RANT A Rant - Things that REALLY annoy me

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that, as Greenland is a territory that is Governed by Denmark, that makes the Danes the current owners of the worlds largest empire by land area. Don't know if it's true but it's funny.

RasputinLives likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ok I feel the need for this rant but have to be delicate to not come across wrong.

As always I will be attending the remembered services and honouring those who died in a conflicts on all sides. However..........it really annoys me when there is constant talk (sometimes by those organising such events) of the soldiers of WWI 'fighting for our freedom's - I feel they have missed the point somewhat.

A generation of brave and patriotic individuals were wiped out in a tragic loss of life in WWI but by the end of it even they would have had a hard time arguing they were fighting for freedom. The First World War was basically an squabble between the ruling classes in Europe over who had the biggest 'gun'. It resulted in a tragic loss of life on a scale never seen before. It showed the world that the lifes of so many should not be dictated over again by so few and just how out of touch the top 1% were. Hell they didn't even get the peace bit right as the 'winners' were so determined to embarrass the 'losers' they set in motion a tragedy for the next generation.

The whole idea of rememberence is that we do not forget this and we do not let this happen again. Giving the war some justfication cheapens the loss suffered in my view.

FB, Titch and Andyoak like this.
  4. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I couldn’t agree with you more RasputinLives

5. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

One of the major contributions to WWWI was that the descendants of Queen Victoria treated Wilhelm badly when they were young. Yes, I know which paper this is but there is a lot of truth in this particular story.

The King versus the Kaiser: Royal rift that meant George V and Tsar Nicholas lined up against their German cousin in World War I | Daily Mail Online

RasputinLives likes this.
  6. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Big companies who use childrens films and characters to flog their tat hoping that "pester power" will force the grown ups to bow to their childrens will. I give you the current ads by DFS using Lego and those horrible Halifax ones using Ghostbusters.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Talking of adverts:

Backlash over Gillette's '#MeToo advert'

I'm very sorry world. Clearly I'm an absolute bastard' of a man and at least in part responsible for everything bad that's ever happened to anyone ever.

By way of apology I will buy some products from this shaving brand and everything will be well in the world.

On behalf of this tiny corner of mandom I once again apologise.

:bawl:

8. Bill Boddy

It's a company that sells shaving products; it would like men to behave better to women. Sure way to anger men???

9. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Yes, it's a company selling shaving products.

Who doesn't want to behave better to women?

It's just a rediculous advert.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  10. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    MPs to debate late school starts for teens

'Lying in doesn't mean we're lazy'

well go to bed earlier, if I had to be at work for 8am obviously I would go to bed suitably early. I know majority without stereotyping are probally up til midnight/1am. no wonder they bloody tired. you cant cheat time

its why I feel this is pointless, I still feel young enough to remember school/college & I dont see how this will make any difference because even now I can wake up at 7am or 10am. & still feel equally as tired. also when I was a high storrs school in sheffield we started 8:30am finished at 3pm. which I think was very good, its good to get in habit of getting up early also you can guarantee that if they moved it 90mins & start at 10am finish at 4.30pm. you can guarantee we will have more complaints

• you cant give them homework they dont get home til 5pm/5:30pm.
    • isnt horrible that for 4 months of the school yr they have to travel/walk home in the dark
    • after school activities are playing havoc with studies because school doesnt finish til 4:30pm. then hr of activties take us to near 6pm & by the time they get home a few hrs its bedtime
    no keep them at 8:30am its great learning curve for getting up earlier & as sportsman said (forget who) if you give them an excuse to fail they will

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Agreed F1Brits_90 If school started an hour later they wouldn't get mroe sleep, they'd just stay up an hour later on their phones or whatever. Besides, it doesn't get them ready for work as you rightly say. It's a really stupid idea!!

12. Bill Boddy

We are considering a trip overseas in the near future.

In 2009 we went to Singapore and Malaysia timed to finish just after the F1 race. My passport finished in July so because it had to have 6 months to last from the date we arrived due to Malaysian regulations I needed to renew my password; when I got it back it lasted from the renewal date until July 2019. Our regulations have now changed, the new passport will last for 10 years dating from the date of issue. In other words I will lose 4 months of use but still pay for them. Then in 10 years from now I may well need a new one 9 years and 6 months from the date of termination of this new one.

I know that our government consists in bloodsuckers but this really is petty.

But with a bit of luck the new passport will be a red one.:D

13. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    If you plant marigolds in your garden (or as we did French Marigolds) blackbirds, starlings and some crows will just come and rip them apart. :o Did I know that? No. :no: Would I have bought them if I did? No. :no: So the tray of 30 lovely healty little plants I put out the other week have been pretty much ripped to shred by the birds.:teary: I actually saw some doing just that, if you google it they say it's a pretty common thing. So we've had to order some more plants or else we're going to have nothing out there for this summer. We have ordered begonias this time instead and I will admit I got them on special offer, but it's not really the point.

14. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    ooh that is horrilble bits espically as all the team the all time lost has got to be annoying

15. Bill Boddy

At least you have the pleasure in knowing that we are in the process of destroying all your winged enemies Angel

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice