BBC F1 2013

That's shoddy by the Wimbledon presenters - although the BBC wouldn't have this problem if they hadn't given up the rights :whistle:

Can't say I'm shocked. Sky coverage is kicking its arse at the moment and BBC don't know what to do with a series they only have half the rights too.

I expect it to go like the football with Sky having the live coverage and a highlights package on terristeral.

Be interesting to see if the ratings boost upwards if this Ron Howard film is a sucess.

Well they recently got the FA Cup back so money had to be saved somewhere, and unfortunately F1 would be in the firing line. I'd imagine that the teams wouldn't be too happy - no live British GP or championship decides on FTA. Of course, F1 viewing figures would probably plummet even more than they have done already. Does anyone know how many people watch Sky F1?

Well I know I watch it, mjo, and that Mephistopheles will soon be allowed to again what with the injunction expiring and all that so soon that will be at least two. But I watch it on Sky and Meph only imagines it and draws it in flicker book style with the crayons they give him for the short periods before he eats them.
So, that's one I know of for sure.

Don't be surprised if the Beeb's wish to break ties with F1 is linked to the political and legal fallout that is starting to issue from the "Gribkowsky Affair and Bernie's Bribe" and the revelations concerning F1's tax affairs. As a taxpayer owned company that pays F1 substantially more for TV rights than F1 pays in tax it would seem a most prudent measure to get out whilst the going has been good. The term "guilt by association" springs to mind when I wonder how many fingers are going to be burned when the Big Top of the F1 circus goes to blazes.

The average viewing figures for races shown on Sky tends to be anywhere between about 600000 and 1 million. The viewing figures for the BBC (either highlights or live races) sits around 3.5 to 4.5 million depending on the time of day or location of the race. Obviously these are rough figures. You can find more accurate ones by having a look at the BARB website.

The SKY figures do not make it in to the top 30 non terrestrial viewing figures (satellite and cable) even when SKY are the only ones with a race live.

SKY's new fan club in the shape of Autosport put up several articles in the off season stating that viewing figures hadn't really fallen since SKY took over but the actual figures showed the opposite and while I haven't looked at this season, I see no reason why the downward trend hasn't continued.

The coverage was always going to end up totally as PPV once Sky got a foot in the door. Fortunately, SKY has a proven track record in helping to raise the profile of single seater motorsports with exclusive PPV rights. Just look at what that did for IRL, A1 GP and Masters GP.......

Hmmmm hang on a sec.

Last edited:
As much as I like Sky, I find their coverage boring, BBC may have dumbed F1 down, but they made it interesting for the casual viewer while still informing you on what's going on. For entertainment value, BBC was second to none which is why Sky has quite a big fan base because people wanted to know more. I don't see how PPV F1 will go down though

Sky are not out to cater for the casual viewer they charge for a service so casual doesn't come into it, to be honest I have tried watching F1 on the BBC when they do have a full race and after ten minuets I turn back over to sky as I find the coverage much more entertaining and much more informed, and after all that's what I'm paying for and that is exactly what I get.....

Obviously I have to pay my licence fee as well but I totally resent that...

Last edited:
BBCs online content is still better than Sky's, that might be one of/the only way that BBC's service is better. Sky don't upload full races.

Schumie is going to be interviewed on 5Live F1 tonight. Apparently he will be explaining why his comeback was a complete success.

Back
Top Bottom