Grand Prix 2019 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Feb 23, 2019.

1. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Precisely - I wonder if we’ll ever find out ihow much they were sandbagging. Wolff had an opportunity to deny sandbagging in from a Chandhok comment but declined, so I reckon they were.

Still, it’s a long race tomorrow, it’s highly unlikely they’ll all come home on grid order.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Lando Norris in the top 10. Wow.

4. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

I actually think it was a combination of factors. I don't really think Mercedes was sandbagging at Barcelona. Instead they showed up for the first week of testing with a car that really did not work, changed all the aerodynamics and tried again next week. It seemed to work better. It is also a track that favors Mercedes, so I suspect the track, track conditions, temperatures, aerodynamic updates, etc. all favored Mercedes. Everything may have very well inside Mercedes "small operating window" as you say. Also, I think Ferrari was not getting the speed out of the car they expected, and really did not know why. It did look almost too easy to drive.

Still, it is 0.704 second advantage, so I do think that Mercedes does start this season with much more of an advantage than they did last season. This could be a very dull season.

5. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    vintly FB F1Brits_90 as both myself and cider_and_toast both said during testing the key spot that Merc are sandbagging is Toto Wolff telling the press they are not the quickest car and it's going to be tight at the front. It's translates as "we know we're out front but we really need people to watch".

So millions of pounds spent and the cars are in exactly the same order as they were this time last year. Even the interviews were the same.

Things to note:

- The driver of Red 5 once again has a moustache.

- The Toro Rosso Honda was fastest in the speed trap

- The aero has been reduced and Red Bull have suddenly lost a bit of pace

- Gasly was screwed by his team who made a massive error in not sending him out for a second run.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  6. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    I know im british & I love british success, & im glad lewis wins. its the hope that kills that we might actually have our 1st title battle since 2010 when we had 2 cars that matched on pace. as since 2011 its been 1 dominant car or team. bar the middle of 2018 season.

but if the drivers & brawn is right, we get better racing & the cars can follow then it should be worth it. because like crofty said the problem wouldve only got worse in 2019 as they added more & more bits. until its like Monaco every weekend

7. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'm probably going to regret this....

Screenshot_20190316-222446.png

cider_and_toast likes this.
  8. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

I am recording it. Going to watch at 9:00 PM Sunday night. Means I have to avoid checking news all day. That is tough, as I am somewhat of a news junkie.

9. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    ill be watching it in the morning but probally more like 8:30am. as im stupid but not that stupid ;):D

10. olegg

olegg Race Winner

No...
    I was posting same tables before. And Hamilton had "flaw".
    Today Hamilton was only one from ten driver who accumulated his best sectors in Q3.
    And it is mean only it.

Chasz likes this.
  11. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I've set the recorder and I'll be watching "as live" when I can muster enough energy to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

12. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

I'll read the news on BBC when I get up, then decide if it's worth watching!

13. Radical F1

Radical F1 Test Driver

I will be watching it soon after lunch with some Asahi cold beers and Japanese sake :cheers:

14. cousinDave

cousinDave Points Scorer

Cracking alarm tune!

15. Ruslan

Ruslan Points Scorer

This does not really tell you a lot. I mean, on your best lap scoring your three best sectors is not all that earthshaking.

Added to that, in each session you are making adjustments to the car. So, it may be faster in one sector earlier because of the set up and then the modified set up (which may be faster overall) does not have the same speed in that sector.

Is there something more I should be reading into this table?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. Speshal

Speshal World Champion Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Had to be done ;)

17. Radical F1

Radical F1 Test Driver

Well well, Some surprises for Australian GP. More questions and some answered.

- Ferrari is not fast. What happened? Binotto may be booted ?
    - Bottas bagged it today. Kudos. Will Lewis still be his friend? Lewis had a long face today.
    - Max, how did you like the new Honda PU ? not bad?
    - Gasly, you gassed out the whole weekend yeah?
    - Kimi, keep it up
    - TR team - keep trying
    - Kubica, are you sure you still wanna race? Embarrassing not to even beat your rookie team mate huh mate?
    - Sainz, why did you blow up your engine in the first race? Honda's fault you think ?

Just messing.. :snigger:Enjoy the rest of your weekend :thankyou:

18. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

No. It's just an interesting little table that olegg has always posted. Read into what you will or won't

RasputinLives, gethinceri and FB like this.
  19. 220

220 Learner

Im prepared to write ferrari off now for the constructors championship
    Not only did they have no pace today, team orders are already in play with Leclerc told not to pass.
    They totally missed taking the bonus point. Leclerc had more than a pit stop gap behind him for the last third of the race. In that situation when he has been told not to move forward why wouldnt you bolt on fresh tyres.
    With Mercedes claiming the fastest lap instead of them it is a 2 point turn around.
    I heard Lewis say in reply to it only being one point that it might be but that is 21points for the season, almost the equal of a race win.

I think the mid field should be exciting to watch, the finishing order was closer to what I expected than quali.

gethinceri and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  20. Radical F1

Radical F1 Test Driver

Bottas - "To whom it may concern - **** you ! "
    Who is he referring to ?

21. 220

220 Learner

Probably 90% of the people involved in F1 and a similar percentage of fans.
    I certainly didnt think he had such a dominate win in him.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice