1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Grand Prix 2018 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by RasputinLives, Apr 9, 2018.

1. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    It’s working quite well.........on the Ferrari

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I wonder will Bottas drive like a dingbat from the off.

4. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Interesting fact;
    • Lewis Hamilton's Q3 qualifying lap in 2018 was only 3 thousandths of a second faster than his Q3 qualifying lap in 2017
    • Sebastian Vettel's Q3 qualifying lap in 2018 was 7 tenths of a second faster than his Q3 qualifying lap in 2018...

F1Brits_90, Galahad and gethinceri like this.
  5. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Interestingly, Bottas was 2 tenths faster than in 2017.

6. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

According to Niki Lauda, they've set the car up for higher track temperatures. In the interview it sounded like he was suggesting that Ferrari are simply trying to get pole and aren't prepared for tomorrow, i.e. will suffer high deg.. Later on though he said that Ferrari are simply better.
    So far this season, Ferrari have brought more updates to the track. This weekend they've revised the sidepod area, making it even more efficient. Some analysts are also suggesting that Mercedes are struggling to develop their car as the concept is old and their sidepod design outdated, when compared to Ferrari and Red Bull.

We're only two and a half races in and I think it's too early to make any long term predictions.

Galahad likes this.
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    According to Hamilton they have the Ferrari engines turned right up now. Hard to disagree. I guess we'll know when the first one goes bang.

racecub likes this.
  8. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    One thing that has really interested me, so far this season, is that of all of the Renault engine failures (that we know about), all of them have been in the Red Bull.

I can't imagine that Red Bull have been pushing their engines more than they have been allowed to by Renault, but it has been noticeable throughout the last couple of seasons that Red Bull suffered a lot of engine failures, especially compared with the works team, but also have had a performance advantage...

9. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Son in 2018 Vettel beat his evil twin (or maybe it was the evil twin who beat Vettel ...)

The Artist..... likes this.
  10. Rutherford

FTFY.

Clearly, he's too aggressive and doesn't know how to nurse the car.

Adrian Newey's designs have always had faults. The Red Bulls never used to be as reliable as the other cars. The McLaren era wasn't too great in terms of reliability either.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  11. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I think he might not :no: But you never know!! :yesss:

12. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    they say this car is better than 2017 as it no longer a diva, but honestly i might have to start calling the Mercedes cars goldilocks. because last week in bahrain Mercedes underperformed because it was too hot & now in china ive heard that they underperformed because it was too cold. assuming they will be hoping that baku will be just right

but i would like to say what a miracle that was from the red bull mechanics huge pat on the back to get the car ready, i saw that car with 13mins to go & it was in no fit state, no rear cover, no wheels, no front end, no driver & was still up on the jacks.

FB likes this.
  13. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Adrian Newey will always push the limit of engine installation rather than compromise the aerodynamic package. Now Renault are running their own team, and getting the hang of what to do, I suspect the requests from Red Bull to make design changes falls on deaf ears and this risks engine failure. Red Bull will have to move to Honda next season to have any hope of winning another championship.

14. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

Ferrari tuned for conditions on Qualifying day and Mercedes tuned for conditions on Race day but I wonder who got it right? The Mercedes is awful when following but may get the undercut if they can do Hammertime when the Ferraris pit. I'm not thrilled with how the season has started but at the same time, it will be exciting seeing Lewis fight back from this deficit

15. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

16. olegg

olegg Race Winner

upload_2018-4-15_0-44-20.png

17. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Join us in chat for the race.

Chat | Clip The Apex

18. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I thought the way Red Bull split their strategies today was outstanding.

Danny drove around every car ahead while Max drove through them.

LOL

19. Rutherford

First time since 2014 that Mercedes have 'lost' three races in a row. Also, Hamilton has won any of the last 6 races.
    Wurz said that Vettel and Bottas used up their reserves on each other trying to overtake and defend, respectively. Thus, didn't have much power to defend against Ricciardo.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  20. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    That was an entertaining final third but average before, had another grand prix down to the final laps albeit helped because of safety car after gasly stupid move into the hairpin. Not the 1st time this season mercedes have been undone by a safety car. As bottas before had done everything well before then. Looked like he had race sorted, so unlucky. Also feel for kimi because the pace is there. Qualy is proof in the mix for pole last 2 races & if hadnt have made big mistake in final sector wouldve been on pole. But ferrari arent even suttle about it anymore, kimi isnt allowed to race he just a road block to help vettel. Riccardio who cant help but love always has a smile on his face outstanding overtakes yet again. That man has just got such confidence on the brakes & like i say in qualifying, whole team need a pat on the back. Considering his car was pieces with 13mins to go. Just qualifying was achievement. No one could imagine in that state he would win the race 24hrs later.

Said during the race verstappen aggression is brilliant when it works its a joy to watch. Brazil 2016 was 1 of greatest wet Drives ive ever seen. but he was hit & miss like his teammate Riccardio who had as equally agressive moves but verstappen has to learn how to channel it at right moment. As impatience cost him now in all 3 races. Watching the replays i think Verstappen out braked himself into that hairpin as well look too fast at the apex

21. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Another apparently flawless drive from Hulkenberg as best of the rest. Alonso drove well, his late stop allowed him to get ahead of the Haas' in the later stages (and, unexpectedly, a Ferrari) and he did well to fend off Sainz - who will again feel this was an opportunity missed.

After Perez' terrible first lap, both Force Indias stopped early and used the undercut to make progress - the SC allowed them to freshen their tyres, otherwise they'd have been under pressure from Vandoorne and maybe Stroll too. Despite this stroke of luck they still couldn't register any points. Stroll had a great first lap but gradually sank back to the car's true level.

Hartley and Leclerc had races to forget after outqualifying their team mates - the New Zealander's race pace not a match for Gasly again even before the collision.

2018_PRC.jpg

Olivier, olegg, RasputinLives and 3 others like this.

Share This