Ayrton Senna

Today (19 August 2011) "Senna" opens in Toronto and i'm taking off early from work to catch a matinee' viewing. This is about as good a time as any to open this thread...

From Prost's thread:

This has to be said and i'll say it again here...

The director of the movie "Senna" - Asif Kapadia - was on a Motor Sport Magazine podcast with then McLaren manager Jo Ramirez (who, unusually, was a trusted friend of both Senna and Prost)...and in the podcast he said something like this:

(Paraphrasing) "We had access to all of Bernies archives...and when we looked at the video of the cars coming out of Tosa at Imola, Schumacher's Benetton was the only car which exhibited unusual signs of, *ahem*, traction control...even the other Benetton didn't have it..."

Go to the Motor Sport Magazine website and click on 'podcasts' and listen for yourselves (June 15th podcast, I think).

Why do I bring it up? Well Senna suspected Schumacher's Benetton B194 had TC/LC and was driving out of his skin to make up for the difference. He noticed that it sounded and behaved differently (to even Verstappen's B194) while he watched them circulating from the wall after retiring at Aida (the second race of the year).

I don't need to go on about it, but you get the point.

Where does Prost come into this? Well, the Podcast goes into how Senna was on the telephone with Prost during that time talking, among other things, about that precise matter.

If Senna said that Schumi's car was using a form of TC, then personally I'd believe him. Prost believed Senna too. There aren't exactly any better qualified people to know such a thing. One thing I must say, however, is that despite the fact that Senna was trying to make up the difference through his own driving to keep up with Schumacher, I don't think this had anything to do with his death, something that a few twisted people (in my opinion) seem to think. Tamburello is not a corner that should worry an F1 car, even back then.

There was no greater expert on the sights and sounds of a Formula One car at Aida that day than Senna himself...And if his expert ears and eyes noted that only Schumacher's B194 sounded and reacted like it had traction control then i'm going to believe it. Period.

As per the accident at Tamburello...well, the saftey car that day wasn't exactly a Mercedes-Benz AMG...I believe it was an Opel and, as a result, a bit 'too' slow. The tyre pressures dropped significantly and that would have affected the ride height. Tamburello had a few bumps and when they went flat out again right after the SC pulled in, there's a reasonable chance the ride height wasn't what Senna would have imagined it to be.

[Safety Cars were a newer phenomenon in Formula One back then too, by the way. They were first properly introduced the year before (1993) and used only in two Grand Prix races.

They made many rule changes after that race, including making sure Safety Cars were faster so as to ensure tyre pressures didn't fall off significantly.]

Regardless, what are CTA members' memories and thoughts of Senna?

Mine were mixed. I thought he was immense and the fastest since Villeneuve ... but a bully. I was never his biggest fan primarily because his on track tactics at times bordered on insanity. Whereas Villeneuve risked his own life mainly, Senna didn't seem to have a problem with risking other drivers' lives while he was taking chances with his own.

Having said that, i'd rate the Brazilian thus All Time:

1= Senna
1= Prost
3. Clark
4. Fangio
5. Schumacher
6= Stewart
6= Moss

What are your thoughts and memories of the man and the driver?

Senna would have turned 54 today. Google celebrates the day with a Doodle dedicated to him

2ab27da6eb3102e102dc6ff3081ad9f2_zpsbfeb63c6.jpg

Overhyped but not over rated.

What that graph shows is that in 30 of his 41 wins Senna was in direct competition with a world champion driver which I think is a clear sign the wins were acheived in a very competitive field.

Always that graph shows that Mclaren had a lot less 1-2's with the Berger/Senna combination than I remember and that we never got to see a straight fight between Senna and Schumacher.

Do we really have to bang on about him every anniversary of his death? From what I recall he was a dangerous driver who wasn't without his faults.

He is just another dead bloke.

Two drivers died that weekend you know or was Roland's life less significant than Senna's?

Hang on this is the Senna thread isn't it? I'll go and post on the Roland one.

Oh wait, I can't because he hasn't got one.

Last edited:
Both deaths affected my family very deeply. In fact, it prompted my mother to bring up the possibility of my dad retiring as a racing mechanic. There was a very somber mood in my house for the week following their deaths.

I had been painting a picture of Senna, not for the anniversary specifically, but you bring up a good point, Meph, so when I've finished my Senna painting, I'll be trying to find some good references to paint Ratzenberger too. I won't release either of them until they're both finished.

There are numerous reasons that add to the significance of Senna's death. Yes he had his faults, but even with those faults he was certainly one of the greatest of the modern era, possibly even the greatest. What many don't realise he is the only Formula One World Champion in the sports history to die in a Formula One Grand Prix. Others have been killed in GP's but not F1 World Champions. Other F1 Champions have died in other formulas or testing, but never in a Grand Prix. Only Senna lost his life during a Formula One GP. That may not mean much to some people but it had a hell of an impact on me.

Back
Top Bottom