Grand Prix 2018 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

23rd February 2014.

The Russian team marches into the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi, having equalled the Soviet Union's record of 13 gold medals at a single Winter Olympic Games, top of the medal table. The organisers even found the time to self-deprecate the technical failure at the Opening Ceremony when one of the Olympic rings did not open.

Four years later, Russia would officially be banned from the Winter Olympics. Its tally of golds is down to eleven.

7th July 2018

Igor Akinfeev is captain of Russia's national football team, who have got much further than anyone expected in the World Cup. He is facing up to a penalty from Ivan Rakitic of Croatia and Barcelona at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi. If Rakitic scores, Croatia will face England in a semi-final in Moscow. Otherwise, Russia still have a chance.

This time, even as Akinfeev dives the wrong way, Russia have made friends in defeat.

So Sochi has hosted two events guaranteed to make your city (and surely thus your country) a sporting centre of the world - the Olympics and the World Cup. And the third item on that list...

Vladimir Putin is, in many ways, a show-off. It is important to him to show that he is a strong man, and by extension that the nation that he most certainly rules is a strong nation. And what do those internationally recognised strong nations do? They host events. Which are the most visible events? Sporting ones.

The Soviet Union hosted the Olympics, of course, in 1980. The Olympics were, until the fall of Eastern Communism, amateur. However, the World Cup was just too professional for the USSR to host, and Formula One was thus right out. A sport for the wealthy, requiring sponsors and capital? Where one of the drivers would eventually become the 7th Earl of Bute?

Putin's Russia has no such inhibitions. It is entirely comfortable with certain people making huge sums of money, particularly those who would support the government. It is entirely comfortable with Mercedes, Ferrari and Rolex turning up, for it is comfortable with the people who'd buy those products. Whether Putin has Red Bull for breakfast is unknown, however.

It does seem that he doesn't actually want to watch any sport he's holding. Is this why he tends to turn up with 20 laps remaining, or is that so the cameras get a chance to linger as he presses the flesh and enters the main stand? He was there for the opener and the final of the World Cup only, and one would have thought he'd have brought an umbrella for the presidents of France and Croatia during the trophy presentation. He probably thought the fact that only was dry made him seem the most important. In fact, it simply looked like Macron and Grabar-Kitarovic actually wanted to be there.

So, Sochi. Is it worth visiting? Well, the Wikipedia page does not state the height of the spire of St. Michael's Cathedral but it has certainly been worth a visit for the Mercedes drivers over the four years it has held a Grand Prix. They are yet to lose, although Sebastian Vettel was on pole position last year. It would be ironic if this was the race at which Ferrari regained composure.

Has this Grand Prix contributed to the image of Russia as a legitimate player? I suspect your answer will be decided by whose news you're watching.

Having looked at it again a lot depends on the race speed of Ferrari and Red Bull. Red Bull were the quicker in free practice, they will be hoping that they can get past the slower cars quickly so they can then go after Ferrari.

If they were to get up to and then paty Vettel it would be the end of his chances for this year.

my worry is that Ferrari on the 2nd row are the 3rd quickest team because I think that red bull are actually quicker than Ferraris here. barring a crash or mechanical issues I just dont see how vettel overturns this defecit. because its highly likely that its out of vettels hand & he relying on others now come 3 hours time. as it potential 50pt lead with 5 races to go & vettel would need to win all 5 then hope a red bull or kimi can get ahead of lewis

The problem with the old format of quali was people saw nothing for 30 -45 minutes then the last 15 minutes or so gets frantic

The elimination shoot out makes everyone having to go out each session which I agree

Also if teams were expecting rain to come during the session - they would deliberately do all their laps at the beginning or at the end . If it rained during the wrong time of the session basically you will get a strange grid but by then the rest of the session is a write of

I don't mind the current format except the silly situation with tyres . If they bought back quali specific tyres that might help

At this stage of the season, when one driver is leading the championship and could still be overhauled, but the other isn't in the hunt for it, you be an idiot not to switch them if the rules don't forbid it. It's not nice but it's a team sport, you take the decision that's best for the team, which is cementing your marques lead in the Drivers championship, with no affect on the points you score in the constructors.

You do it from race 1, like Ferrari used to, then that's a different story, but now at the sharp end of the year, it's perfectly acceptable.

I say Bottas should count himself lucky he has secured his seat at Mercedes given the hoo hah has been about Ocon not being on the grid next season . The pressure is mounting on Valterri about his seat

Okay Valterri might not like it but you see how Mercedes have done the team orders and dealt with it much better than Ferrari who don;t seem to back their No 1 or be prepared to make tough decisions

It’s NOT racing. It’s corporate management. As a RACING fan I want to see racing. Not a carefully orchestrated display. Who wants to pay to watch that. Not me. They carry on with this style of F1 and there will be no fans left. If Lewis is so bloody good and so worthy of the championship why didn’t he race for first. Fans would have loved it, and applauded the win.
Mercedes want to win so badly they will ruin the sport for ever. And I still won’t buy a Mercedes, I’d rather have a Porsche

yes its not racing and Ferrari have been doing this for years under Schumacher - he never got the respect he deserved.

That move was critical because it is 2 wins Vettel trails by in points score and he is 3 wins behind Hamilton now so it makes his job of overhauling even tougher now when if it goes to countback as well because he needs to win at least 4 races of the last 5

Last edited:
People are complaining about this now how about previously orchestrated races

Brazil 2007 - Massa has a slow pit stop or deliberately slowed his pace so Raikkonen can win the race to overhaul Hamilton
Japan 2013 - Webber who lead brilliantly was pulled into an early stop to fool Grosjean but the clear air allowed Vettel to put in fast laps to clear them both and win. Suspicions were Red Bull screwed Webber out of a race win

Austria 2001 and 2002 - nuff said

I am trying to remember if there is any team who has not given team orders to make sure the main driver gets the result and I can't say there has been any that has not

There is a massive difference between Interlagos 2007 and today; in those cases, the team orders were dealing with a team chasing a lead; in this case, Hamilton already had a 40 point lead.

Frankly, it makes no difference whether it’s the 5th race or the 15th race of the season- when a team operates a 1st and 2nd driver policy, and they introduce team orders like this, it’s an absolute farce- especially when that team already has a significant lead in the drivers championship. That’s why Austria was so controversial.

Reading the responses on Twitter, I shouldn’t be surprised if Toto Wolff is summoned to Stuttgart and given a thick ear over this. Massive PR fail for Mercedes!

I don't think Toto will get an earful if the championship has been delivered from Stuttgart but from Bottas who he manages

That might be interesting to hear

when a team operates a 1st and 2nd driver policy, and they introduce team orders like this, it’s an absolute farce
Pretty much every team has a 1st and 2nd driver policy, whether they admit it or not. If you pay driver A x, and you pay driver B 3 times x, then driver B is your 1st driver. Whether you intend to always or occasionally use team orders is, in the end , irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom