Aircraft security procedures will have to change

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Brogan, Mar 26, 2015.

1. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

You'd like to think they'd factor that in wouldn't you? I see reports that he suffered depression and 'burn out' 7 years again when he was training to be a pilot. He must've only been 21 then!
    If anything this whole tragedy has really highlighted some of the potential problems that still remain in the airline industry, despite it being statistically very safe..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I know people who've suffered depression and none of them have contemplated taking 144 other people with them.

Regardless of the underlying cause, if it was suicide for what ever reason why would you take out innocent men, women and children ??

A person I'm very close to, who suffered from depression talked about just not wanting to go on at times, and that it was a very personal thing. It was a feeling that they weren't quite in time with the rest of the world and that being detached from it, it wouldn't matter if they no longer existed in it. They did contemplate the final act but always stepped back from it. They said they knew what they were feeling was wrong but they could not stop feeling that way.

What a hateful thing to do, to kill yourself by crashing a plane full of people. I'm no psychologist but that reaction sounds less like depression and more like revenge.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Fenderman and Dash Racing like this.
  4. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    It's a cowardly, selfish act.

149 lives snubbed out, with no chance of any of them doing anything about it.
    Thousands of others affected.

What a total ****!

5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'd like to like that but that wouldn't seem right. Suffice to say, I agree with you 100 percent.

siffert_fan likes this.
  6. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    As expected, several airlines have now changed their rules to match the others which require at least two crew members in the cockpit at all times.

The latest revelations (if true) could have serious ramifications for the airline - expect a class action law suit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32081681

7. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    It would appear that he was still suffering from depression. He had a sick note for the day of the flight which they have found torn up.It would appear that he has been hiding his illness from everyone.
    I cannot imagine, however depressed he was, why he decided to take 150 people with him. It sounds more like Schizophrenia than depression.

8. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I wonder what happens when a crew memmber needs to take a comfort break? Can a memmber of the cabin crew act as a stand in for safety purposes or will they need to carry a jump seat crew man who has no other duties other than to ensure the flight crew can relieve themselves if needed?

9. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    Typically it's one of the flight attendants.

It's only to prevent the remaining pilot locking the other one out, rather than them being able to take control of the aircraft.

10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Ah I see.

11. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    The cabin crew member would need to be fairly up on his flying procedures. Whats to stop a smiling, apparently relaxed pilot ,from flying the plane at the ground, without the cabin crew member noticing, until it's to late. He'd also need to be a big beefy one as well, in order to overpower the pilot.
    What they need is a bouncer to stand guard in the cockpit at all times.:whistle:

12. Brogan

Featured Threads:
    One thing which baffles me is how although the plane was descending, the passengers apparently weren't aware until the final few seconds.

It had only just reached cruising speed so there would have been no reason for it to enter a descent.

I don't know about anyone else but I can always tell whether a plane is climbing, flying level or descending.

I would definitely have been querying it.

13. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    His sick note really makes me curious. Did it state that he could take the day off, or that he HAD to take the day off (being unfit for duty)? If the latter, shouldn't it have been reported to the airlines by the doctor (without disclosing the cause of the lack of fitness)?

14. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

I can't help thinking at least some of the passengers must have seen the co-pilot hammering at the door, and many must have noticed the rather odd continual descent just from the Med coast onwards to the Alps. I'm pretty sure a fair number were aware something not right was happening for more than a few seconds before the crash.
    I think the compensation case largely depends how aware the passengers were which might be why the airline could be playing down the terror of the passengers.

I think US flights have one or two armed and incognito air marshalls on board don't they? Though not sure how that could have helped. The two in a cockpit is I think standard procedure on many airlines already.

15. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    I just read that periodic psychological evaluations are done on cockpit crews of US airlines, and some in Europe as well. Not, however Lufthansa. I would expect that that will change very soon.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  16. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    This may be a little dark but I did grin, London Underground are taking down these posters. If anyone thinks this is inappropriate drop me a PM and I'll remove it.

[​IMG]

Tacitus likes this.
  17. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32098578

This makes it appear as if it was planned, and he had just been waiting to be on a flight where the pilot left the cockpit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  18. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Banned Contributor

Sorry, what was his name again? I've forgotten.

19. Kewee

Kewee Race Winner

The behaviour that led to this tragedy has nothing to do with Schizophrenia and although there are exceptions people suffering from Schizophrenia rarely harm others. People that are Schizophrenic have enough difficulty coping with their lives without having their illness suggested as a possible cause.

20. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    So do people suffering from depression.

21. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Considering that it appears that he may have been planning this for a while and was only waiting to be on a flight where the pilot left the cockpit to carry it out, I think there was more at work here than depression or Schizophrenia.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice