CTA Race of the Year 2015

i feel like i was in the minority but i prefered monaco to canada & quite liked it plenty of close racing even before those last 10 laps when i was shouting obscenities at the tv

5.3 out of 10 for Austria. Exhilarating...

ctarotyStandings.PNG

Williams flying past Mercedes at the start followed by some rain to mix things up meant that Silverstone actually gave us something that resembled a race! It comes in at 7.7 out of 10, just a touch behind Malaysia.

ctarotyStandings.PNG

Is this shaping up as the dullest season in F1 history? I always think 2002 was by far the worst with 2013 not far behind, but surely not this year?

There's just no stopping Hungary as this year's grand prix looks like another strong contender for race of the year, scoring 8.7 out of 10.

ctarotyStandings.PNG

I said as much on the poll thread.

I didn't rate Hungary highly at all but I suspect there was some kind of unconscious (or conscious) reaction to it not being a Mercedes win.

I think if you don't get the result you expect then its natural to assume it was more of an exciting race than one where you get the result you thought you would. Both Vettel wins have come out of the blue and I guess thats why we've all got our panties in a bunch about them.

The races I've rated well have generally been the ones with good midfield battles. To me, a good race is one with cars actually battling for position on the track, not a processional decided by pit stops. More off-track excursions also rate a little higher, as it tends to shake up the racing order, and provided the cars aren't too damaged to continue, means even more battling for track position. Having a winner other than the predictable one is a neat little bonus worth a point or two, in my opinion.

The fact that despite all of that, I still love a Monaco race sounds a bit odd, I know, but I just can't imagine F1 without Monaco - it's the place where the glitz, the glamour, the money and the history all come together for an extravagant display that you just don't see anywhere else.

That doesn't make them great, or even good, races though.

Well no but like I said people get swayed by a result.

What would be interesting would be asking people to rate races at the end of the year. That way they'd have to go off memory and only the good ones stick.

Then you'd get a different answer but not necessarily a better one. This way you get everyone's emotions as the season progresses, I think it's more interesting and relevant. It's a measure of how much people were enjoying F1 at the time.

Back
Top Bottom