Grand Prix 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix (990th GP) Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

F1's whistle stop tour of countries with small F1 fan bases and dodgy human rights comes to Azerbaijan in the last week of April for a race round the 'historic' city streets of Baku. You can tell it's 'historic' because there is a castle and everything. It's fair to say that when this Grand Prix was first put on the calendar it was universally hated. Firstly it was yet another street circuit, secondly it called itself the European Grand Prix when Azerbijan is not in Europe, and thirdly it was set up to clash with the 24 hour race at Le Mans. Frankly it was the worst PR campaign since someone said "hey Mr Millerband let's get a picture of you eating that bacon sandwich" - however a few years in and something has changed. It turns out that the circuit lay out generates interesting races and now, for the first time, the majority of the F1 fan base are looking forward to coming back here.

So why does the layout create good racing? Well basically it's two circuits in one with a tight twisty technical section and a silly long blast down it straight. Modern F1 cars struggle to set up for both meaning teams have to try and strike a balance which leads to some getting it spot on and some very wrong. The straight is so long that it brings old fashioned drafting and slipstream back into play. This means you can do this thing called overtaking which is an old fashioned concept in F1 but a good one. The other reason it creates good racing is there is very little run off area and, as modern F1 drivers seen incapable of colouring between the lines, this leads to accident, which in turn leads to bunched up racing and mixed up positions.

This will only be the 4th running of the race but already the track has many memorable moments. The Force India's playing demolition derby with each other. The early FINNish (Kimi and Bottas collide). Vettel's moment of road rage. Bottas getting Lance Stroll on the line for 2nd. The Red Bulls taking each other out. Lewis having loose straps. Bottas last lap puncture. Vettel's lunge for the lead. When you list it like that you realise how much has happened here in only a few races. Let's hope for another classic. God knows F1 needs it right now after the snorefest of China and ever falling viewing figures.

A quick look at the form book and you'd have to be brave to bet against Mercedes. Closer inspection shows that Bottas has always been good round here and might be worth a punt. Bottas has impressed me this season so far. It's very hard to impress when your team mate is Lewis Hamilton but there seems more fire in him. Taking a look over at the red side of the grid you would think the grunt of the Ferrari's engine would give them a distinct advantage with the long straight in Baku but let's not underestimate Ferrari's capacity for self destruction. I'm sure they will try drafting in quali and I'm sure they will mess it up. I'm fascinated to see how the Red Bull goes this weekend as the Honda engine now does seem capable of being respectable in power situation. With the potential for a mixed up race you would think Red Bull would be all over this one, however street circuits do not tend to be Verstappen's speciality as he tends to hit things (or cars). I also fully expect to see some exploding Renault engines this weekend - although if we get into proper mixed up race territory then keep your eye on Danny Ric. Your dark horse from the midfield? This is Giovanazzi's favourite track and he has gone very well here in other formula.

For your amusement here is your Azerbaijan bingo card. Tick them off as and when they happen and see if you can get a full house:

- The word 'historic' will be utter at least 5 times when discussing the city in commentary

- It's just like Macau will be uttered every twenty mins.

- at least one team will try drafting in qualifying

- at least one team will mess up drafting in qualifying

- one of the commentators will tell us how beautiful the city is and how we should all come visit

- Verstappen will hit something or someone

- Perez will hit something or someone (bonus if it's his team mate)

- at least two punctures

- at least 3 safety cars

- at least 4 mentions of Vettel's road rage incident

- Toto Wolff telling us how they love circuits like this because it creates mixed up racing whilst simultaneously looking like he can't stand the place.

Last edited:
A comedy of errors in Baku.

A manhole cover is lifted up, which poor George Russell then drove over absolutely destroying the floor of his Williams.

Then the recovery truck carrying the stricken Williams hits a bridge covering the car on the flatbed in hydraulic fluid...

300 manholes to check.

Dare I say, it wouldn't have happened when Charlie Whiting was around. Or is that grossly unfair?

Dare I say, it wouldn't have happened when Charlie Whiting was around. Or is that grossly unfair?
Exactly the same thing happened Malaysia 2017 in FP2.
Grosjean crashed after hitting a loose drain cover and the session was over while they checked the track.

D5FhHnEW0AYaWDU.jpg

So Gasly has to start from the pitlane due to missing a weigh in. Ouch, that's going to be difficult for him on a track like this, then again he did the wrong thing. This punishment has been handed out before to Magnussen (Bahrain 2016) and Sainz (Monaco 2015) apparently. So they should know the consequences.

Last edited:
never rains but its pours for gasly. but this could be a saviour or another nail in the coffin. depending on how he can come through the field. but its the right the punishment because F1 have got to check any car isn't cheating

this couldve happened to anyone. as new guy said 1 bit failed over 320 manhole covers

this looks like an open goal for Ferrari, Charles Leclerc is looking mighty impressive even with a vettel tow still beat him by 2 tenths & beat the Mercedes by 1.4secs

I was in favour of the punishment because they have to be draconian to stop the cheating because you know the F1 teams would be looking at every loophole, but then as soon as Christian horner said that Punishment wouldve been less severe if he had actually been found guilty of ie: running underweight. then rules have gotten ridiculous when the suspesion is worse than the infringement

The first eye-opener in Q3 was the Mercedes drivers not getting down to the Ferrari times with their qualy rehearsal and then Verstappen going quicker. Then the two Ferraris blasting everyone away but Vettel needing an enormous tow to get within two tenths of his team mate.

Will this be a year for him like Ricciardo's opener?

im pretty happy ive still stuck with leclerc & Ferrari LOL & my replacements kimi & Norris are doing well

currently my drivers 1st 5th 7th & 11th

Back
Top Bottom