Grand Prix 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by RasputinLives, Jul 24, 2018.

1. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Dennis, Ron or Daniel Ricciardo?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Apart assertion regarding championship status, I like your race assessment. It is going to be difficult and for some of us nerve wrecking, but it's not over until it's over. Could be 2012 all over again. (Sorry for borrowing Brexit slogan.)

4. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

I'll skip the parts we disagree on ;)

Apparently Verstappen restated his comments in a post-race interview: GPGuide | News - Verstappen slams 'sh-t' Renault engine

Christian Horner seems like one of the nicer guys out there.....except he seems to spoil his drivers. These are kids in the 20s. Horner, of course, is simply encouraging this talk and saying the same thing himself.

I don't know how to compare Gasly with Leclerc.....but I to am more excited about Leclerc.

5. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Ricciardo takes a lot of keystrokes. I use DR also.

6. Everybody at Red Bull seem to be keen on tarnishing Renault, they have done that for years, maybe Max has learned from them, when they win it's their merit, when they lose it's Renault's fault, it has been going on for years. And Renault was forced by regulation to supply their PUs to them, I bet at Renault they can't wait for the 2019 and no longer having to work with such people

Horner seems to be one of the most reasonable at RBR, but the problem is that he's not the boss and has to take some very awkward positions at times to please Marko and Mateschitz.

Ruslan likes this.
  7. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Ethically challenged leadership downstairs and upstairs? Cool. 8-)

8. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Abiteboul: We stopped reading what Horner says since 2015

9. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Once again it's time for Sky's crazy unexplainable driver ratings.

Hungarian GP driver ratings

A 7 for Bottas due to the end incidents despite the fact he played the perfect spoiler on less than perfect strategy in order to give Lewis a comfy race is just down right insulting.

10. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

This has been a great and interesting season so far and I expect it to keep going that way. Lewis has won on some tracks where even I, as a Lewis fan, predicted that he would not win and has lost on others that I thought would be an easy win. The Ferrari is the better car now and Vettel is an amazing driver so I expect a strong comeback for the last half of the season. I don't think Lewis will win the WDC but I still hope he does

RasputinLives likes this.
  11. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

My apology if this was already discussed, and I haven't seen it. Bottas incurred post-race penalties (10 sec was added to his race time - uhh, pain) and 2 points (just 2, really?) to his rap sheet for hitting DR.

Bottas probably was not investigated for incident involving Vettel. (Scanning FiA's info., I didn't see it.) Vettel asserted it was a racing incident, however more suspicious observers have somewhat different ideas about the same subject, and Bottas is not coming out of it smelling refreshingly clean.

12. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I think it's all a little harsh on Bottas. I can't see what he could have done different in the first incident (if anything Vettel came across him) and the second incident was down to the damage from the first incident.

13. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Desperate Bottas risked massive controversy - Palmer

14. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Interesting read from Joyleon. On the day Martin Brundle had the exact opposite view so will be interested to read his take on it.

I still think Bottas is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If the biggest criticism is that he shouldn't have attempted to repass Vettel then it is in stark contrast to Bahrain when he was critisied for not overtaking him. He was put in a very difficult position to do a job for Merc and I think he did what he needed too.

15. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Seriously, this was never an issue when cars would explode and the driver seriously injured if they touched each other.

What they need to fit is some sort of electronic touch pads all over the car so that if they bump at anything above a certain G level then the car just grinds to a halt. That way they wouldn't be tempted to play bumper cars anymore. Then we wouldn't have the stewards having to debate what is, or isn't a race incident.

I'm so bored of the constant debate (from pundits, not on here btw) surrounding who bumped who and why and what was the underlying motivation. Either they stop hitting each other or they stop being penalised for it. At least in the BTCC the attitude is 'rubbing is racing'

Sorry, feeling very grumpy today.

Galahad, Chasz and Angel like this.
  16. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'd call Palmer a "has-been" but he never was.

Angel likes this.
  17. I agree with Palmer, the point is that Bottas was fully behind Vettel's car.

Having said that I agree with cider_and_toast that this kind of stuff would have been a non issue a few years ago, I mention it only because I see huge inconsistencies in how they apply the rules and because it's summer and I've got not much to do :)

Angel and cider_and_toast like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Martin Brundle did admit he blamed Vettel for the incident at first during the race, I assume he's changed his mind now, though I haven't read his column so I can't say for sure.

Maybe Bottas was just trying to pay Vettel back for when they had that incident at the start of the race in France. Who knows what was in his mind, well Bottas does obviously, but we sure don't. It's all speculation on our parts isn't it?

cider_and_toast is right, there should be something to deter cars banging into one another like it all the time. The cars are safe enough these days it's not that big of a deal like it used to be which is as it should be, but it's also F1 not Demolition Derby!

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Izumi

Brundles take on it is near the end of the article but still matches his view on the day that Vettel cut Bottas off too quickly.

Martin Brundle: Formula 1 signs off in style for its summer holidays

20. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Bottas could not creating a comfortable advantage before Vettel.
    So he was defending his position 25 laps against Vettel who was on more new and faster tyres.
    May be Valteri could be in other situation if had first pit later like Vettel or had second pit like Raikkonen.
    But this is unlikely, given its pace in the first segment.
    In any case, the assumptions that Bottas purposely was blocking or
    even more specially hit to Vettel to help Hamilton are nonsense.
    The proof is that by the time of the incident, Hamilton's advantage was so great
    that there was no point in risking anything for Bottas.

Chasz likes this.
  21. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Actually, I think this is reasonable.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice