2020 Silly Season

Fair points from all sides. However, Kvyat was kicked in the balls by Red Bull, with steel toe-caps no less and, in full view of the public. Further, I think there was just as much politics involved in his demotion in order to promote Verstappen as there was with his promotion over Vergne.

Therefore, the fact the guy has taken a complete beating from his employer and then had the balls to go back there and not only that, come back a better driver means he gets my vote for a seat at Red Bull. It would be the ultimate come back, oh' wait we've heard this before, haven't we Robert.... A quick entry into the CTA Dictionary may be necessary.

Kvyat being promoted back to Red Bull would mean the Red Bull management admitting they were wrong. Something they do not like to do.

Ruslan As for Kvyat getting short end of the stick. If we cast our minds back, he got a promotion to Red Bull in the same season he got soundly beat by Jean-Eric Vergne. Given that Vergne had very much been on a par with Ricciardo it was a political decision even back then.

In 2014 Kvyat outqualified Verne 12 to 7. In the second half of the season, he was dominant. Verne was in his third year at Toro Rosso while this was Kvyat's first season. It is entirely understandable why they picked Kvyat over Vergne for 2015. I also thought he was the better choice. Kvyat has always demonstrated a lot of speed. He has not always been consistent.

Whoever replaces him, Gasly's days at Red Bull are numbered. It's not if he goes anymore but when by the seem of it.

yes i think he will still get to the end of the season. but not 2020 they have potentially had more 7th or below finishes this season with gasly so far than the last 2/3 yrs with max & Riccardo. for me having to go on soft tyre to make Q3 was another nail in coffin
Horner trying to be patient which is admirable if too little too late. they should've for Buemi & Vergne.

but i feel its bit like my football teams a few years ago. when we gone through so many managers in short period. when we were in very concerning period bottom of 3rd tier. it was we cant sack him as there is nobody to replace him

Last edited:
Kvyat being promoted back to Red Bull would mean the Red Bull management admitting they were wrong. Something they do not like to do.

or they could pr speak it by saying verstappen record proves it was correct decision to replace him & im glad he had the chance to come back stronger physically & mentally. better driver

In 2014 Kvyat outqualified Verne 12 to 7. In the second half of the season, he was dominant. Verne was in his third year at Toro Rosso while this was Kvyat's first season. It is entirely understandable why they picked Kvyat over Vergne for 2015. I also thought he was the better choice. Kvyat has always demonstrated a lot of speed. He has not always been consistent.

It would have been entirely understandable if they had all the facts you were talking about at the time but they didn't. They announced Kvyat prior to the Japanese Grand Prix which was with 5 races to go meaning half of the 'domimant' second half of the season hadn't happened yet and the quali fight was far closer. On top of which the fact that Vergne scored 22 points over the year to Kvyat's 8 - which was the only reason Toro Rosso secured 7th in the championship - really has to be taken into account. The argument that Kvyat took time to learn the ropes is kind of defeated by the fact that the majority of his points came from the first few races.

Of course the argument that Red Bull considered that the rookie Kvyat had far more potential than the finished product Vergne is a good one. If you follow that logic though then you'd think they would plump for Albon this time round.

.....and a double post for this

Patricio O'Ward on Twitter

I had no idea Pato O'Ward was a Red Bull junior but he is. He's been pretty fiesty in Indy Car and dipping his toe in the European scene by doing F2 this weekend must mean something. Contender for next season?

Last edited:
Of course the argument that Red Bull considered that the rookie Kvyat had far more potential than the finished product Vergne is a good one. If you follow that logic though then you'd think they would plump for Albon this time round.

Well, I think Kvyat had more potential. On the other hand, Vergne kind of got shamefully left out of F1 and he clearly also had a lot potential. But, when there are only 10 teams, opportunities are few and far between.

Alexander Albon has looked solid, but we have not seen the speed from him that we are seeing from Kvyat. There does not seem to a strong reason to pick him over Kvyat. Added to that, they have recently experienced what can happen if you move a driver up the ladder too quickly (Gasly).

So yea, I don't really consider Albon a contender for the Red Bull seat although he has probably already secured his ride for next year.

Last edited:
i wouldnt albon in F1 as that would gasly all over again & for 1 of the few people that have got F1 chance because of there driving talent not there bank balance. i really hope albon is big success

o'ward. its going to be very interesting because in IndyCar he's looks a fantastic talent. some great qualifying laps. 8th Austin, 9th in long beach, 7th in Detroit. but either through bad luck or inexperience. he not been able to capitalise

Looks like there are rumors of Ocon to Renualt. Apparently this was agreed to last year in a hand-shake deal between Wolff and Cyril A. but Cyril A. renighned on the deal to grab DR. I gather the deal would be to replace Hulkenberg. Would this be the end of the Hulk in F1?

Quite possibly but if I was Sir Frank I'd be sending Claire round to sign him up in place of Kubica. The options that Williams have in any attempt to try and recover from this death spiral are becoming increasingly limited.

Yes, but he is not a paying driver. I gather Latifi is (and can pay more than Kubica).

True indeed however I'm certain the Hulk would be worth more in the long run. I guess it depends on how desperate the cash flow is.

Also depends on whether Merc decide George Russell should be tested further up the grid. I can see Perez getting shuffled out because Merc want to see how he'll run at Racing Point. Perez provides money it's true but if Merc offered money and some nice extra bits and pieces for the car they might swing it.

True indeed however I'm certain the Hulk would be worth more in the long run. I guess it depends on how desperate the cash flow is.

Well, if the car sucks, it does not matter how good the driver is. Might was well use the one with the biggest checkbook.

Also depends on whether Merc decide George Russell should be tested further up the grid. I can see Perez getting shuffled out because Merc want to see how he'll run at Racing Point. Perez provides money it's true but if Merc offered money and some nice extra bits and pieces for the car they might swing it.

I don't think they would replace Perez. He is good and a very consistent performer. He has already proven himself better than Hulkenberg.

I agree (although the Perez/Hulk thing is open to debate) however I don't think we should under estimate Wolff/Mercedes will to get their young talent seats on the grid after the frustration of Ocon being shuffled out last year. Why else do you think Wolff is dropping rumours in the press about Ocon at Renault so early in the year?

I agree (although the Perez/Hulk thing is open to debate) however I don't think we should under estimate Wolff/Mercedes will to get their young talent seats on the grid after the frustration of Ocon being shuffled out last year. Why else do you think Wolff is dropping rumours in the press about Ocon at Renault so early in the year?

Well, I suspect the most likely scenario is that Ocon will replace Bottas....but it probably is more tactful right now for Wolff to be talking about finding another team for Ocon. I am guessing right now that Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Racing Point, and Haas will not be changing any drivers.

Back
Top Bottom