Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After trips to 4 continents & a sub continent Oceania, Middle East, Asia, Europe, North America in opening 8 races. whether its 4 in Europe & 1 in Asia or 3 in Europe & 2 in Asia depends where you classify Baku. We are home, & doesn't it feel nice, although everyone at the 11 teams will be delighted for the week off after the very draining im assuming 1st ever triple header & not only are we home but so are Formula 1 as everyone knows the 1st ever Formula 1 race took place in 1950 at this very circuit.

Definitely taking inspiration from cider_and_toast because i wouldnt dream of blatantly nicking ideas.;) LOL thought I might give a bit of history lesson as well. Silverstone does have 1 of the best circuits in the world but its layout was only stumbled upon by accident. because RAF Silverstone was opened in 1943 but in a classic world war 2 triangle layout which brought the perimiter roads. Also the 1st ever motorsport event to be held at the Silverstone airfield as it was then was a extremely low key event in 1947. & was organized by a guy called Maurice Geoghegan. he lived in nearby Silverstone village and was aware that the airfield was deserted had been for a while (of course world war had ended 2 years prior) so he & 11 other of his friends got to together & raced over the 2mile circuit, although his race was ended prematurely when a few sheep had wandered onto the airfield & Maurice hit 1 of the sheep, which killed the sheep & wrote the car off. in 1948 The Royal Automobile Club took a lease on the airfield, to set out a more formal racing circuit. they hired An ex-farmer,giving him just 2 months to turn the site from a wartime airfield & farm into a race track for the inaugural RAC International Grand Prix On the 2nd October 1948 an estimated 100,000 people flocked to see Luigi Villoresi beat a field of 22 in his Maserati. the 1st 2 races were organized & held on the World War 2 runways, with long straights separated by tight hairpin corners, the track only defined by Hay bales & ropes that also protected crops in the middle of the circuit. Then the royal automobile club decided to move racing to the perimeter track for 1950 & 1951 F1 races. 1950 1 of most known winners of an F1 grand prix. which even though it was widely known as the British GP Officially it was the 1950 Grand Prix d’Europe & it was significant occasion for another reason as King George VI & Queen Elizabeth (queen mum) were in attendance, which is still the only time a reigning monarch has attended a British motor race, then in 1951 BRDC took the lease from RAC who didnt want it & rest they say is history

The drivers are going to get a shock with this heatwave, because like Belgium all the drivers turn up here most years expecting cold & wet weather. but we have been experiencing temperatures in the high 20's for a few weeks & with the forecast it looks like it going to continue all next week as well. but im probally biased but this is 1 of highlights of the season up with Belgium & Monza. because such a great atmosphere with stands are packed from FP1 & full of fans with great British humour down the years. always some of the best celebrations because when Brit wins at Silverstone its on a par with a Ferrari win at Monza. But unfortunately this is the 50th & potentially penultimate British GP. very nearly the final in its traditional place in July, because Sean Bratches has all ready confirmed that it was the 1st choice for hosting the 1000th grand prix in April 2019. but then someone told him about Easter 2000 & he was put off for some reason haha but as i said this the penultimate British GP because of the Mexican standoff between Bernie's contract, Silverstone's owners & Liberty Media. after BRDC confirmed the rumours & triggered the break clause in their contract on day of the 2017 grand prix all because of unsustainable 5% fee escalator built into the deal by Bernie, after the Donington park fiasco. which means that what was a estimated cost of £12m - 2010, became £17m - 2017 17.9m - 2018 19m - 2019 ,& by 2026 if clause hadn't been invoked would've been in excess of 27m

thought i would give some historic Silverstone facts. that you may or may not know & I couldn't shoe horn in
  • sundays race will be 50th race on 14th different configuration
  • the priest that ran across the Silverstone track at Hangar Straight in 2003. ended up being jailed for 2 months
  • 1955 was the 1st time a british man won a the british gp
  • the startline has moved counties in 2011, as half the track is in Northamptonshire & half In Buckinghamshire
  • Silverstone Annually on Race day, annually becomes the busiest airport in Britain
Evolution_of_Silverstone_Grand_Prix_Circuit_1949_to_present.png

Last edited:
People people people! When are you going to learn?

Point 1 - If something bad happens to Lewis it's never an accident but someone cheating him out of what he deserves

Point 2 - Vettel is evil. If he hasn't done anything wrong in the race you're talking about then bring up things he did in previous races.

Point 3 - Kimi is the abused servent of Ferrari and if he does anything wrong you are to ignore it and see point 2.

Point 4 - wear your tin foil hat with pride as it appears even Lewis is wearing them now.

All very true RasputinLives but I've slightly modified it as a catch all for that certain type of driver:

Point 1 - If something bad happens to (Insert name of highly strung, overly sensitive, emotionally complex driver here....) it's never an accident but someone cheating him out of what he deserves

Point 2 - (Insert name of relatively well rounded, normal but slightly arrogant driver here) is evil. If he hasn't done anything wrong in the race you're talking about then bring up things he did in previous races.

1) Senna 2) Prost
1) Mansell 2) Piquet
1) Hamilton 2) Rosberg
1) Hamilton 2) Vettel

I just cannot figure out why anyone would think that Raikkonen would do anything on purpose to assist Vettel. What's in it for him?

I just cannot figure out why anyone would think that Raikkonen would do anything on purpose to assist Vettel. What's in it for him?

A contract for 2019? Though we're all in on the secret that they've already signed Leclerc of course so it can't be that.

Maybe ice cream, if it's not vodka, Kimi is fond of ice cream isn't he?

Leclerc will be driving for Haas next year. Hence the bagging on Grosjean which is rife at the moment from team and media.

Leclerc will be driving for Haas next year. Hence the bagging on Grosjean which is rife at the moment from team and media.

I fear for Grosjean that Leclerc might be driving for Haas beginning after the summer break, I saw a very harsh interview to Gunther Steiner yesterday, he was basically saing "the end is nigh, enough is enough"

Having said that I don't think that Kimi would punt Hamilton to help Vettel, he's not that kind of driver, he's very fair and nice (and that's part of problem that I have with him, I'd like the raging dragon that we had in 2005, not "Mr. Nice Guy").

Besides, if Kimi was supposed to hit Hamilton on purpose he would have hit him on the side of Hamilton's car, not on the rear tyre, it was an accident that didn't result in any damage to Hamilton's car (despite the fact that he moaned over the radio for lap after lap complaining of non existing damage to his car :rolleyes: )

Hamilton believes he's some kind of reincarnation of Senna. Every time he loses a race, he points to a problem that supposedly existed. Nonetheless, he manages to post fastest lap times and pass other cars as if they're standing still, in a Senna-esque manner.

Back
Top Bottom