Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by F1Brits_90, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Vettel's neck doesn't seem to be 100% ok, it will be interesting to see if he will be able to drive at his best for 52 long laps

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Whatever the problem is with his neck, I know from the odd time I’be had a neck problem it’s been unbearable, I’d go so far as to say I have been unable to think about anything else. It also makes me incredibly irritable, all I ever wanted to do was lie down and not move.
    So if Vettel is still suffering today, he has my full sympathy.

4. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    [QUOTE="Publius Cornelius Scipio, post: 336836, member: 5661"...] it will be interesting to see if he will be able to drive at his best for 52 long laps[/QUOTE]

He won’t have to, he only needs to be better than Hamilton ;)

Adrenalin is the best painkiller, if it hurts it’ll be after the race.

5. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    With the increased safety of modern F1 and the fitness level of Vettel. I don't think it will hinder him as badly compared to the 80 's and early 90's F1 cars where the driver's head was more exposed to the g forces. If it was a circuit like Interlagos then it might have been testing because that circuit is anti clockwise whereas most F1 circuits tend to be clockwise

6. the problem seems to be that silverstone resurfacing hadn't the effect that was hoped since all the drivers seem to agree that the surface is now worse than it used to be. I wish all of them well but if Vettel wasn't ok yesterday no matter how much adrenalin or how fit he is, he's going to suffer today, especially if the cause of his stiff neck is the poor track surface

7. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Great race. Now I have to write something for Germany to get up in the next few days.

8. Clay

Clay Test Driver

I thoroughly enjoyed this race. 8 out 10. Raikkonen seems to be on pace too but that is most likely only down to the fact that his contract hasn't been renewed yet.

9. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Great race, no rain necessary ;)

Brilliant victory for Vettel as far as I'm concerned. Kimi looked full on as well.

10. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    With the resurfacing of the track and the new regulations the race , its become a power circuit which Red Bull's once superior chassis is being nullified

11. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    It was a great race and I thought Hamilton was going to do a Mansell and steal it

Ferrari showed Mercedes how to think quickly on their feet by gambling with Vettel on tyres . In Mercedes defence they had to gamble with Bottas to bottle up Vettel in the hope that Hamilton was still able to come through

12. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Race was great.
    It is good that Hamilton could return after incident on the first lap.

13. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I can't help thinking that the safety cars helped him enormously.

ATL11 and Mezzer like this.
  14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Bill Boddy I think in some ways yes but in that he got more points back up up to 2nd but I also think note given Ferrari were able to get new tyres and have the grip to go for the win

At the time Bottas was within striking distance of Vettel . Raikkonen was struggling behind Riccardo until he got clean air and probably would have had to deal with an aggressive Verstappen who he has found difficult to pass in the past so his destroyed were getting destroyed

Hamilton being fastest man the track looked good and was catching everyone at a rate of knots so he would have been there at the end

It would have been interesting to see if Hamilton had gotten past both Verstappen and Raikkonen, just what Ferrari would have done if Bottas was closing

Hamilton accuses Ferrari of dirty tricks unless Raikkonen was being amateurish

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  15. Mezzer

Mezzer A fine chap if ever there was one. Contributor

Definitely the luck was on his side from the safety car, but equally if Raikkonen hadn't punted him off he could have been genuinely fighting for the win, so it's a bit of a toss up. I got the sense that Hamilton felt it was deliberate but IMO it just looked over adventurous on Kimi's part. I count myself as a Hamilton fan but I was disappointed in his sulking out of the Parc Ferme interviews, it was time to put his big boy pants on and he didn't. I thought something like this was likely when he didn't appear to respond to the team's congratulations on the radio but a) I hoped not and b) maybe they just didn't play his response. The season is far from over and Vettel's luck will come and go as with all drivers, so it's time to suck it up.

16. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Hamilton and Mercedes are currently dropping in my estimations (once again). There’s increasing suggestions that raikkonen deliberately punted Hamilton off, and that vettel deliberately hit Bottas in France.

This level of paranoia is utterly bizarre, and seems uncalled for!

ATL11, Angel, Bill Boddy and 4 others like this.
  17. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Now seems a good time to suggest that if Hamilton had made a better start, even an adequate one, none of Ferrari's rampant and shameless skullduggery would have been possible.

18. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Galahad - that was probably ferrari’s doing as well! This reminds me of the conspiracies that were spouted back in 2011/12 about Martin Whitmarsh!

19. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    The Artist..... You can understand Hamilton's frustration given Kimi had a lot of room and still ended up punting Hamilton. Just imagine if it was Vettel who did it there would be serious uproar whether Ferrari are fighting dirty

Just glad we don;t have Jean Todt as Ferrari team principal kicking up all sorts of noises that everyone is ganging up against Ferrari

Mercedes have lost a lot of points through no fault of their own in 2 of the 3 races. They might still feel that if Seb got only a 5 second penalty then why did Kimi get 10 second penalty this time for pretty much the same incident so inconsistency there already. So the argument Seb did not punished enough in France is beginning to look significant

A bit of controversy is always good for F1

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Mezzer likes this.
  20. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Yes. In French and now were race incident.
    But on the other hand, the unsuccessful start of Hamiton does not justify the punch of him with a red car.
    And it would have been more fun if Raikkonen could earned more points for the race than Hamilton,
    despite his incident against Hamilton.
    It was like in French race when Vettel hit Bottas but finished higher than finnish driver.

Chasz likes this.
  21. olegg

olegg Race Winner

I think Mercedes' statements are an attempt to take advantage of the situation
    and protect his drivers.
    Now the Ferrari's drivers will have to think a few times before going to the contact struggle:
    two consecutive incident - it is an accident, and three - a pattern.

racecub and Mezzer like this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice