1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll Big Rims be Bling Blinging

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Greenlantern101, Jul 8, 2014.

?
  1. Yes please thats Bling Blinging

73.7%
  2. Noooo your destroying F1 I hate you

15.8%
  3. I vote Lib Dem

10.5%
  1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Pirrelli are running 18 inch rims on Wednesday's test at Silverstone and have just released some CGI images of what they will look like.

As I understand it 18 inch rims will make the tyres easier to manufacture and more reliable. As well as making them more relevant to road cars. It will mean possibly significant changes to suspension if this test goes well. If it does go ahead it won't come in until 2017.

What what do we think. Is it worth whilst technically ? Does it look better ?

http://www.pirelli.com/corporate/en...o-rendering-of-pirellis-18-inch-concept-tyre/

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 13.45.25.png Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 13.45.36.png

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. chreden

chreden Podium Finisher Contributor

I'll wait till tomorrow. It's hard to really tell anything from those images because there's no context and the angles are a bit mad.

Fenderman likes this.
  4. F1Yorkshire

F1Yorkshire Avatar for sale to the highest bidder Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    So what have we had recently; 18 inch wheels, sparks from skid plates and a big bore exhaust.

Has F1 being taken over by Max Power?

Andyoak and Fenderman like this.
  5. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    F1 sponsored by Ripspeed. Up next leapard skin seat covers and LED lights under the car.

Personally, from a technical perspective I like it. It makes the car more predictable, and the suspension more controllable, but this would only make sense in terms of road technology if the teams were allowed to pursue active suspension/ride height etc, otherwise, road car technology is currently way ahead in this area.

Fenderman likes this.
  6. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    From a purely cosmetic point of view I'd much prefer 18" of WIDTH rear-wheels, like they had in the seventies.

[​IMG]

They looked well mean didn't they.

7. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Oh yeh now thats ridin dirty.

8. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If the regulations allow it, the new wheels would make it possible to fit larger brakes.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  9. ExtremeNinja

ExtremeNinja Karting amateur Contributor

They can fit bigger brakes now. They reduced the size of the brakes because the harvesting unit is doing a lot of the work with the current regulations.

10. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It seems Motorsport is blinging up. The Formula E cars are the first single seaters to run alloys and now F1 is giving us a rim job ;)

Fenderman and ExtremeNinja like this.
  11. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    No harm in testing these things out. Not sure 'bling' comes into the equation though.

Fenderman likes this.
  12. sushifiesta

sushifiesta Champion Elect Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It's difficult to say from the mock-ups but it doesn't look like it will make very much difference to the appearance of the cars to me.

13. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. soccerman17

soccerman17 Race Winner

I could care less about the size, whatever is more relevant is cool with me. But those rims look idiotic.

15. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Race Winner

I like them!

16. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 11.08.26.png Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 11.20.48.png Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 11.21.34.png Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 11.21.46.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  17. F1Yorkshire

F1Yorkshire Avatar for sale to the highest bidder Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I'm not convinced makes F1 look like this.

[​IMG]

Andyoak and Fenderman like this.
  18. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    I think I like it. Give it half a season and the 13 inch wheels will look stupid.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Fenderman and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  19. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Combined with today's stiff suspensions these wheels would make riding over any kerb or bumps a very back-breaking business indeed.

20. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

Barking up the wrong tree, there's no bling involved. From memory 13" rims were mandated back in the day to make them 'relevant to road cars,' heard that one before... Well what was the last car anyone bought with 13" hobnobs for wheels and tyre profiles the size of your face?

Its about time this long promised change was implemented. I think there was talk that due to the complete redesign required on the suspension (about 50% of the current cars travel is in the side wall of the tyre and completely uncontrollable by the teams beyond small variations in tyre pressure), they would wait until the teams had got their heads round the 2014 changes...

Fenderman and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  21. ZakspeedYakspeed

ZakspeedYakspeed NeverUnderestimateThePredictabilityOfStupidity Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If they can get them blades (rims for those who don't live in double wide trailers in the nether regions of the US of a) with spinners going counter clockwise with some LED lights then I'm all for it ....

8-)

Share This