Grand Prix 2018 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Sep 3, 2018.

1. I have just seen an article where Pirelli claims that the best strategy is to start on ultrarsofts, run them for approx 24 laps and then switch to the yellow tyres (soft). Apparently Ferrari haven't done a single lap this week end with the soft tyres :facepalm: they never stop to amaze me

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    but i'll admit Ferrari are chucking this away more than Mercedes winning this, but im talking pre race in monza Ferrari had been quickest all weekend & front row lockout. Ferrari should've taken that win. then we come to Singapore where this has been their worse track since 2015 always 3rd quickest team 5th 3rd & 5th, he stuck it on pole this year . you cant say he hasn't exceed the teams expectations with a win & pole

4. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    They’re Italian. They do things the Italian way.

:D

5. the Italians have designed and built the car, the ones who run the strategies are foreigners ;):whistle:

6. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Publius Cornelius Scipio Looks like we've found the Ferrari scapegoats then

7. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

True, but this kind of implosion never happened in the Todt/Brawn/Schumacher years.

8. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Todt was the politician, Brawn - the tactician, Schumacher - the driver . More importantly they delivered the results on the track and fended off all the knives and daggers at Maranello even though it was accused for being too foreign and not Italian enough which Luca tried to change and failed badly

First by not giving Brawn the team principal job

9. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

True, very true, especially the strategy aspect, however for sake of accuracy, Mattia Binotto (CTO) was born in Lausanne, Switzerland. Isn't Ricciardo Adami Sebastian's race engineer? Not sure if it is him, or Jock Clear who calls governing shots on tactics during a race.

10. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Lets not say there is conspiracy theory that Jock Clear is a mole sent by Mercedes within Ferrari to sabotage the drivers races and help his old team win:whistle:

11. Clay

Clay Test Driver

It’s 2018 though, not ‘14, ‘15, ‘16 nor ‘17. The performances of those years are not relevant for today.
    Hamilton wasn’t light years away from the Ferrari’s in Monza or Spa either which suggests that the Mercedes is actually on par with Ferrari and the hierarchy can change at every year and on every track. We even have a Red Bull on P2.
    In the years Vettel won his championships, no one pretended that Webber was the baseline for the cars performances and suddenly all of Vettel’s laps were miracles. Why do it now? Do you think Hamilton is performing wonders? Bottas is heavily underperforming like the second half of last season. He wasn’t that far off Hamilton in the first half of the season which suggests quite a drop in form on his side.
    He used the Ultrasoft in Q1 whilst the others all used the Hypersofts. The track also evolves during the session which impacts each car differently.

Ferrari, I suspect, will have higher tyre degradation than Mercedes and Red Bull today. Adding to that they will have to follow Verstappen and Hamilton will only enhance tyre degradation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    F1Brits_90 likes this.
  12. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    whoever is stuck behind Verstappen might have a serious hard time getting past him if Max decides to brake late and shove them into the wall and still proclaim his innocence

13. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
  14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    a few thoughts

Hamilton - one spell binding lap and a controlled race - really crushed the opposition with the exception of Verstappen. 40pts lead with 6 races to go

Next 3 races he will fancy his chances at all those tracks

Verstappen - mature drive after last race antics

Vettel - must be wondering if the world is against him right now . Another track where he was expected to win and another bad (panicked) call by Ferrari but again something is lacking in the team

Bottas - on his early season form he deserved the contract but lately just constantly slower than Hamilton. The Wingman comment seems to have sapped something out of him

Dickhead of the race

Perez - put his teammate out of the race and then decides he wants to bulldoze Sirotkin . I wonder if anyone might have second thoughts about him at Force India or elsewhere. He cost the team a lot of points today

May this is why he did not get the Ferrari seat he much coveted?

15. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

At the start of Q2 the Ferraris came out together and put in two timed laps. The commentators commented that their times were slower than they had done in the morning by a few tenths. This surprised me since on the TV that I was watching the tyre walls were yellow, as verified by my granddaughter and the tyre history on the F1 web site.

If I still have the recording I will have a look to double check.

16. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

The team made another cock-up unless there really was nothing left on his tyres. He came out on the wrong tyres behind the wrong man. Another couple of laps and he would have been in front of Verstappen after his pit stop and in a position to usem his tyres instead of nurse them for the rest of the race. The team did tell him that his tyres would not last to the end so for once he drove with his brain in gear.

17. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

So in Baku last year Vettel hit Hamilton in a delberate manner at a pedestrian speed and there was total uproar. There was talk of him being banned and so on, it was a huge deal.
    In this race, whilst they were racing at some speed and after already shoving his team mate into a wall on the first lap, Perez couldn't have more obviously driven into Sirotkin. He got a drive through and that's the end of it? How does that even work? It just makes no sense to me at all, none.

18. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Bill Boddy Vettel was stuck behind Perez for 1 lap and it probably cost him two seconds and the time needed to get ahead of Verstappen

He had to manage the tyres towards the end of the race but from then on he was just soldiering on. Some are saying Bottas on the same tyre at Hamilton missed a podium opportunity and is proving to be a No 2 driver

19. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Arrivederci championship...

20. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

Perez got off very lightly today for that incident with Sirotkin. I also think the Perez/Ocon incident was deliberate too though much more subtle.

gethinceri likes this.
  21. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

That is because they only brought one pair with them !!!!

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice