Featured Grand Prix 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by RasputinLives, Jul 24, 2018.

1. When Vettel emerged from the pits he was about 8 seconds behind Hamilton, the fact that (if I remember correctly) he was nearly 25 seconds off when he managed to pass Bottas seem to corroborate the claim that Bottas slowed down Vettel, and this despite the fact that Bottas somehow managed to be much quicker when his second set of tyres was already worn out than he could manage right after his pit stop, which is amazing because normally it's the other way round.

whether Bottas slowed down Vettel on purpose or not is debateable (I think that his priority was to keep Vettel behind him), BUT the fact that Bottas slowed down Vettel is corroborated by the gap that Vettel built up following Bottas.

What no one has been able to explain to me is how on earth Bottas, after his pit stop, with brand new tyres, could only do mid 1:23 and all of a sudden, as soon as Vettel emerged from the pits behind him, he managed to do several laps in the mid 1:21m, either that is a miracle or there's more than meets the eye 8-)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Izumi

Izumi Learner

Bottas apparently had his nose out of joint over Wolff label of him as "a perfect wingman". My suggestion to Bottas is, if you don't want to be called a wingman, then stop acting as one.
    Two teammates acting in tandem is old as the sport itself. The one I do remember quite distinctly is a race in Japanese Suzuka, when Irvine and Michael Schumacher administered little bit of headache to team Williams.
    I do not mind if MB plays the same game, but I am not too impressed when they pretend they have taken higher road. Hamilton admitted later on without Bottas's intervetion he was good for podium but only in P2.

4. I guess that he hasn't much choice, either he complies or he's out (same for Raikkonen to a lesser extent but he's still #2)

5. Izumi

Izumi Learner

Bottas genuinely sounded like it was news to him then that he is a domestic in that team.

In Maranello I would like to believe that there is no explicit order regarding Raikonnen's supporting status, but once there is clarity who has a chance for WDC, that a support for a leading driver is expected and perhaps demanded. Kimi was blocking Seb the other day, and it took 3 coms with the pit wall before he let him through.

So, I guess both teams will formulate their expectations for Nos 2 just after holidays.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice