo needs a more competitive car or imagine him in a Ferrari where he would simply do a much better job than Kimi

He would be giving Vettel a run for his money. That's for sure. Vettel wouldn't like that though, so it wouldn't happen.

He would be giving Vettel a run for his money. That's for sure. Vettel wouldn't like that though, so it wouldn't happen.
I don't think he'd have too much of an issue, but obviously it would create some tension within the team, if they had two competitive drivers which is why it currently wouldn't make sense to sign another driver than Raikkonen.

That Vettel has a clause preventing Ferrari from signing Hamilton, was also made up by Hamilton himself.

I Don't think they would. I Don't think they would want to rock the boat when it's sailing the best it has been for 10 years.

RasputinLives Ricciardo does not want to be the bridesmaid apart from the Italian connection .. he is not being loud noises about wanting to be a winner

Whilst on the other side of the Red Bull garage there is plenty of noises from Max's mouth not his exhaust I'm afraid . Jos will make sure his son does not suffer the same treatment he did at Benetton under Schumacher being a No 2.

I should Ferrari are known to do the illogical thing even when it appears to be madness

I'm still surprised about the lack of comments on his driving style. I think he's pushing the car far to hard, he'll never finish a race, if he doesn't change his methods.

I'm still surprised about the lack of comments on his driving style. I think he's pushing the car far to hard, he'll never finish a race, if he doesn't change his methods.

Ricciardo always go to the limit and at some point he may have over-driven the car. Having said that, I Still think he did a good job with what he had and definitively will be a contender next year if RedBull comes up with an improved design and Renault also up the ante with their engine.

Last edited:
Hydraulic failure - that is an electrical issue so I don't see how Ricciardo can determine how that impacts his race unless he hit the wrong button on his steering wheel
I thought that is controlled from the pits or by computer

Il_leone I was only referring to the remarks made about Max Verstappen and his 'aggressive' and mechanically 'demanding' driving style.
Red Bull's record shows that they simply can't build a reliable car.

From 2010- 2013, Webber had 45 issues, Vettel had 33. Vettel had an issue in the all of the first seven races of 2014 and further ones during the season. 2015 and 2016 were fairly steady years for Red Bull, but as I mentioned in another thread Ricciardo and Verstappen only finished six races together this season.

It's got nothing to do with the driver neither Ricciardo nor Verstappen are at fault for Red Bull's issues.

Excellent driver Danny Ric, but not as good as his team-mate. That must really hurt although no doubt he doesn’t think that. He’s in a horrid situation up against MAX, and if next year’s car’s any good, unless he has a stellar season he’ll be another Webber before he knows it. He won’t get a drive at another top team I don’t think.

Back
Top Bottom