Grand Prix 2019 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, May 29, 2019.

1. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Screenshot_20190621-160135.jpg

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Johnny Carwash

Johnny Carwash Champion Elect Contributor

We can get on with our lives now.

4. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

Ahh' crap does this mean this thread has run its course? I keep dipping in every time I feel a little too calm with how things are going on any particular day and need winding up.

FB, Andyoak, F1Brits_90 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

This thread will never end. Every time a driver sits on a line, or re-enters the track ahead of anyone, or doesn't leave enough space....someone is going to say, it is like Vettel at Barcelona, he should be penalized.

I gather we have defaulted to the stricter interpretation of the racing rules, which I gather is:

1. If you exit the track while ahead of a pursuing car, you must give up the position.
    2. When you re-enter the track, you must say off the line.
    3. You must always leave a car width of space for a car running next to you.

We shall see how this is interpreted in future races.

6. Hamberg

Hamberg FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :) Contributor

I want consistency in season not across seasons. Rules and interpretations three years later are going to be different.

Johnny Carwash and Andyoak like this.
  7. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Ruslan, this is turning into revolving door argument. Our mutual friend Publius eloquently explained that under certain conditions a driver returning onto track has very little, if any control over his car. How then you can demand where he should go? (Your No. 2.)
    My wish regarding FiA - stay out of it, please. Last thing what we need is domineering, arrogant, consistently inconsistent
    knowing all group of people managing races. I do not find it particularly appealing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    what if like vettel them 3 werent physically possible. I still believe that like handball rule in football. it should only be deliberate like Schumacher v Hill & Villeneuve that needs a penalty. the rule needs changing

I found it ironic that this morning, on the Verstappen incident, Lewis Hamilton was interviewed by F1 inhouse team. he said sometimes these things happen it wasn't deliberate or anyone fault. just is what it is its funny how he takes that view now & not 2 weeks ago

I will try make this the last point & personally put this to bed

Angel likes this.
  9. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Well, it is not going to go to bed, because every other race there will be a similar incident, and the argument over the rules (or their current interpretation) and what happens on track will be re-visited. It appears that F1 (or FIA) has a set of rules that are stricter than what a lot of people would want.

10. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

Well, the stewards ruled that he had control.

11. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

Unfortunately that is true, however it doesn't follow, they proved beyond reasonable doubt that he had control. In fact, they didn't have to prove anything beyond expressing their opinion and without being accountable to anyone for the decision rendered.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  12. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

The standard "beyond reasonable doubt" applies to criminal cases in the U.S. (but not civil cases). I do not think it applies to adjudicating a sporting series.

And.....they are held accountable. The decision can be appealed and overturned, although I note that Ferrari did not (were afraid to) appeal the decision. Furthermore, stewards have been fined in the past (Jacky Ickx was for a weather call he made at Monaco), and of course, they can not be chosen for any further stewarding duties if they are not happy with their work. So...it does appear that they are held to some level of accountability.

13. Izumi

Izumi Points Scorer

I think Canadian race saga is over. To add insult to the injury, Ferrari and Vettel became subject of internet ridicule, yet I think this event will remain etched in memory of many for some time as a small example what's wrong with F1 today. Playing accuser, judge and jury as it happened in this case is definitely not something that should be pumping up my blood pressure. Issues with stewards is an ongoing problem for many years, however this latest one ends here today for me.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice