Announcement Chump of the Weekend Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, it's impossible to win.

There have been many, many complaints and remarks about this place turning into 606 recently.
Yet when we try to do something about it we get more complaints.

I really do despair and have literally had enough.

Sorry to hear that Bro!

My last twopenneth - a long held belief - 'better to be a dragon master than a dragon slayer' ;)

These polls are very popular, and, yes, some individuals may misuse the privilege, the majority do not. It would, perhaps, be more to the point if the individuals concerned were blocked rather than the threads pulled.

We are walking down an extremely difficult tightrope. We don't want to be a site which bans people too quickly, nor do we want to give haters a platform.

The Chump thread has seemed to encourage hate and circular "my driver is better than your driver" "discussions" which are difficult to moderate because the votes are still displayed.

We are doing everything we can to prevent this site devolving into 606, whilst attracting as many high quality posters as possible.

The problem is, as individuals, we all see things differently. This is what triggers debate in the first place. Indeed a difficult call.

Agreed Axle.

But there's no justification for voting Vettel at Turkey or Hamilton at Valencia.
As people are therefore unable to utilise the feature in its intended fashion, maturely and sensibly, it has been withdrawn.

I do disagree with that assesment. There are reasons to vote both, they may not be reasons you like Bro, but they are still valid reasons. I know this is your forum and you can do what you want, but the other side of having a public forum is putting up with peoples views whether you agree with them or not, otherwise you run the risk of becoming a dictatorship and losing members. The line is a very thin one and none of it should be taken personally, but equally, it shouldn't be that difficult (he says) to differentiate between the trolls and someone with a genuine opinion on a certain matter.

I'd prefer to see those responsible axed rather than the poll.

We know who they are, we can see who they are, it's not just the chump thread they are derailing, it's every thread they touch that somehow they manage to turn into a Vettel vs Hamilton vs Alonso based in the majority on speculative, conspiracy crap. We do bite it's in our nature and everyone of us has retaliated at some point.

If you axe the thread because of the minority then they are one step closer to victory. Deal with the root cause, the chump thread isn't it.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Aren't the 'ironic' posts just as disruptive to debate as the 'hater's?

And what about the oppositely strongly pro posts/votes? JB - Driver of the weekend in Valencia?!? Haven't read the thread, but what justification?

And what about the oppositely strongly pro posts/votes? JB - Driver of the weekend in Valencia?!? Haven't read the thread, but what justification?

If anyone responds to this in this thread I will hunt you down and beat you like the dogs you are...

As for irony, the problem is it's difficult to distinguished in the written word and people often take it the wrong way. Maybe we need an irony emote?

Although I haven't voted in this weeks poll as I don't believe there was a chump, I can't say I agree with shelving the thread simply due to a few people. What you have to remember Bro is that this is a public forum and therefore any poll of this kind will be the most democratic you can possibly get anywhere in the world. If people want to vote their least favourite or even certain groups of people block vote for their favourite, it is still democratic.

Therefore keeping the poll is more of a study in perception of a mindset at the time the poll takes place and in that sense it is of significance as a form of anthropology if nothing else.

I say keep it.

Valid points but I feel they can all be dealt within the driver of the weekend thread (what Brogan said). At least there'll be a positive undertone to it (i get the impression this is the image the forum aims to convey) even if people don't vote rationally.

As usual, it's impossible to win.
There have been many, many complaints and remarks about this place turning into 606 recently.
Yet when we try to do something about it we get more complaints.
I really do despair and have literally had enough.
Obviously Bro, rather like the stewards at a race meeting, you have access to more information than the rest of us. I wasn't aware of how many complaints you had received, although I have noticed a tendency towards trolling with some of the new intake since the closure of that other forum (I guess that was inevitable really).

While I still do agree with jenov in principle, I can also see that it would be difficult to have to ban a member just for a placing a biased vote in a poll, when that member may in other areas be making perfectly reaonable and positive contributions to the forum.
So, whatever my personal opinion on the merits of the polls, I respect your right as founder/administrator of this site in taking any action you feel is necessary to keep its standards up to the high level that are the reason most of us are here in the first place.

You're the boss, after all is said and done. So don't despair, we're all behind you really (well I am, anyway).

Thanks Chad.
Trust me when I say the complaints have been many and quite vociferous, with some members even questioning whether they want to continue posting here.
I considered taking some fairly drastic action several times...

Permission to vote on polls can be removed from individual members, and even on a per forum basis.
I did actually remove the ability from one (non-posting) member who deliberately troll voted and contributed nothing more to the forum. So strictly speaking all other members who participated in vote spoiling should also have had their privileges removed.
That itself will just generate more problems though, as those members can't then vote on any other poll and will of course argue that they're entitled to vote as they please, as evidenced by this thread.

As I said, it's a shame that individuals can't be expected to enter into the spirit of the poll, but human nature being what it is...

So the CotW polls will cease, which will remove a lot of the negativity from the forum.

For those who don't like it, other forums are available.

If anyone responds to this in this thread I will hunt you down and beat you like the dogs you are...

As for irony, the problem is it's difficult to distinguished in the written word and people often take it the wrong way. Maybe we need an irony emote?
Were you being ironic there FB? Couldn't quite tell.

Too much sunshine and not enough footie on the telly ...... things should improve by the end of August? :thinking:

In the meantime -

Pulling a thread will not stop those that are determined to disrupt from doing so, or attempting to. That goes for the entire message board, not just one thread.

I know this is your forum and you can do what you want, but the other side of having a public forum is putting up with peoples views whether you agree with them or not, otherwise you run the risk of becoming a dictatorship and losing members.

There are many different forums out there, it makes sense that each should reflect to some degree the founder/proprietors values. This is not a publicly funded BBC site. The rules, decisions and choices of the proprietor sets the tone and those who dont like it will leave anyway.

Its almost like having a restaurant or bar, you cannot deny entry but you can run it exactly how you like and some will stay and some will leave.

Yes a forum works because many have different views but the nature and manner of debating those views can differ greatly. Its not about shutting out those with different views from your own, you would soon get bored with the discussions, its about behaving in a certain manner and in a certain spirit, and that is set out by the one who provides the forum.

Its a fine line between growing numbers (no one prefers a static membership) and maintaining a culture, but thats the challenge. This is the nature of growth in any business or venture, growth brings change. Its easy for members to complain about closing a thread, they dont have to deal with the big picture.

Personally, I think that as long as everyone follows the rules then naturally those with extreme views (haters) will find a natural resistance and ridiculing of those views and approaches leading to them heading for somewhere they find more accepting. If members come up with these statements or articles then they should be expected to be challenged and ridiculed by more intelligent and reasonable members.

Just my 2 pennies worth

Oh sad to see this thread go, but i understand Brogans point of view. If people can't vote responsibly then maybe it is best to pull the thread. Just a shame that some people feel the need to spoil it for other people to have an adult debate about the thread in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom