2019 Rich Energy Haas

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Publius Cornelius Scipio, Nov 30, 2018.

1. I have seen some very nice pics of the possible livery for next year's Haas, with the logo of Rich Energy.

That looks like great news, a new sponsor, an exciting livery, all very exciting BUT that is not enough for starting a new thread...

What I find fascinating is Rich Energy: some of you might remember that some time ago there were talks of Rich Energy buying Force India, sadly that deal never happened. I had a chance to look up some info about Rich Energy and it's a very intriguing story.

Buying an F1 team or becoming the title sponsor of an F1 team requires a big investment, in order to make a big investment you need lot of cash and here the road gets a bit rocky for Rich Energy... Rich Energy's turnover? unknown! Yes, they never published their turnover, they published their accounts in 2017 and the turnover was unreported. However, I looked up Rich Energy in Endole (here) and it is listed as "Micro – Less than 10 employees or turnover under £2 million": yes, a company with 3 employees and a turnover of less than £2 million and £581 (and a share capital of £10,000) in the bank is going to be, or so they say, the title sponsor of Haas... In case you think that I'm making this up and that my source is inaccurate you can check Rich Energy's entry at Companies House here

now what is my problem in all this? my problem is that I see this company, this
    (description taken from Companies House), associated with F1. There is clearly something wrong in all this story, because a company with an unknown turnover, 3 employees, a debt ratio of nearly 68% and £581 in the bank cannot sponsor an F1 team, they cannot even buy a few tickets for a go-kart race, let alone be involved with F1. So how can they get away with all this? In the past Sassetti's Andrea Mode was banned from F1 after an unpaid creditor impounded his cars, are we really to believe that Gene Haas didn't make a simple check on his new title sponsor?

I fear that this will end in tears, or, as with the purchase of Foce India by Rich Energy, this will never happen. but at least we will have something to talk about during the winter months, before testing and racing starts again

FB and RasputinLives like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

The whole situation is bizarre. The limited company has no assets of value so clearly the money is not coming from there. I'm not sure they have even sold any product yet beyond a couple of independent bars and restaurants. I was relieved they did not get an opportunity to meddle with Force India - team ownership would have been far more damaging to a team than losing a sponsor if they go belly up.

William Storey is the sole director of Rich Energy Racing Limited as well, setup i believe for the failed Force India deal (their first attempt, before FI went into administration this year) although this company is yet to file any accounts.

There is only one other director of Rich Energy Limited, who has limited voting rights. There were, however, 6 shareholders reported last year, with the company having been divided from 100 to 10,000 shares just recently. The division of the 10,000 has not been reported yet, but i assume this will be where the money will begin to appear if his 'backers' are real.

Sometimes i think the guy simply has an incredibly bold method of promoting his fledgling company and raising awareness and interest, but that doesn't get you a black and gold branded helicopter does it!?

4. I think that you nailed it

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

If that is the case, the Dietrich Mateschitz model for brand promotion may not work out so well in full public view, but if he can make a go of it, good luck to him.

Give it a year or so and we'll find he bought the rights to an ancient recipe from a penniless man in Africa or something 10 years ago..........

6. Maybe the guy has learned a few tricks from Jay Rutland, Bernie's former son in law

7. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

It could be a shell company, there just to pass money to get round taxes. Some years ago Brogan published a chart of all the companies owned by Ecclestone, it would be interesting to revisit it if it is out of copyright :D

8. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    This one?

It's almost 20 years out of date now but highlights just how complex it was.

F1 Structure.png

Bill Boddy likes this.
  9. the problem is that Bernie used to get deals done, Rich Energy so far has never achieved anything whatsoever. With all due respect to publicans and fitness instructors, Bernie would never use a shell company managed by a publican and a fitness instructor and besides why would he want to sponsor Haas? And as per the chart shown above in deals involving Bernie there was always a lot of money moving around, with Rich Energy so far there is only a lot of words.

Besides if Bernie really wanted to put some dodgy money (and I don't think that he's got much to launder, I think that in purely legal terms he's totally legit) back into circulation he wouldn't use a company registered in England and headquartered on a residential street in East Putney (you can check it out by yourselves, the registered address is 5 Manfred Road, London, England, SW15 2RS).

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice