Climate change, global warming & the environment

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by cider_and_toast, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I might buy an electric car.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    All we need to do is get big companies to find a way of making shed loads of money out of being Carbon Neutral and its problem solved.

4. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

My neighbour has an electric car, he says there aren't really enough places to charge them yet, but then the authorities say there aren't enough electric cars on the road to spend the money putting in places to charge them, so people don't buy them because there aren't enough places to charge them and..... are you seeing the problem here?

Titch likes this.
  5. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I’m also considering buying an electric car, my gas guzzler has to go. I know people with e-cars who say it’s easy enough to find charge-points, once you’ve got an account with all the various operators. So it’s a bit of hassle but once up and running it’s supposedly straightforward. They regularly drive to Germany and back, completely free, and quite enjoy the logistics of planning a route with stops to charge and rest or eat etc. Best thing to at the mo is write to your MP imploring him/her to argue for more charge points.

My main block is price. Them cars is well pricey. I assume the prices will be high for a while so that the manufacturers’ investments in fossil fuel-burning ICEs doesn’t disappear overnight. Hope they come down sooner than later. And if you’re gonna go electric go electric. Not one of these hybrids or one with a small secondary petrol engine for emergencies, full electric. I think.

gethinceri likes this.
  6. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Have they devised an eco-friendly way to dispose of the batteries? The last I heard, they went into toxic landfills.

7. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    1 in 12 cars sold last year was electric. The change is coming. vintly second hand Renault Zoe's start at around 7k.

vintly likes this.
  8. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Aye Greenlantern101 that looks a sensible deal, but I need something bigger. Are you thinking Zoe?

9. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Yeh zoe is my best option. Everything else is too expensive. Don't fancy the Nissan Leaf the active pedal sounds weird.

Zoe looks good though. Going to arrange a test drive.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Subscribe to Fully Charged on YouTube, it'll blow your mind.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  11. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I've just ordered a new hybrid to replace by old diesel, however, motor cars are the least of our worries. The simple act of existing means you are using resources which cannot be recovered and as a result emit stuff in to the atmosphere which will have an adverse effect. The only true way we can control environmental issues is to control population levels.

If any of you would like to see what is emitted where you can have a look through here - NAEI, UK National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory - NAEI, UK

gethinceri and Greenlantern101 like this.
  12. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Population control is the ultimate taboo. Nobody mentions it. Ever.

I'm off to plant some trees.

Clay likes this.
  13. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

Except David Attenborough

14. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 likes this.
  15. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    So Australia, America and China not about to save the planet then. Not looking good for my grandchildren.

16. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Australia has zero excuses. A massive inland desert suitable for massive solar farms, and surrounded by ocean for tidal and wind farms. Get a grip mate.

17. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

And the biggest uranium mines.

18. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    None of the above-mentioned three have any excuse except greed. None of the governments give a hoot about the environment if they can make more money by continuing to pollute.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice