Technical Between Season Discussion Thread.

I fear they could go for a technical solution such as applying a computer-generated 'tag' to the moving car, much like the info graphics we saw popping up on what looked like the side of the track for a driver in Abu Dhabi. This would be really irritating.

They could be useful but only if they were generated as an optional extra that you could turn on and off similar to subtitles on TV, surely the technology exists for this to be possible.

Why have Mercedes left it so late to negotiate with Hamilton?
They had other things to give priority to, like winning the title, and starting next season as champion will undoubtedly affect his value to the team regarding sponsorship dollars.

According to a Mark Hughes piece I've just read in an e-mail link from Motorsport Magazine, Flabio spent the best part of last season trying to arrange a swap deal between Fernando and Hamilton. Apparently Toto wanted none of it because, according to Hughes, while Hamilton and Nico had their moments during the season they still got on relatively well and he didn't think the team dynamic would be the same with Alonso in the squad.

I think, between the two parties, Hamilton and Mercedes, the intention has always been long term but now they can talk seriously about the dosh, a reigning world champion should be due a pay rise I reckon.

In reference to the computer generated tags on screen. I enjoy them showing driver locations (as per US broadcasts of Indycar and Nascar).

What I don't like it when they are used just because. I.e. Bernie's love letter to DM in Autria, or when ads are "placed" on the side of the track. If you can, please watch the Abu Double GP again and look for the floating logo at the end of the long straight. You can see it in the top left hand corner of the screen when the camera angle looks back at the straight from the other side of the chicane. The same ad was already physically displayed at the corner. One more computer generated sign probably did the trick at clinching the sale though.

There have been other instances of this, again in another location at Abu Dahbi and at Sochi that I can remember off the top of my head.

I just found myself thinking "why?"

I like Mr. Hamilton's new toy. It seems to be trying a little too hard, but if it helps out a few fans then God's speed. Bernie sure isn't doing anything to help new fans come to the sport who don't have a shed load of cash, this might help a few people fall in love with the sport.

Could the cars go out like a green screen and then have the sponsorship projected on to them? Then the teams could have local sponsors for each TV network or a different sponsor for each lap.

Could the cars go out like a green screen and then have the sponsorship projected on to them? Then the teams could have local sponsors for each TV network or a different sponsor for each lap.
Excellent idea, and if the drivers helmets and crew overalls had the same 'green screen' effect then all the cars and teams would be completely indistinguishable to any people at track-side, even during pit-stops. :yes:

This means paying fans at the actual Grand Prix would be superfluous, as all information to allow viewing of the 'show' would solely depend upon television technology - specially erected grandstands would save a fortune and the TV revenue for Bernie enormous!

Obviously all the usual b-list celebs, to be seen chatting amongst themselves while eating lunch, and a full compliment of vacuous totty in the pit garages would still be required as there could be more screen-time available to include them on a ad-fee paying basis.

Anybody thinking this would cause a loss of atmosphere clearly hasn't seen the opportunity to have CGI 'green screen' of full to over-flowing stands at every corner of the circuit and every member of the 'audience' rapturously enthused from lights to flag. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom