1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask CTA Anything.

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Greenlantern101, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Following the success of the motorsport only thread Ask The Apex
    I thought it would be fun to have an ask anything thread.

I will get things started. This kept me awake for an hour last night. Don't ask where it came from.

Q. If anything multiplied by zero = zero and anything multiplied by infinity = infinity, then what is zero multiplied by infinity ? 0 x ∞ = ? :thinking:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Zero.

Infinite zero is still zero.

gethinceri and Greenlantern101 like this.
  4. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    But infinite anything is infinite.

5. tooncheese

tooncheese Hans Heyer Contributor

Zero is infinite.

gethinceri and Greenlantern101 like this.
  6. the_roadie

the_roadie Banned

In and of itself, zero times infinity sounds like a nonsense because it can only be evaluated late at night after an all-day session and while one is still working at Olympic speed to quench a still-considerable thirst.
    (In other words you have to be totally whammed to even bother trying to work that one out).

A slightly more prosaic answer is that it's one of those weirdo conundrums that, as an end, is pointless, but as a means to an end is pretty handy.

Another one of those weirdos is the square root of -1. It can't be evaluated because it cannot exist so, you'd think, it's a dead loss.

But however, I read somewhere that it appears in a certain stage in the design of complex circuits where it's pretty handy actually, indeed the process can't be completed without it !

In other words these impossible things cannot be explained but we accept that they exist conceptually and leave it at that.

Another name for it is, obviously, religion, but that's another thread :snigger:

Fenderman and Greenlantern101 like this.
  7. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 likes this.
  8. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    I believe the square root of -1 (i) appears in the physics of aeronautics as well.

9. canis

canis Race Winner Valued Member

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It is definitely 0 as multiplying by zero takes precendence over multiplying by a theoretical number (infinity doesn't have a set value and is therefore theoretical rather than "real") :p

Edit : Beaten to it again :( Though the square root of -1 is amazingly useful in all sorts of things from aeronautics, astophysics, electronics and even data reporting via computers (I once did a reporting project for the government where this theoretical constant was at the route of all data displayed, complete nightmare to program but amazingly accurate in the results shown)

Greenlantern101 and teabagyokel like this.
  10. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

Where is the best place to get insurance for someone who is thinking of starting their own policy on another car for the first time?

11. canis

canis Race Winner Valued Member

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Slyboogy depends on the car, driver record, whether you have been a named driver before and the state of your licence....

12. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Found this over lunch time. Thanks to all who replied.

----

Infinity x zero is an undefined number. There is no answer.

At first, you may think that zero times infinity equals zero. After all, zero times any number is equal to zero, however infinity is not a number.

So, zero times infinity is an undefined real number. This is the definition of undefined. Therefore, zero times infinity is undefined.

Another way of looking at this is that no one can EVER finish multiplying zero times infinity, therefore the answer will always be undefined. Even though logic dictates that the answer will never not be zero, this answer will never be reached. Therefore, trying to multiple zero times infinity is undefined.

13. F1Yorkshire

F1Yorkshire Avatar for sale to the highest bidder Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I always thought anything multiplied by 0 is 0.

It doesn't matter what you are trying to multiply whether it is cheese rolls, cans of cider in the fridge or infinity. If the integer is 0 then you have none and it is as simple as that!

14. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Slyboogy I recently had to start a new policy for my second car. I normally use money supermarket and almost every time the cheapest policy is Direct Line.

Did you know Sainsburys insurance, Churchill and Privilege are all part of the Direct Line group.

If you are a youngster with points on your licence or a modified car then try Adrian Flux.

15. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The squares and square roots of minus numbers are expressed in the form of "J" notation. It formed part of my HND course and thankfully that was the last time I've ever had to think about it and don't expect to ever need to use that theory again.

16. Speshal

Speshal Champion Elect Valued Member

Featured Threads:

gethinceri likes this.
  17. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I thought it would be fun to have an ask anything thread".

"Don't ask me where it came from".

Ahem. ;)

18. Porceliamone

Porceliamone This cost me a tenner, but so L'Oreal. Contributor

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    If you're driving at say...around 70mph on a long stretch of road and there's car transporter in front of you that you're aiming at getting onto also traveling at around 70mph what happens when you get manage to get onto the transporter using the ramp? Do you shoot forward at an instant 70mph because the 'ground' of the transporter is effectively stationary or does everything just break?

I've pondered this on a few occasions now.

19. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    cider_and_toast - depends what field you're in. I believe engineers use 'J', whereas mathematicians tend to use 'i' instead.

20. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Porceliamone Your tyres would have to slow from 70 to zero. I am imagining lots of burning rubber smoke.
    Try it and tell us how you got on.

gethinceri, GeoffP and Porceliamone like this.
  21. Brogan

Brogan Running Man Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    That depends whether it's front, rear, or all wheel wheel drive Porceliamone.

However, to the car, as soon as the wheels change from being on the road to the transporter, the transporter becomes the road, so the car would travel forwards at approximately 70mph.

Think of The Italian Job and how much they had to hit the brakes once in the van.

Share This