Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

It all sounds pretty plausible; but I reckon it will be closer to the start of the new season.

So sweepstakes time...

Leader of UK
Leader of USA
Leader of USSR

He's gotta fill the days in his retirement :)

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG :cheer::cheers::D

freak.gif

Last edited:
Big shame that its come to such an undignified end. Bernie should have handed power over when he hit 80. He did a huge amount for the sport and yes he made billions but no one else would have made it the massive world wide business it is now. Sadly his last few years were more marked for his strange views and questionable pals. The new owners will make mistakes and will upset some people but I enter this new period full of hope that they really do understand they are in an entertainment business as much as a sport.

Isn't it about now that the new 'owner' discovers that they don't actually own F1 after all?

I'm happy to see the back of him, but I've this horrible feeling that it's going to get worse before it gets better, with the best paid teams trying to form another series if Liberty tries to sort out the payments system to make it fairer to all...

It's a sad day for me as he built Formula 1 up to huge global sport it is today & without bernie sport would be nowhere near as popular, probally 1 of Britain's greatest negotiators. Sure their is a great story back in 70s he was trying to get f1 televised, some tv companies only wanted the glamour races & the finale. But he played hard ball said all or nothing & eventually persuaded them to take them all

although admittedly in this last decade bernie had gone a bit £££ mad almost unravelling all his great f1 work. With sky high budgets, minnows struggling to survive & doubt he's too welcome in India/S Korea after the 700m spent + 2 10 yr deals he gave them. They had 4 gps between them

Back
Top Bottom