CTA Race of the Year 2013

On reflection I have removed the adjusted mean from the results, I don't think it really achieves what I wanted it to. Unless I think of a better way soon I will just use the normal mean is the first criteria for deciding the winner.

Spain Results

Spain comfortably takes the place of China as the worst race so far with an average of 4.7. However, that doesn't tell the whole story as the most popular answer was actually 7/10, I think it was a mixture of people who thought it was a decent enough race, were intrigued by the strategy and maybe liked the drivers on the podium and people who just thought it was a dull race dominated by tyres. Because of the spread in votes Spain becomes the most disputed race of the year so far, with a standard deviation of 2.2.

ctabestrace.PNG

Monaco preview: It looks as if Monaco will slot in next to China, probably as the 2nd worst race so far, and it will be a close battle with Spain for the crown of most disputed race. After just over thirty votes every single score apart from 1/10 has already been given! CTA has become very indecisive recently!

Keep the votes coming!

So, Monaco was about as exciting as expected, i.e. not very, and it slots in between Spain and China as the 2nd worst race so far. However, there was a fair amount of disagreement between voters and Monaco received every possible score, from 1 out of 10 to full marks! It also just falls behind Spain in terms of the most disputed race so far though, with a standard deviation of 2.1 to Spain's 2.2.

Updated table:
ctabestrace.PNG

Canada this weekend, which based on history will be looking at challenging Bahrain and Malaysia at the top!

Kamui-FastestChefInTheWorld Here's a wishy washy, long winded explanation for you. I can define it in a more precise, mathsy, way if you'd like. I'm basically using it as a measure of how well people agreed how good a race was, and at the end of the season I'll use it to award the most disputed race of the year.

It's a measure of the spread in votes around the mean score. For example, if 50 people vote for a race and everyone gives it a score of 5, the average (mean) score is 5 and the standard deviation on that result is zero. Alternatively, if 5 people give the race each possible rating (1/10, 2/10, 3/10 etc.) the average is still 5 but the standard deviation is now 2.90. In the first scenario everyone agreed the race was a 5/10, there is no uncertainty on that score which means no standard deviation. In the second scenario people disagree about what rating the race should be given, so the standard deviation increases, and the more variation there is in the scores the larger the standard deviation. In the most extreme case with 50 voters and an average score of 5, if 25 people give the race 1/10 and 25 give it 10/10, the standard deviation is 4.55.

Here's a little figure to show it for you, each colour line represents a different standard deviation for a typical distribution of votes with a mean of 5 plotted against the score given on the horizontal axis and the number of votes each score receives on the vertical axis. You can see that with a larger standard deviation there are more votes for scores further away from the average as I described.

standardDeviation.png

So Bahrain is voted best race of the season so far? Who'd have predicted that?

Funny that the best race was also the most debated incident wise. Not my favourite so far though.

For me Canada was one of the best races of the season so far and the closest thing we've come to real racing not dominated by nursing tyres. However, the general consensus is that it didn't live up to expectations for a race at Montreal, which has given us some great races over the past few years.

Believe it or not but this means that Canada has ended up with the same average score as Monaco, but Monaco edges it by having the slight edge in terms of the most common (or mode) score.

ctaroty.PNG

That's now three races in a row with scores below 6/10, whereas the first four all got scores above 6 and three of them about 7. There were also less votes than normal in Canada, is this season already starting to lose out interest? Maybe Silverstone will buck the trend...

Glad to hear it sushifiesta.

In a true democracy all votes count.

Will you/have you adjusted previous results to reflect this new departure? :)

I'll look in to it, I haven't come across it before but sounds like it might be the right thing to use. I'm very busy for the next few days but after that I'll have a play... you might need to remind me!

Back
Top Bottom