Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by F1Brits_90, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well all you lucky guys en route to, or already at Silverstone , have a brilliant weekend.

:wave:

racecub likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. olegg

olegg Race Winner

HARD - MEDIUM - SOFT
    is most conservative choice for Grand Prix in this season
    HARD was choosen first time in this season

4. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

5. ATL11

ATL11 Podium Finisher

racecub Thanks for this and appreciate spending time helping.

I'll be travelling in from the North, so a lot of people say to take the back roads into Silverstone, would this be to avoid the M40/M1 & drive in from say the Daventry area through Maidford & Blakesley?

Thanks for the Facebook post confirming the football being on at a number of places, which is good to know. Just now need to see where is best to watch the qualifying from and then move over to the places where the football will be on, thanks.

6. Angellica

Angellica Rookie Supporter

Yes, as has been said they are showing the footie at Silverstone on big screens.

Enjoy the race and the weather, they're still saying 28-30C and lots of sunshine so don't forget yout sunscreen!

ATL11 likes this.
  7. Grizzly

Grizzly Bear Contributor

Becketts mate. Watching an F1 car through there in qualy is mighty impressive. Just frustrating it is a lengthy walk and it has the strangest ability to freeze your face and ears even in 30deg sun :dunno:

ATL11 and Titch like this.
  8. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

I have been to Silverstone several times but am unlikely to go again and certainly not this year.

It must have been 2006 when following qualy there was another race, I seem to remember it was sports cars. Just as the race started the TV screens changed over to bloody football, I was sitting at Farm so it was not one of the largest screens. Not only was it not possible to see the race but you got the overexcited commentators as well. I had gone to a motor racing circuit to watch motor racing, I wanted to do this without idiots jumping up and down and screaming in near hysterics. I left early.

I went back in 2010. Previously I had driven in and mostly parked in the field on the right in the free area so I did again. When I went back to the car after the race there was a parking fee notice on the windscreen, it appeared that it was now no longer free although I had seen nothing about this when booking. So I moved to car to near the gate and explored, discovering a notice at the entry gate. Bear in mind that on race day there are people waving you in to get the maximum of cars in with the minimum of time.

p1080027.jpg

I did some searching and found that many people had been caught out and had been very angry when this system had been brought in 2008. I resolved not to pay since it had not been made clear even at the entry. Shortly afterwards Mrs B received 2 letters from the parking people (I had been in her car) demanding an exorbitant amount of money and threats about what would happen if the charges were not paid; they just went in the bin and that was the end of the affair.

A couple of years later I enquired about tickets for the weekend but was told that as a single person I could not use the parking facilities.

Up yours, Silverstone, I would like to come but you make it too difficult.

9. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I sat in the Becketts grandstand for the 2008 race that was supposedly a belter for Hammy's performance in the wet. Crap grandstand, flooded loos, warm expensive beer, tiny screen 200 yards away, tannoy didn't work, cars looked slow and I can get the the Circuit de Cat quicker than Silverstone. Never again.

10. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I see there are some tickets available on the gate - bit surprised it hasn't sold out, although there's sure to be a massive crowd of course.

cider_and_toast likes this.
  11. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I’m really intrigued, why can single people not use the parking facilities?

12. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm guessing there must be some sort of enforced car share policy. Four people in individual cars takes up more space than four people in one car. Each car space sold then guarantees more entrance tickets.

Bill Boddy and Titch like this.
  13. Titch

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well that sounds feasible.

14. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I'd agree with previous poster that Becketts is mega for quali.... but it's freezing and it's away from things. It'd be a trek to get to a screen god the football. I think I'm going to watch in my race day place at Village. It's a good viewing spot and only s couple of minutes to a big screen for football.

15. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    The parking system is to limit too many cars, so they want more people in cars. There is a way round it. You can park for the day in campsite I use. It's called Windmills. It's just behind Copse and as near as many of the official car parks. Also, you can escape out of the back gate and miss all the massive queues leaving the official car parks.

IM THERE NOw AND ITS AMAZING! Hot and wonderful!

ATL11 and Bill Boddy like this.
  16. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I come from the north, I do M1 to junction 15a , A43 to the roundabout with McDonalds , turn right there then next left through Silverstone village, that way I get to my campsite.. I've not used official Silverstone car parking did nearly 20 years. Lol.

I'd watch quali from Village then go to the main entertainment arena just behind. Don't be tempted to watch from the new pit straight it's dire. Dreary and you don't see much , the cars just go straight past, .... unless you're right at the far end and see them coming through club

ATL11 likes this.
  17. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Just thought I'd correct that for you Racecub in my usual jolly, positive manner :D

18. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    these new hard tyres are still confusing me, when the 1st drivers came out, i thought why they sent him out on full wets, although i agree with lewis complaint over the radio the resurfacing is dreadful you can see lewis getting shaken to bits on board. how bad was surface that this is an improvement

wet.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  19. olegg

olegg Race Winner

[​IMG]

20. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Thanks for that racecub. Due to circumstances I couldn't have gone this year anyway but I will look into it for the final F1 race in this country for...well, who knows, it took France long enough.

21. Angellica

Angellica Rookie Supporter

Have to agree F1Brits_90 They do look like the full wets, colour wise that is. They really didn't think it through did they?

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice