Ask The Apex

What's the highest number of pit stops a driver has made in an F1 race and still been classified? This was prompted by looking at the OTDB lap chart for Italy where Nasr made 4 stops, 3 in consecutive laps, and then retired.

I recently watched the las laps of Monaco 1982 on youtube. Several guys crashed or ran out of fuel on there last lap (De cesaris, pironi, Daly, Patrese). Patrese got going again, and so won. Since Pironi and De Cesaris had lapped Mansell twice, they were classified before him and Mansell was classified 4th.
Now i didn't check how long the race was, but it got me wondering. What if Patrese hadn't got going again, and the two-hour limit had passed before Mansel had unlapped himself (as said, I don;t know if this would have happened, but let's say it would). Then Patrese, Pironi and De Cesaris would have had more mileage than Mansell, and had finished their last complete lap before he finished that lap. When Mansell got the chequered flag, he'd still be down a lap on them. Who would have won?

I don't know but they didn't run out of fuel?... Patrese got a push-start after spinning at Lowes and Pironi and De Cesaris were stopped by electric problems.

Last edited:
Apex people please help if you can.
On my journey home, mostly up the M5 / M6 which appears to be mostly under repair and therefore start stop driving, until about Lancaster when I could actually put my foot down. I stopped at Tebay, and then headed onward, but before Penrith (not far) the car started to stink, rotten fish sprang to mind, it was almost overpowering, I thought it was something that had been sprayed on the fields around. It faded, and we continued home.
When I next got into the car, and started the engine, I got the same smell, only for a moment, but I realised it was my car and not some mad farmer, it's happened several times on start up now, always fades very quickly. So before I take it into the dealer, do you have any idea what the problem may be.
It's a Peugeot 3008 Diesel.

What if Patrese hadn't got going again, and the two-hour limit had passed before Mansel had unlapped himself (as said, I don;t know if this would have happened, but let's say it would). Then Patrese, Pironi and De Cesaris would have had more mileage than Mansell, and had finished their last complete lap before he finished that lap. When Mansell got the chequered flag, he'd still be down a lap on them. Who would have won?

Excellent question. Article 43.2 of the F1 Sporting Regulations says this:
Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was given.

So I think that means the infamous countback comes into force, and the classification is taken from the last lap completed by the leader, which in this case was (I think) Patrese.

Frequently gethinceri, cheeky sod.
:D

What is a DPF Dartman ? Anyway it's a 2012
Diesel Particle Filter, they get semi blocked and the car over fuels and the filter is set on fire, burns with a smell similar to burning clutch, you need to drive at 2500 rpm for about 20 mins to avoid the regeneration, not possible in the UK unless in a lowish gear, perhaps 4th may be legal, depends on the gearing:(

Oh OK, I do the rpm thing, mind I've only been doing it for about ten minutes at a time. Possibly not enough then. However I'm surprised it would happen on a long motorway journey. I normally use 5th gear, as the car has 6 .
I'll be really fed up if it's the filter though, they're expensive to fix.

Back
Top Bottom