Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by F1Brits_90, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Angellica

Angellica Rookie Supporter

Hartley has been cleared fit to race. That boy is just so unlucky lately!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

4. Angellica

Apparently Vettel missed part of FP3 due to a neck issue. It's going to be a long race for him tomorrow if that doesn't clear up.

5. Clay

Clay Learner

Not the first time that it's happened to a Toro Rosso driver.

Here's the clip of Hartley. The guy has had a massive amount of bad luck this season.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Bit alarming to see the car take off as it crossed from the asphalt to the gravel runoff. I remember in 2008 the bumpy outfield caused a few problems, but I thought the circuit improvement work had ironed that out.

The lack of a wheel was probably a factor too!

cider_and_toast likes this.
  7. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

Galahad likes this.
  8. shocking crash from Harley, I wonder what STR is saying about it, did they send him out with a loose bolt or else?

9. Ruslan

Ruslan Test Driver

Actually a pretty entertaining qualifying session. Ferrari is much more competitive than I expected. It could be a very interesting race tomorrow.

10. Ruslan I think that Mercedes will have the upper hand especially considering that they will be using tyres designed to suit their car, that should give them an advantage, but yes Ferrari is pretty close. IMHO tomorrow Mercedes will be ahead followed by RBR and then Ferrari. It will be interesting to see what happens in Germany when, if I'm not mistake, they will switch back to the standard tyres that have given so many headaches to Mercedes when the weather is warm

11. Ruslan

Ruslan Test Driver

That is what surprised me. I expected with a new engine and the thinner wall tires, that Mercedes would have a comfortable advantage. Hamilton barely out-qualified both Vettel and Raikonnen and Bottas was not in the hunt.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Germany. It will also be interesting to see tomorrow 1) how the start goes, 2) whether the Mercedes has a higher tire wear problem than the Ferrari (the reason for the thinner wall tires was because of the wear issues, so this should not be an issue this race...not that I really understand how this works), and 3) whether the Mercedes has resolved all their reliability problems from last week.

12. olegg

olegg Race Winner

upload_2018-7-7_21-1-16.png

13. Galahad

Featured Threads:
    Should be lively down to Abbey on the first lap tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

Big gap between the Red Bulls again, Max is really hitting his stride.

Also notable that 5 of the 6 Ferrari-powered cars made it to Q3. Christian Horner commented on the C4 coverage that he believes that to now be the benchmark engine - on this evidence you'd have to agree.

Chasz and vintly like this.
  14. Galahad

Featured Threads:
    The last time England won a World Cup Quarter-Final, the following race had an Englishman on pole position - but the race was won by his rival in a Ferrari.

(1990 French GP)

15. when the tyres overheat the inner part of the tyre releases some gasses that move towards the other part of the tyre (sorry if I used such a simple language but I don't know all the technical terms in English), basically little bubbles of air move towards the surface of the tyre and when they are expelled from the tyre they create lacerations of the surface of the tyre reducing its foorprint and making it less even (ie. you lose grip), that's blisterting. The thinner tyre is useful if you overheat your tyres because there is less "mass" and on the one hand the temperature on the inside of the tyres is generally fractionally lower (= less hot gasses moving towards the outer side of the tyre).

when you know that you are going to have some blistering what people normally do is use softer compounds because when the tyre wears out it evens the surface and so the blistering loses some of its negative effects (last week, as you'll remember, they had some issues with blistering mostly with the soft compound, ie. the harder available to them)

I hope that this simple explanation was helpful, I realise that the language is a bit basic...

ATL11 likes this.
  16. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Well if Lewis says so it must be true - Hamilton says pole lap was one of his best ever

17. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Wow! Must be his 30th best ever pole. Bubka or bullshit?

18. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    it was a brilliant lap at most needed time. i think the old Mansell adage was right about the crowd giving you a few tenths. as vettel looks like he had it sown up. with a better car in this hot conditions that horner says hes never seen track temps of 54c at silverstone but lewis found it from somewhere with a lap he could probally never repeat. for me he is 1 of the best british sportsmen under pressure because he rarely buckles

id like to say more but i was preoccupied with sporting event that F1 overran into LOL

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    racecub and Chasz like this.
  19. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I thought that it was a rather lap by Vettel which didn't help the Ferrari cause. So now it all depends on who gets off the line first, Hamilton has to make sure it is him as he can't defend in both directions.

20. Ruslan

Ruslan Test Driver

Yea, on Hamilton's previous qualifying lap he went wide on a corner and was running along the outside part of curb for a bit, losing him some speed. His time was 1:25.993 compared to Vettel's 1:25.936. On his final qualifying lap, he did not make this mistake. On the other hand, on Vettel's final qualifying lap, he looked like he made a mistake. Hamilton's time was 1:25.892 compared to Vettel's 1:25.988. If Vettel had run a clean lap, would he have out-qualified Lewis? I am guessing so. The difference was only 0.044 seconds

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  21. Angellica

Vettel has had the better starts of late, of course now I've said that..... I am hoping he'll do it again today, though I know that is not necessarily the popular view here.

Leclerc got that Sauber into Q3 again, he really is a star.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice