CTA Race of the Year 2013

Canada probably wasn't that bad of a race, but compared to past Canadian races it was a disappointment and that's why it was given a low mark

Indeed, but a lot of people (myself included) had high expectations of Canada and the race fell below that hence the low mark yet if that race had happened at somewhere like South Korea it probably would have got a higher mark

tooncheese Here is an updated table with the average absolute deviation on the median. I'm yet to decide whether to use it ahead of the standard deviation, the only difference in the overall rankings at the moment is that Malaysia and Canada swap places. I'll think about it some more.

ctaroty.PNG

I think I'll probably use the average deviation to decide the most disputed race of the year with standard deviation as a tiebreaker. Average deviation on the median is defined as:

ctaroty.PNG

So it's the sum of the differences between all the votes and the median score, which is less biased towards outliers than the standard deviation.

Put simply, the larger the number the more we disagree (same for the standard deviation).

Couldn't you just add up all the scores for each race and divide by the number of voters? Or is that too simple? :)

That's the first column... the others are for tiebreakers and to get an idea of how much people agreed. If people prefer I can get rid of some of the displayed columns and name them something like "score", "disagreement factor" and "no. votes" to remove the statistics terminology.

The same thing happens every season - interest and member activity peaks at the start of the season and then reduces each race.

So, after a run of a few low scoring races along came Silverstone, which was anything but dull. I think most people would agree that it had the best racing of the year so far, at least in parts, but we also saw the debacle that was four tyre failures and many close calls. As a result, this race came down to how members decided to alter their scores based on the tyre failures. For some it created an intriguing and unprecedented race, with quite a few 10s being given, but more people reduced their scores and in some cases very heavily. This sees Silverstone fall behind Bahrain, Malaysia and Australia in the standings.

Updated table:

ctaroty.PNG

On to Germany!

It's been so long since the German GP that I can hardly remember it, but maybe that's not surprising because it scores a pretty average 6.5 out of 10, beating China by having a better median and mode. As seems to be increasingly the case as the season goes on people found a reason to give the race every possible score out of 10, so Germany scores pretty highly in the disputed race stakes but doesn't trouble the top 3. If Vettel carries on how he's going I suspect the average scores and no. votes will start to drop rapidly as the championship gets further and further out of reach of the likes of Alonso...

In other news, I have improved the layout of the table a bit so you can see what each column is for without having to understand the Maths terminology.

ctaroty.PNG

The summer break comes after Hungary so you'll have a whole month to vote!

Back
Top Bottom