Grand Prix 2018 Mexico Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Angel, Oct 21, 2018.

1. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Yes, they should.

If you look at the number of fastest laps set by the teams, which IMO is a more valid method of measuring race performance than is qualifying, Ferrari has only been the third fastest car this season. Mercedes has the most FLs, followed by the RBs, and then the Red Menace, with one-third as many as the Bulls. If the RBs had anything like decent reliability, they might have been able to really challenge the Mercs. The difference in Ferrari performance between qualifying and racing would seem to indicate aero problems when they are in dirty air.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

Stiffert the fastest laps method may have been the best way to measure the quickest car during the refuelling or indeed before Pirelli but you can easily have someone pit for fresh boots towards the end of the race and set a faster time than those on older tyres. I think this explains why RB has such a high number of FLs proportionally, as I can't believe they were a faster package than Ferrari!

4. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well no reason at all Bill Boddy , I was responding to the post above from Chasz, who seemed to be suggesting that if Ferrari were faster than the Mercedes for the last two races it would put them on a par for the entire season

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    This isn't the Cycling thread.

Bill Boddy likes this.
  6. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Chasz

Given that ANY team could use such a strategy, why, in your estimation, would the Bulls be using it and not Ferrari?

7. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

I'm entirely sure I said that. I'm more pointing out that strategy permutations make counting FLs as a measure of overall package performance not necessarily the best measure.

I said, (in my opinion!), the Ferrari is a better overall package than the RB

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice