Technical Can we talk about the Halo?

F1's Halo Device?

• Total voters
Photos are out of the Red Bull Aero Screen concept that will be on track in in practice.

f1-russian-gp-2016-daniel-ricciardo-red-bull-racing-rb12-with-the-aeroscreen.jpg

f1-russian-gp-2016-daniel-ricciardo-red-bull-racing-rb12-with-the-aeroscreen.jpg

f1-russian-gp-2016-red-bull-racing-rb12-with-the-aeroscreen.jpg

Well it's not anywhere near as bad as the halo but its still a bit 'clunky' :unsure:

I would like to see an in-cockpit view

Last edited:
Looking at it from the side is Ok but the 2nd pic makes it look as a 'wall' in from of the driver. Let's see how it goes tomorrow as Riccardo is taking it for a spin during FP1.

This video is slightly disingenuous, not impressed. The first impact shows the tyre hitting the driver 'helmet', but the next two close-ups don't. Unnecessarily sloppy production from red Bull. A bit more explanation and less fanfare music would have been appreciated.

However, I guess it works pretty well. Amazing really considering the impact forces.

i think its looks quite nice, no difference to looking at a LMP1 car & miles better aesthetically pleasing & vision wise that halo we saw on kimi raikkonen's ferrari in winter testing, because we wont have a blind spot right in front the driver which when overtake will always be better. i cant understand why we didnt do this 1st time with asking 1 of greatest aero designers F1 has had to design this halo/canopy/aeroscreen

Capture 4.PNG
It doesn't really matter if it looks good or not, what matters is that if it's necessary then it works. As pointed out by vintly above, the first "launch" of the wheel hits the helmet, thus proving that it doesn't necessarily fit its purpose. Of course, I am biased as I can't help thinking that if anything that comes out of Red Bull gets accepted for use in F1 Christian Horner will hold a lavish celebratory winkathon to laud his own magnificence.

Last edited:
Will these devices (halo or otherwise) find their way onto every FIA sanctioned series? After all, there's not a lot of difference receiving a head strike in any open wheeled car.

The FIA have already said that one of these designs will be on the car next it's just a question of which. To that end I'm now moving towards a closed canopy instead of this half way house leaving a little 'sunroof' for the sake of tradition. I still fear for a drivers ability to exit the car in a hurry though.

Pretty pathetic day for the F1 overlords.

If the Monaco drain cover had any impact on this decision they should be embarrassed as there's every likelihood the "Halo" could direct something like that INTO the cockpit.

According to reports not enough testing has been done on the cockpit screen so, with the deadline approaching to enable teams to incorporate the chosen design into their cars, the Halo has been picked.

Testing will continue on the cockpit screen and this may be considered for 2018.

According to reports not enough testing has been done on the cockpit screen so, with the deadline approaching to enable teams to incorporate the chosen design into their cars, the Halo has been picked.

Testing will continue on the cockpit screen and this may be considered for 2018.
Great so really un sexy cars for next season, the screen on the Red Bull looks much safer & esthetically better.

Back
Top Bottom