Aircraft security procedures will have to change

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Brogan, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    So not only did he research suicide and cockpit door security, he also accelereted the descent several times.

It has also heen stated that contrary to the passengers not being aware until the last moments, they were very aware of what was happening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32173632

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Jen

Jen Here be dragons. Contributor

Nothing on God's earth can stop a 'madman' from creating mayhem and the world now knows that the chap was deranged (?). But how can any company be aware of the true state of their employees mental/emotional state? The company can put in all sorts of checks and balances but there is no guarantee that any will work because it all relies on the testimony of all.

Having said that, I really don't understand the need to take 149 other people with you. Suicide is just that, killing oneself, nothing more, nothing less

4. Hamberg

Hamberg FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :) Contributor

It's possible he had other psychiatric conditions that led to him taking others with him. NPD, schizophrenia etc.

I don't (won't) believe this was clinical depression alone, he must have suffered with an inability to feel empathy for others.

What was the captains name?

Dash Racing likes this.
  5. Dash Racing

Dash Racing Points Scorer

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I deeply dislike that the thing the media has latched onto is the depression angle. As if there wasn't enough of a stigma on people with depression as it is, now a whole lot of stupid people will think the average depressed person is just as likely to kill many more with them as they are to just kill themselves. :rolleyes: Watch suicide rates go up because of "well-meaning" people butting in and causing more problems than they solve.

6. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

As a sufferer myself Dash Racing I completely concur I personally have made four suicide attempts and not once have I ever thought of taking anyone else with me...

7. Dash Racing

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Sorry to hear that Mephistopheles. I've been there myself, but only got as far as ideation before I realized I needed help, thank goodness.

8. Mephistopheles

It usually happens when I try to wean myself off the medication, which isn't the most intelligent thing to do I have been on meds for getting on 20 years now and I will probably be on them for the rest of my life if I don't do something stupid first.

The worst part is the feeling of complete and total isolation.

Crap I can't talk about this as It makes me feel shit loads worse sorry.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  9. Dash Racing

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Sorry about that, Meph, didn't mean to make you feel bad.

10. Hamberg

Mephistopheles a problem shared is a problem doubled :friends:

Dash Racing and Mephistopheles like this.
  11. Mephistopheles

It isn't your problem Dash Racing but I appreciate your earlier post about depression I really do and thanks for that Hamberg you know how to buck me up.

12. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I have had depression for years. Mine, however, is chemical depression (which Crohn's is notorius for causing) rather than clinical. So far, Zoloff is doing the trick.

Dash Racing and Mephistopheles like this.
  13. Mephistopheles

I think the pilot may have been depressed but it wasn't that, that caused him to to take others with him, there was something else going on, maybe a need to be recognised I believe there is a medical term for this...

siffert_fan likes this.
  14. Hamberg

A huge thing that does no favours to those with depression is the assumption it's just being really sad and circumstance/attitude can snap you out of it.

Most people suffer extreme sadness at some point, it's normal in the grief process (death, break up, job loss etc.) and usually temporary be it days/years. Depression is far more complex and by no means temporary.

Putting it crudely it's similar to a person who has a bad headache calling it a migraine. Not the same.

15. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I have to admit that I have been blessed with a loving and supportive wife and daughter, and perhaps that is one of the major factors in my being able to cope with the problem. I cannot imagine trying to deal with it while being alone.

Mephistopheles and Dash Racing like this.
  16. Mephistopheles

My depression has killed my marriage it killed my relationship with my daughter and it killed my need for physical contact with with women I have zero sex drive I have zero ambition and zero love for life, the only thing I have left is a sense of ironic humour...

17. Hamberg

And Jenson!

18. Dash Racing

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Oh yeah, for sure. Migraines freaking suck. I'm lucky I only get them very rarely. I don't know how I'd cope if I had them frequently.

19. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32604552

20. Titch

Titch Things can only get better ..It's a lie. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Don't stop taking your meds Mephistopheles, but is it time you perhaps had them changed?

Mephistopheles likes this.
  21. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    On the flight descent on the outbound flight, I thought the black box only recorded the previous hour's worth of data or is that just the voice recorder?

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice