Grand Prix 2018 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

23rd February 2014.

The Russian team marches into the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi, having equalled the Soviet Union's record of 13 gold medals at a single Winter Olympic Games, top of the medal table. The organisers even found the time to self-deprecate the technical failure at the Opening Ceremony when one of the Olympic rings did not open.

Four years later, Russia would officially be banned from the Winter Olympics. Its tally of golds is down to eleven.

7th July 2018

Igor Akinfeev is captain of Russia's national football team, who have got much further than anyone expected in the World Cup. He is facing up to a penalty from Ivan Rakitic of Croatia and Barcelona at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi. If Rakitic scores, Croatia will face England in a semi-final in Moscow. Otherwise, Russia still have a chance.

This time, even as Akinfeev dives the wrong way, Russia have made friends in defeat.

So Sochi has hosted two events guaranteed to make your city (and surely thus your country) a sporting centre of the world - the Olympics and the World Cup. And the third item on that list...

Vladimir Putin is, in many ways, a show-off. It is important to him to show that he is a strong man, and by extension that the nation that he most certainly rules is a strong nation. And what do those internationally recognised strong nations do? They host events. Which are the most visible events? Sporting ones.

The Soviet Union hosted the Olympics, of course, in 1980. The Olympics were, until the fall of Eastern Communism, amateur. However, the World Cup was just too professional for the USSR to host, and Formula One was thus right out. A sport for the wealthy, requiring sponsors and capital? Where one of the drivers would eventually become the 7th Earl of Bute?

Putin's Russia has no such inhibitions. It is entirely comfortable with certain people making huge sums of money, particularly those who would support the government. It is entirely comfortable with Mercedes, Ferrari and Rolex turning up, for it is comfortable with the people who'd buy those products. Whether Putin has Red Bull for breakfast is unknown, however.

It does seem that he doesn't actually want to watch any sport he's holding. Is this why he tends to turn up with 20 laps remaining, or is that so the cameras get a chance to linger as he presses the flesh and enters the main stand? He was there for the opener and the final of the World Cup only, and one would have thought he'd have brought an umbrella for the presidents of France and Croatia during the trophy presentation. He probably thought the fact that only was dry made him seem the most important. In fact, it simply looked like Macron and Grabar-Kitarovic actually wanted to be there.

So, Sochi. Is it worth visiting? Well, the Wikipedia page does not state the height of the spire of St. Michael's Cathedral but it has certainly been worth a visit for the Mercedes drivers over the four years it has held a Grand Prix. They are yet to lose, although Sebastian Vettel was on pole position last year. It would be ironic if this was the race at which Ferrari regained composure.

Has this Grand Prix contributed to the image of Russia as a legitimate player? I suspect your answer will be decided by whose news you're watching.

DoK-uDaXkAA3omg.jpg

Posted at 13:3813:38
Get Involved #bbcf1
Stephen Taylor‏: Red Bull made a total farce of Q1. Why look to get through when you will start at the back anyway?

Jarryd Mann‏: Stroll is simply rubbish. How this guy has a seat in F1 is simply staggering. Glad his old fella has a tonne of cash.

Stroll finished last in Q1 slower than both Mclarens and has been behind Sirotkin all this week

Renault did not run in Q2 because they did not want to be in Q3 so they can choose which tyre they start with

Nice pole for bottas, he seens to suits sochi track. Hamilton was good enough for the front row with gulf in perfomance. But thats absoulte disaster for vettel, as id arguably say they were 3rd quickest either level or behind Red Bull. Never mind the 6, he's a mile off the win he needs to keep title hopes in his own hands. Because as it stands Hamilton can follow vettel home in final 5 be champion

That qualifying was one of the most ridiculous ever. In Q2 there were 3 drivers with penalties, they did not want to be tied to which tyres they would be using in the race. Both Renault drivers did not go out at all for the same reason. The top four drivers were able to get into Q1 on the middle hardness tyres, these will last far better than the softest tyres; the remaining six did not realise that the Renault drivers were not going out so they went out on the softest tyres to ensure getting into Q1.

So we now have the top four cars which will not need to pit until well after the next six ensuring that the top teams can all pit within two laps. The Renault drivers will have the best possible outcome as they will be in clear air whilst their their opponents will be squabbling for the lower places. The drivers with penalties can use the slower tyres and shortly afterwards will just ease past into clear air; it could be the quickest ever for the Red Bulls to get from the back into fifth and sixth places after starting from the back.

The regulations are crap.

Unfortunately because the way quali is set up and the durability of the tyres .. there is not a lot that can be done

Before they worked out that actually if you did not make Q3 you had a set of fresh tyres to use and stating 11th was probably the best position on the grid

Then they changed that so that the top 10 had Q2 tyres on as well

To get around this they would have to reintroduce quali tyres and allow drivers to pick their choice of compounds for the race which is either soft or hard

The top 3 will always be Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes and I am trying to think about other than a Force India has any other team made the podium in the last 3 years

The Red Bulls will come through the field for sure

Worst quali I think I’ve ever seen. Five non-runners in Q2. How more obvious can it be to illustrate the shortcomings of the qualifying tyre issue and tyre issues general? Appalling. A debacle. I usually love quali, especially the last few minutes of Q3. Today’s was utterly bereft of drama. A bore-fest. Unless you’re a Bottas fan, in which case you’re half dead anyway. Rubbish.

Well, I am not sure this is race that is going to be even worth watching. The Mercedes were over a half-second faster in qualifying and seemed to use their tires better. It looks like a Mercedes 1-2, and they will almost certainly make sure Hamilton gets the max points. Ferrari 3-4. I am guessing Red Bull will be able to work their way up to 5-6, if they don't crash into anyone (which could well happen). Ocon, Perez, Grosjean and Magnussen for the next four slots, although who knows what order. This is really the only interesting race, except only one driver does not have a contract for next year.

I am not going to watch it live, but am going to record it, so I can fast forward through the dull parts (which may be everything after the first the lap).

It will be interesting to see how Bottas gets on. Last season his performances tailed off badly after Spa, and this year is showing strong signs of following the same pattern. But - is it an issue he has with late season races and loss of motivation, or is it just a coincidence that his weakest circuits fall at that time in the year? Well, last season Sochi was in April and Bottas was terrific, so we might get a partial answer to the question this weekend.

A question that few others care about, probably, but there it is.

Well today's performance answers your question part 1. Let's see if part 2 proves that this is a Bottas track!

iF there is a reason why Stroll should not be in F1 perhaps today was a good case over 0.5 seconds a lap slower than Sirotkin and last in Q1

He will start 15th because of all those guys having engine penalties

Onto the race - there is still potential for a mess to happen at the start given Vettel will be anxious to get passed Hamilton and Hamilton needs to clear Bottas who is desperate to win so certainly will not move over this time

The best strategy for Hamilton is to get lap 1 out of the way and pace himself through the race I think his overall pace is superior to Bottas' and should clear him by the end of the race

Well, I am not sure this is race that is going to be even worth watching. The Mercedes were over a half-second faster in qualifying and seemed to use their tires better. It looks like a Mercedes 1-2, and they will almost certainly make sure Hamilton gets the max points. Ferrari 3-4. I am guessing Red Bull will be able to work their way up to 5-6, if they don't crash into anyone (which could well happen). Ocon, Perez, Grosjean and Magnussen for the next four slots, although who knows what order. This is really the only interesting race, except only one driver does not have a contract for next year.

I am not going to watch it live, but am going to record it, so I can fast forward through the dull parts (which may be everything after the first the lap).

It's a highlights only show for me, I'm not sure they'll even be able to fill that to be honest. I may even end up recording that so I can skip through the boring parts. There could be quite a lot during this race.

Back
Top Bottom