Grand Prix 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

On the surface a triangle is a simple 3-sided shape. At some point in our education we learn that all of a triangles interior angles add up to 180’. Then the mathematics gets a little more complicated as various theories and concepts are added in to the mix. Most of us give up at that point as the reason or purpose for all this understanding is lost on us.

Some of us carry on in education and take up careers in engineering where, among many of its individual disciplines, the triangle takes on a new importance. From mechanical to structural and even electronic engineering, the maths and science surrounding this simple three shaped side, is used to develop everything from buildings to cars and complex electronic circuits.

In vehicle engineering the triangle plays an important role in the early formula one cars as the prime shape of its space frame. The frame is made up of sections of tubular structures formed from triangles. These tetrahedral truss’s form some of the strongest man-made structures since the shape is rigid and light weight relative to the materials used in its construction.

The first true space frame chassis appeared in the 1930’s and, like many other aspects of vehicle design, mirrored ongoing work in the aerospace industry. After the second world war, sports car makers such as Maserati, Porsche and Jaguar launched vehicles with space frame technology. Small British sports outfits such as TVR and Lotus followed the trend and soon, space frame technology found its way into motor racing.

While the monocoque replaced the space frame by the end of the 60’s, triangle shapes still play a key role in F1 cars, with body panels and suspension components still carrying this distinctive shape right up to the present day.

That triangular journey to the present day, didn’t start in the 1930’s. The history of the triangle dates back thousands of years. Its history spans cultures, people and the globe on a journey of scientific development the is far greater than its humble shape would have you believe. We tend not to dwell too much on the origins of things that we see every day. You don’t imagine that triangles and the science around them would have a beginning.

The most basic principles of a triangle are wrapped up in Pythagorean Theorem. Named in honour of the great Greek mathematician Pythagoras. In simple terms it’s written as a2+b2=c2 or, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Of course, triangular structures long predate Pythagoras. As an example what is the primary shape of the Pyramids of Giza? There is a great deal of evidence that the understanding of Pythagorean theory existed long before the man himself, even if it wasn't as well recorded.

This is where the culture of maths enters the story. The principle use of maths in the earliest periods of its development was for the study of astronomy. One of the cultures at the forefront of this research was the Islamic faith. Far from being the stereotypical people that we read about today in various right-wing papers and see misrepresented on our TV screens in one way or another, while many people in Britain were daubing their faces with plant dyes and charging at other people with pointy sticks, Islamic scholars had created the foundations for the scientific principles that frustrate and confuse school children across the globe today.

The word Trigonometry derives from the Greek words Triangle and Measure. Without the mathematical functions that this science gives us engineers in the pitlane would not be able to calculate huge amounts of data related to the speed and performance of a range of systems on their cars.

Sumerian astronomers studied the ratios between angles and circles and later, Babylonians discovered links between these ratios and types of triangle. The Greco Egyptian astronomer Ptolemy created the first trigonometric tables known as a table of chords. These tables were used across the growing world for the next 1200 years until more accurate tables could be produced. By the 10th century Islamic scientists were using all 6 trigonometric functions and were applying them to all sorts of geometric problems. The Persian mathematician Nasir al-Din al-Tusi has been described as the creator of Trigonometry as its own mathematical discipline and the first person to move trig fully away from astronomy and to create the mathematical uses that we still apply to problems in the present day.

So, when you watch the Bahrain GP, keep in mind that our scientific understanding of the world and the science that we see applied in almost every aspect of the GP we are watching, from the cars to the construction methods used in the steel stands that the race goers are sat on, owe a huge debt to the work of Islamic scholars who applied themselves to the puzzles of the world, thousands of years before.

Enjoy the GP.

The General lives up to his nickname and bossed that quali session. Never at any point did it look like he wasn't going to be on pole. Not sure Vettel has an answer for him this weekend

Haas and McLaren looking good

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

Ferrari suddenly being the dominant force this weekend after Merc were two weeks ago is weird. I believe gaps can turn round but Mercs were up 7 tenths in Aus and Ferrari up 5 tenths in Bahrain is unheard of. I don't really actually believe this but you don't think Merc and Ferrari have come to some agreement that each team needs to win races for the 'good of the sport' and are turning down engines in certain races? Nah. Surely not.

delighted for Leclerc getting pole. always knew he had the talent from watching him F2 & sauber. how vettel was going to have a tough year my world title bet looking good i did at end of January
IMG_20190330_224300.jpg

we already know RasputinLives that the teams are only interested in the show when they hunters not the hunted

Very nice. I was just watching a recorded version and the broadcast ended one minute before qualifying was done!

Still, it was clear that Leclerc was extremely comfortable. Nice to see to see him get his first pole.

A few observations/questions:
1. Why was Ferrari so slow at Australia?
2. I guess Mercedes was not sandbagging in testing.
3. The old Hamilton is still faster than the new Bottas.
4. This might be a good season yet.
5. Will Ferrari issue team orders?
6. Doesn't look like Red Bull is competitive with the big two.
7. Haas is starting to look like the best of the rest
8. McLaren is looking good.
9. The Ricciardo/Hulkenberg contest remains unresolved.
10. Kvyat is looking good. Gasly still has not.

I am only speculating as you know that my technical knowledge is rather limited but if Ferrari has some issues with (i) a bumpy track and (ii) with high temperatures then we could argue that since the conditions here at the exact opposite of Australia (in Bahrain the track is as smooth as it gets and they are running during the night and even if the air temperature is high the track temperature should be lower and that is a massive bonus for your cooling) Ferrari should do well. I say "should " and not "will" because the Mercs are not far behind and we're talking of Ferrari, famous for making the wrong choices at the wrong time.

My biggest concern for Ferrari is that Leclerc (who is a superb driver, no question about that, I'd say among the new generation an inch above all the rest Verstappen included) will pull away in the lead but that Vettel might have a stroger pace during the race (considering that when the conditions are right Vettel is seriously fast over a race distance), I fear that Ferrari will give an "odd" strategy to both of them (ie pitting Vettel too early and Leclerc too late) and Hamilton might win the race. Things should be easier if Vettel somehow manages to pass Leclerc at the start but I'm not holding my breath since Vettel's side of the grid should be very dusty and so it will be tough for him.

Other than that I'm surprised by the McLarens, it's good to see them back among the top ten, and it also looks as if Sainz is recovering from a very bad year at Renault, good for him, he deserves it.

Regarding Ricciardo / Hulkenberg I think that it's going to be interesting bcause one is a racer through and through who is, IMHO, the best at overtaking (by a significant margin), the other IMHO is a very technical driver, a very balanced athlete, who drives by the book but IMHO lacks that little bit of extra mental strenth to be a winner, having said that both are excellent drivers and if Renault can improve their car both drivers can win races.

Kvyat is good, I agree, his problem is that somehow it seems that no one cares, a bit like Perez, Kvyat did all that he had to do in the past and no one took notice. Gasly IMHO is not as good as Kvyat, I'd rather say that there's quite a gap between the two.

I am also amazed by how poorly Giovinazzi is performing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Ferrari should be using Wehrlein for their simulator, if that is the case I guess that sooner rather than later they should swap these two drivers, one (sadly) doesn't really seem to belong to F1 whereas the other deserves a proper chance as he's a seriously good driver (and I say so as an Italian who would love to see and Italian driver on the grid, pity I think that Giovi hasn't got what it takes)

I have to put my money's worth in in Giovanazzi here as he is someone who has continually proven me wrong when I've knocked him in lower formula. He was only 0.06 off Kimi in Q1 which was difference between being knocked out and staying in. This being a rookie and Kimi I would expect that to be honest.

I do not believe Giovanazzi is a world beater but I do think he is capable of becoming pretty handy in the midfield. Remember he comes off two seasons of not racing onto tracks he never really raced on in the first place. To me Azerbaijan - a track he has been supreme on in the past - will be where I make a proper judgement.

So ... Vettel cannot be a happy boy. Well done Leclerc
Mercedes must be wondering what hit them.
It should be a good race. I just wish that they had an internet connection at the cottage hospital. I shall have to watch it when I get home.
:(
Actually just set it to record and realised I will catch some of it live. Woohoo

Last edited:
As I said elsewhere it's 9-11pm here for the higlights here in the UK, so I'm recording it to watch tomorrow or else I'm likely to fall asleep and miss it ;)

here in Italy it's not too bad this time: at 8:30 pm we get the MotoGP race and at 9:30 pm we get F1, both on the same channel (pity they have an awful lot of commercials), so it's a double whammy tonight

I don't know whether to start watching it knowing I usually like to go to bed at 10... With the clocks moving though 11 was 10, so...

I am only speculating as you know that my technical knowledge is rather limited but if Ferrari has some issues with (i) a bumpy track and (ii) with high temperatures then we could argue that since the conditions here at the exact opposite of Australia (in Bahrain the track is as smooth as it gets and they are running during the night and even if the air temperature is high the track temperature should be lower and that is a massive bonus for your cooling) Ferrari should do well. I say "should " and not "will" because the Mercs are not far behind and we're talking of Ferrari, famous for making the wrong choices at the wrong time.

My biggest concern for Ferrari is that Leclerc (who is a superb driver, no question about that, I'd say among the new generation an inch above all the rest Verstappen included) will pull away in the lead but that Vettel might have a stroger pace during the race (considering that when the conditions are right Vettel is seriously fast over a race distance), I fear that Ferrari will give an "odd" strategy to both of them (ie pitting Vettel too early and Leclerc too late) and Hamilton might win the race. Things should be easier if Vettel somehow manages to pass Leclerc at the start but I'm not holding my breath since Vettel's side of the grid should be very dusty and so it will be tough for him.

Other than that I'm surprised by the McLarens, it's good to see them back among the top ten, and it also looks as if Sainz is recovering from a very bad year at Renault, good for him, he deserves it.

Regarding Ricciardo / Hulkenberg I think that it's going to be interesting bcause one is a racer through and through who is, IMHO, the best at overtaking (by a significant margin), the other IMHO is a very technical driver, a very balanced athlete, who drives by the book but IMHO lacks that little bit of extra mental strenth to be a winner, having said that both are excellent drivers and if Renault can improve their car both drivers can win races.

Kvyat is good, I agree, his problem is that somehow it seems that no one cares, a bit like Perez, Kvyat did all that he had to do in the past and no one took notice. Gasly IMHO is not as good as Kvyat, I'd rather say that there's quite a gap between the two.

I am also amazed by how poorly Giovinazzi is performing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Ferrari should be using Wehrlein for their simulator, if that is the case I guess that sooner rather than later they should swap these two drivers, one (sadly) doesn't really seem to belong to F1 whereas the other deserves a proper chance as he's a seriously good driver (and I say so as an Italian who would love to see and Italian driver on the grid, pity I think that Giovi hasn't got what it takes)

A posting packed full of interesting observations. Wanted to respond before the race (which is in a half hour, conveniently timed at 11 this morning).

1. Yes, it is good to see Sainz (and McLaren) looking good. Hulkenberg made him look ordinary.

2. I following the Ricciardo/Hulkenberg contest with great interest. Let me just repeat your quote below as I think it is a good assessment:

"Regarding Ricciardo / Hulkenberg I think that it's going to be interesting bcause one is a racer through and through who is, IMHO, the best at overtaking (by a significant margin), the other IMHO is a very technical driver, a very balanced athlete, who drives by the book but IMHO lacks that little bit of extra mental strenth to be a winner, having said that both are excellent drivers and if Renault can improve their car both drivers can win races."

3. I always felt Kvyat was flushed out of F1 early and unfairly. He clearly performs well when he is confident and has support. Obviously, Red Bull did not do this.

"Kvyat is good, I agree, his problem is that somehow it seems that no one cares, a bit like Perez, Kvyat did all that he had to do in the past and no one took notice. Gasly IMHO is not as good as Kvyat, I'd rather say that there's quite a gap between the two."

I do like to point out that when Perez and Hulkenberg were teammates, Perez clearly had the advantage. So.....if Ricciardo is allegedly the fourth best driver in F1 (as some have claimed)....where does this put Perez?

I would not rule Gasly out yet. But, if I was Helmut Marko, after the fourth race of the season, I would look at swapping Kvyat and Gasly.

4. I am also amazed at how poorly Giovinazzi is doing. We shall see if he lasts the season. I remember there was once a day when Bernie E. was saying the F1 should have a limit to how many drivers from one country there could be on the grid, as the grid was almost half Italian. What happened?

Decent race, heartbreaking ending.

1. Leclerc: Drove a great race. For some reason, was just faster than Vettel all weekend, in the practices, in qualifying and in all but the first lap of the race. Did a great job to pull himself together after dropping to third on the start and reclaiming first place.

2. Hamilton: Also drove a great race Probably should be the "driver of the day" but I suspect most people will give it to Leclerc out of sympathy. The fights and passes he did were all very well done. He certainly earned second place, but was gifted first.

3. Bottas: The new Bottas looks a lot like the old one. Was over 20 seconds down on Hamilton when the safety car came out.

4. What was with the safety car. Did they really need it?

5. Sainz-Verstappen accident: As much as I dislike Verstappen, the fault was Sainz's and he paid for it.

6. Hulkenberg-Ricciardo duel: Hulkenberg again came out ahead, and then both cars died on the same lap in the same corner for two different reasons. The touch between them was Ricciardo's fault. Don't know why he was trying so hard to fight a teammate that clearly had the faster car and better tires at that point.

7. Reliability: Apparently reliability problems have again returned to F1. Does this mean we will go back to awarding only points for the top six places?

8. Vettel: A somewhat bizzarrely lackluster performance. Vettel of 2019 is starting to look a lot like Vettel of 2014.

9. Norris: Nice to see him up there. Raakkonen and Albon did well too. Gasly, not as impressive considering which car he is driving.

10. Giovinazzi still looking out of sorts.

11. Haas is cursed. Grosjean is cursed.

12. Williams: They actually didn't suck as bad at race pace as they have so far this season.

Anyhow, season is getting interesting as it appears that Ferrari may have the faster, but more fragile car. They may also have a more fragile driver in Vettel. We shall see how the Leclerc/Vettel comparisons develop over the season, but this may become more dramatic than the Hulkenberg-Ricciardo fight (which has already drawn blood).

I sincerely believe that this race will be the one that tips Ferrari to drop Vettel. We’ve seen before that Vettel collapses when he is challenged by a teammate - I would not be surprised to see Ricciardo have his Renault contract bought out for 2020.

Really? I can't see that. They love him.
Don't get me wrong I really want to see Ferrari drop Vettel. That would make my month. But I just can't see it.

6. Hulkenberg-Ricciardo duel: Hulkenberg again came out ahead, and then both cars died on the same lap in the same corner for two different reasons. The touch between them was Ricciardo's fault. Don't know why he was trying so hard to fight a teammate that clearly had the faster car and better tires at that point.

What exactly happened to knock both cars out within a few seconds of each other? The commentators speculated that they might have run out of fuel, but I haven't seen any coverage that makes it clear what happened.

Back
Top Bottom