Grand Prix 2018 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Olivier, Oct 7, 2018.

1. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Yeah didnt realise rhat they have almost exact points. But it has been dejavu. But vettel imploded 2 weeks early this season

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I wonder if Ferrari is starting to doubt the wisdom of keeping Vettel for another year. He always did fall apart a little in the catch up situations.

Johnny Carwash and gethinceri like this.
  4. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Titch Vettel has said he won;t quit Ferrari just because they gave up on the driver's title but he is under a lot more pressure next year as LeClerc has stated he is gunning for the drivers championship if the car is good enough

Going back to Hockenheim when Ferrari would not tell Kimi to move over straight away seems to be start of it . Arrivabene not exactly coming out with fighting talk to support his man. I am trying to remember last time he gave an interview because C4 always seem to find Toto Wolff or Christian Horner in the paddock to do an interview but Arrivabene is notably silent or is that silenced

If Ferrari were desperate they will offer Hamilton or Verstappen a mega deal to sign either of them

Titch likes this.
  5. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Well, baring mechanical problem, it is probably a Hamilton win, and Mercedes has enough of an edge that Bottas can probably finish ahead of Vettel. Game over.

Vettel's only hope is a Mercedes/Hamilton breakdown, crash or mistake....for like 3 out of the next 4 races.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  6. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Yes, but it was still two very different seasons. This year, for a while it looked like Ferrari was as good or better than Mercedes. But then three things happened:

1. Mercedes suddenly re-established their advantage over Ferrari late in the season (perhaps helped by "the second sensor").
    2. Vettel made multiple mistakes.
    3. Ferrari made multiple mistakes.

Those three added together really tilted things. Hamilton won 3 races (and 4 poles) in the first 10 races of the season, with Vettel winning 4 races (and 4 poles). Then suddenly, Hamilton wins six out of the next seven races (and 4 poles). That buried Vettel.

Johnny Carwash and Chasz like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Ruslan I know you're right, it doesn't make for happy reading though does it? I would love Vettel to be able to turn things around this season but time and races are running out, oh and his team seem determined to hinder more than help him lately too.

8. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I wonder what the points would be if Lewis and Seb had swapped teams at the start of the season.

9. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I always said they should have stuck with Fernando.*
    At least they've hired someone decent for the other car. Slow progress is being made.

*I didn't. This is 20:20 hindsight.

Andyoak, Chasz and Titch like this.
  10. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Now that is an interesting question. While there is no question that Hamilton made less mistakes than Vettel did this season.....the mistakes by the team would still be there and the loss of performance relative to Mercedes late in the season still would have occurred. Also, early in the season, there were some car and team problems for Hamilton that gifted Vettel a couple of wins with a weaker car. I suspect you could sort this out if you took the time to go through each race with them reversed.

11. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

Or had access to a different dimension where all other variables were the same!

I think reversed, Vettel would be in the lead, but maybe not as far ahead as Hamilton is, mostly as I'm reasonably confident Italy would have been different, and maybe Japan too. Vettel seems to get better the less pressure he is under, Hamilton almost seems to enjoy it when the going gets tough....

12. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    sobriety That is what I have noticed because Hamilton is prepared for fight hard , opponent or teammate he's almost ideal to be the driver chasing

A lot of critics are saying Vettel is only good when he is way out in front with a dominant car and is not as great when it comes to wheel to wheel racing which is what this season is showing

13. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 That is an interesting question but you would think Vettel might only be a head by a smaller margin. However do we think Hamilton would make the same mistakes as Vettel in the Ferrari , probably not and I 'd think he would have dealt with Kimi more brutishly instead of waiting for the team to radio him out of the way

That is the difference I see between the two

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  14. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

As a racer, I can say that there is so much data coming at you quickly in a race car that you can't act consciously, you have to let your instincts guide you. This is explained well in the book "The Inner Game of Tennis". When you are ahead, like Lewis, you can just let your instincts guide you and since his instincts are so good, he's not making mistakes. Vettel is behind and he is trying to solve problems but it's leading to him trying to use his ego, or conscious mind to gain positions. The conscious mind cannot process information as quickly as the sub-conscious mind (instinct) and mistakes are being made. Hamilton's real trick in all this was letting his instincts guide him when he was behind in the points and had the slower car.

Andyoak likes this.
  15. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Ruslan likes this.
  16. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    What would my aunt look like with balls?

17. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    A footballer? Cricketer? Tennis player? Snooker player?

RasputinLives and Angel like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Your uncle ;)

RasputinLives likes this.
  19. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Why do you want to know? Weirdo.

Hamberg and RasputinLives like this.
  20. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

21. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice