RANT A Rant - Things that REALLY annoy me

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by mjo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Is anyone else who lives in the south of the UK sick of this heat yet? I have to say I am. I like a nice warm sunny day as much as the rest of the world does, but I am so fed up of being a sweating heap with no energy to do anything!

It comes to something when you actually look forward to 24C and consider that a cooler day! Oh and if you feel like I do, I'd advise you not to read the long range forecast, it doesn't make for good reading :bawl:

rufus_mcdufus and Galahad like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I love the weather at the moment, I'm spending most of the time in my pants.

Angel likes this.
  4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    How is that any different from the rest of the time?

gethinceri likes this.
  5. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    That’s such a relief.

gethinceri and cider_and_toast like this.
  6. cousinDave

cousinDave Points Scorer

I'm in the Midlands and am sick of it. It's made me realize I need to get my life together... there's no way I can survive Hell! LOL

Galahad and Angel like this.
  7. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I have no air con in my car and no air con in the office at work. I think the weather is fab, people pay thousands to travel abroad for this sort of weather and now we have it for free. Just buy a paddling pool and chill out.

Titch and Andyoak like this.
  8. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Currently suffering due to Virgin Media wanting something for nothing while charging their customers a shed load for less.

Greedy bastards.

9. Dartman

Dartman Points Scorer

Thought most of those UK programmes are free on Freeview and Freesat no need for Virgin, but have been out of the country for a couple of years so it might. have changed.
    Oh and it's been over 30 for about 6 weeks now here you just get used to it, they call it acclimatisation, the pool water is at 34deg CLOL

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  10. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I am glad you're enjoying the weather and I am aware that some people spend a lot of money to find this kind of heat, I am not one of them though. When you are on holiday it's vastly different to having to do your normal work and so on, especially if you suffer with severe health issues as I unfortunately do. It's hard enough on any given day, but in this heat it's almost impossible.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  11. Angel

Featured Threads:

Actually this Virgin issue is to do the the BBC and UKTV and on demand tv or something from what I know of it, for once it's not actually Virgin's fault as I understand it.

12. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Oh it is Virgin's fault.

UKTV provide 10 channels. 5 are available on Freeview (basically free) and 5 are subscription channels. Virgin want to pay less to UKTV for the 5 pay channels and are saying they will only take the 5 free ones if UKTV don't drop their price.

UKTV are saying you get all 10 for the price or nothing.

BBC sell their on demand stuff to NETFLIX so you need a NETFLIX subscription to watch BBC on demand. Virgin want BBC on demand for free as well.

No one gives a crap about on demand. If you have a Tivo box yo can record hundreds of hours of TV anyway.

Basically Virgin are being greedy bastards. They want the same package from UKTV for less money but they would not pass on any of that saving to the customer. Its about increasing their profit margin. They keep tweeting that their customers want on-demand however I've not seen a single response from any virgin customer saying this is the case.

The biggest irony is that Virgin used to own 50% of UKTV but sold their stake for 300 million back in 2011 to a US company.

So what VIrgin are saying is they want to pay less for something that everyone else pays a reasonable fee for otherwise they only want the free bit.

It's the same as you walking into a shop with a buy one get one free offer and trying to walk out with the free one while refusing to pay for the buy one.

Virgin have shot themselves in the foot with both barrels and are losing customers hand over fist.

13. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I stand corrected cider_and_toast. My information was second hand from someone who uses Virgin, where I do not. Seems they got it wrong then. That is bad by the sound of it but about what I'd expect from them.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  14. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Just found out the current owners of Virgin Media are an American media company.

Some half baked outfit called Liberty.

No, I've never heard of them either. :whistle:

15. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Who have a tie in with Discovery, who are part owners of UK TV with the BBC. It appears Virgin might be arguing with itself.

16. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Yes , I know that I've done this before but it still riles me.Last week we went comping to a site at East Wittering just south of Chichester. Following weeks of unbroken sunshine there was a total eclipse of the moon on Friday night; in point of fact it was declared to be the longest total eclipse of the century and a blood moon to boot.

I spent the evening getting more and more pissed and pissed off at the 20% cloud cover of the sky exactly in line with where it was taking place. So far this century it has been the same story for moon eclipses and any other highlight in the sky.

It simply is not fair and I don't expect any improvement on Monday 21st January 2019.

And another of my rants:

Moon In Eclipse at Amazon
    Low Prices on Moon In Eclipse. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders
    amazon.co.uk/Moon In Eclipse

Report Ad

17. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Airports, do I need to say more? For a start why do I always show up as carrying somthing forbidden when I am not? they check me all over then say "off you go, in future empty all your pockets" not having found whatever os causing the bleep.

I can understand that there are some things that we cannot take with us but why not water when I have taken a big swig to show that it is just plain water? Oh, of course, it's so that they can flog some to me at a high price.

All those shops that I am never want to buy anything from, and no. they are not cheap unless you are going to somewhere duty free and even then it's not extra profit free..

Sign boards that tell you that your flight has been delayed, they quote some random time then when it gets near they push it further away again by a bit more. Then when they have had enough of that they suddenly put up the gate number followed by telling you that this is the final call for boarding. After a slow sprint, age related, I get there with only cabin baggae but am stopped by somone saying "Sorry, the overhead lockers are full, your baggage will have to go in the hold. You can have 13 milliseconds to take anything out that you will eat on the plane but we would prefer you to buy a sandwhich costing more than a 3 course meal in a posh restaurant". If you are lucky they will take it away for you but if you are at Milan Malpensa you have to carry your own luggage to the aircraft.

Why is every airport in the world rebuilding to give you a better experience? When I get to the far end I want to get out of the plane, walk through immigration with the minimum of fuss, find my baggage waiting for me then get out of this madness asap. I don't want to stand in a queue to go to a locaion where there is only one desk open as the others are covered off just for the hell of it.

The other feature that I love is that when boarding/unboarding you have to struggle up flights of stairs only to have to go back down an equal number of stairs 800 metres further on. I remember years ago that at Schiphol the terminal buiding was in the shape of an octagon or something, each airline had it's own leg and no-one wakled mire than about fifty yard to get to their embarcation bay. When the company I worked for was building a new UK headquaters the big cheese from the US looked at the plans then said "I presume that this was designed by an architect"; we finished up with an excelent buiding fit for purpose.

How did you know that I flew from Gatwick with Easyjet last week?

FB, Andyoak and gethinceri like this.
  18. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    You should fly out of Luton Bill Boddy, it will make Gatwick seem like and airport paradise.

19. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Top tip for airports - arrive early and have two large bloody marys before anything else.

Titch likes this.
  20. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Or champagne and oysters for breakfast. One of the terminals in Heathrow has an Oyster bar, or maybe it’s Schipol, on the way home. I don’t remember, ( something to do with the champagne maybe ?) It’s the only way to travel.

:snacks:

21. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    :sick:

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice