BTCC BTCC 2011 Season

I decided to have a look at the WTCC, through the boring qualifying, I did notice that Chevy are using turbo cars and are much faster than most of the rest of the field. Why don't RML have these cars?
I think they get last season's WTCC cars, so I expect they'll have them for 2012.

Have been converted this year to watching BTCC - that last round was fun!
For no reason(I think he was battling for position when I tuned in) but I'm supporting Andy Jordan - unlucky a couple of weekend ago but great at Donnington. And given the bias of the forum i have accepted supporting Plato over Matt Neal. One hell of a tumble for him though last time

I notice that TOCA have announced a turbo boost reduction of 0.1 bar for Thruxton.
Not being knowledgeable about these things, I have no idea whether that's a little or a lot (but it doesn't sound like much, given the original limit of 1.8 bar).

Well they obviously have the same concerns as a lot of drivers and fans, so that's a good thing at least.

It remains to be seen if it has the desired effect or whether another reduction is necessary.

I think they are more worried about the tyres at Thruxton as the Turbos knacker the back tyres faster and guessing this could become an issue..

Now who's the moaner, eh? :D

I think it was fairly obvious to everyone that the turbo cars have had a significant advantage over the NA cars so far this season.
Even at the first race it was Neal on pole comfortably.

I notice that TOCA have announced a turbo boost reduction of 0.1 bar for Thruxton.
Not being knowledgeable about these things, I have no idea whether that's a little or a lot (but it doesn't sound like much, given the original limit of 1.8 bar).

Think of it as about a 5% reduction in peak power... If they were pushing 300hp last round, they will be down around 15hp for this race.:)

Grizzly, thanks for that. Is the 300hp anything like actual figure for the turbo engines, or just an example to show the maths?

And do you (or does anyone) have any idea how much of a hp advantage the turbo cars actually had over the non-turbo cars in the first two meetings? Plato Some might have been hoping for a bigger reduction than 0.1 bar.

I think the target power ever since the 2.0 fixed class was bought in (ever since the RS500s were outed) has been 300hp.

That's a nice achievable figure with a 2.0l NA engine, but doing it with the help of a turbo means you can achieve that figure with a much less advanced (read cheaper) engine.

Also, beyond peak power, a turbo engine will give you a much larger torque spread (a broader, more usable range of power) which is perhaps why the turbos have enjoyed the advantage so far this season.

The mid-late 90s Honda's and Renault's were pushing 320hp+ NA, very impressive, but also very 'peaky' power, and extremely expensive. Using the same capacity with a turbo allows a much cruder (relatively) engine, and gives much flatter power. The regulators have achieved more reliable engines, that cost less, and produce better power spread, so its a +++, once everybody has it...

I have to admit, I've not kept up with the season thus far in 2011, so I'm not 100% up to speed:disappointed:

Also, beyond peak power, a turbo engine will give you a much larger torque spread (a broader, more usable range of power) which is perhaps why the turbos have enjoyed the advantage so far this season.

Oddly enough regards the torque spread, although they qualified up front they've been having tho launch in 2nd gear to stop wheelspin.

Plato the fastest of the NA cars but almost 1 second off the pole time.

Looks like that reduction in boost was really effective :rolleyes:

Meh! This is turning out to be a very disappointing season.

The Turbo powered Hondas are just walking away with it and meanwhile Plato is out again after hitting a barrier.

Meh! This is turning out to be a very disappointing season.

The Turbo powered Hondas are just walking away with it and meanwhile Plato is out again after hitting a barrier.
Other drivers are available.;)

He he Mr Brogan won't be happy with the race 2 result ;)

Here is a weird observation I noticed when they did the "in car" interview with Andrew Jackson that he wasn't wearing gloves, either he took them off on the slowing down lap or he wasn't wearing them. Most odd.

A much better result in round 3 but those turbos still have a huge advantage.
They were just breezing past the NA cars on the straights.

Back
Top Bottom