Cycling

gethinceri It will hurt terribly, I'm afraid. My experience at Flanders has already proven that the cobbles there were tough enough for me. And those in Paris-Roubaix are much much worse. The distance of 153 is no problem, but the cobbles will hurt a lot.
The Amstel God Race is a competition between students: who downs the most beer (Amstel) is referred to as God for the rest of the year. (But actually it was a typo).:whistle:

I survived Paris-Roubaix :cheer: Did the 153 km in 5:40.

I was in a good group until the forest of Wallers-Arenberg (first cobblesection). The cobbles are terrible. Not meant for cycling.
The first 5 or so sections where OK. Then my hands started hurting. After 120 km I had some blisters on my hands. The last 4 cobblesections truly were the hell of the north. Especially section 5, 4 and 3 (they number them down towards the finish, and the tourist-challenge does't do the last section). This was mainly because that was 5 km of cobbles in 6 km, and they were very bad. After the last of those sections I was nearly crying, because my hands were totally cramped.

But I finished:1st: I had mentally prepared for the worst, and it wasn't worse than that (even a bit better, I'd say).
No technical difficulties and that with my regular racing bike. Only modification I made was an additional handlebar tape. And a bit less pressure in the tyres (6,5 instead of the regular 8).

Injured my knee, a hard ride after a few days off the bike has hurt the muscle in the back of my left leg. Luckily its raining for the next few days, so I can nurse it back to health on the trainer.

Just tried SIS energy bars today, bloody brilliant!

Also, for those who are interested, and do not have a copy, there is a good supplement about sprotives and training in the latest edition of cycling plus.

I bought a box of ZipVit gels, like Calpol but all sugar and the consistency of hawked-up snot. Does the job but makes me retch.

Back
Top Bottom