Grand Prix 2018 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by F1Brits_90, Jul 1, 2018.

1. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    No - why? Billiard smooth tracks make for dull racing. Bumpy tracks lead to better racing, as they tend to accentuate mistakes! Let's have more bumps not fewer!

Galahad likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Tracks used for Moto GP have to be different to GP circuits though. Bikes need a smoother surafce and higher grip levels than cars (I got this from an interview with Herman Tilke some years ago) which is why it is better if the two series don't share race tracks. Anyway, Charlie Whiting is suggesting that it migt need to be redone and there is a "standard" for how many bumps per meter of track.

Silverstone F1 track may have to be resurfaced again - RaceFans

4. The Artist.....

Featured Threads:
    I never understood why anyone thought that MotoGP and F1 should share tracks - they have very different needs... There's no need for MotoGP circuits to be so wide - and the long straights don't add much.

If it were possible to make it safe, I'd love to see MotoGP round Monaco, for instance - it could be great racing!

5. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    There is a standard for how many bumps per metre of track? Wouldn't it be better if there were none? I guess that's too hard to achieve though.

Bikes would have more of an issue with bumps, they have less surface area on the tarmac for one thing and are much less stable.

6. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Angellica - not sure of you've seen one of my previous posts (not in this thread) but there is an official size for the gravel used in the gravel traps. If you watch carefully in the cool down room there are always three 500ml, unlabeled bottles of still water and three white towels, along with the Pirelli baseball caps for the podium places. This is written in the regulations.

7. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:

Oh I understand the regulations are comprehensive, I did know about the water, towels and hats in the room behind the podium. It can be caps, Russian hats, Cowboy hats, Sombreros etc. and the drivers all have to wear them regardless. I even have a vague recollection about the size of the gravel as that can be important when it flies around etc. But I will admit the amount of bumps in the tarmac is a new one on me.

8. it would be butchery, a barrier next to the track is a death trap for bikers, you just have to consider how many nasty accidents happened at the old Rijeka track before they renewed it.

I'm not sure that Silverstone makes for a very good venue for MotoGP, I think that it's too wide

9. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'm not a bike man really, but looking at the calendar for the British Superbike Championship - which I gather is close to the world series on regulations/performance, and MotoGP - those boys are bloody brave to race at Oulton Park, Knockhill and Cadwell Park. :o

10. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

There is a good reason why all motor races display a notice saying "Motor racing is dangerous" Galahad

RECAP: Motorcycle ploughs into crowd at Oliver's Mount race in Scarborough

Galahad likes this.
  11. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

The bikes race at the Macau GP, which is as close as they get to Monaco, mostly the Real ROad guys, but racers from BSB and the asian series go there too.

Properly dangerous though.

12. Bill Boddy

We used to go to Esholt Park (Emmerdale) near Bradford for the motorbike racing. From the start the bikes came uphill to the first corner, a 90 degree left hander. We stood on the outside of the turn with only a sagging rope separating us from the track. In those days you could walk round the bit of field acting as a sort of pits and chat with the riders, most of them had a shall van or a trailer for their bikes, one exception who had a plush larger van was Denis Parkinson who had a dealership on Wakefield and rode factory supplied Nortons and won almost all the 350 and 500 races. He had also been a winner of the Junior, Lightweight and Senior Manx Grand Prix so was no slouch..

We also went to Brough airfield near Hull, they had cars as well there, real 500 cc engines (Norton and JAP were the most popular). The most popular cars were Coopers and Kiefts. You were a bit further from the circuit there since it was on an airfield where there was more space.

There was one visit to Oliver's Mount where once again you were on top of the bikes. The outstanding rider was a certain John Surtees who seemed like quite a promising youngster, he looked as though if he managed to survive he would go places.

Galahad likes this.
  13. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    British GP cancellation "direct result of track surface"

Thought i put this on here as its more F1 than motogp. As this potentially worrying for any wet races in F1 where they felt the new asphalt was too dangerous in rainy conditions, as it was not draining properly & causing standing water to puddle in multiple places. They need to ring spa ASAP as they got it sussed dry to full wets to dry within 30mins

Yes, it is a direct result of the track surface, We had a number of years of experience here in very wet conditions recently with the old surface & we've been able to run races. This year with the new surface is the 1st time we've encountered quite so much standing water in critical places of the track. Primarily it is due to water accumulated on the surface and I think you have seen the results of when we've been running here in heavy rain, that the circuit in some places is not safe because of the way the water does not drain from the surface

14. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I presume the ‘Interlagos solution’ would be unhelpful to MotoGP.

15. sobriety

sobriety Pole Sitter

While moving Silverstone to the Ardennes will make the circuit quick drying and infinitely more interesting to watch, there may be a problem with it still being the British GP.

16. The Artist.....

Featured Threads:
    sobriety - the British F3 championship regularly runs an event at Spa... or at least used to!

17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Well we get as much rain as them. But they put shallow grooves in the surface to aid drainage. When spa resurfaced. I dont know how silverstone got it so wrong as being in england drainage should be top of priorities

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  18. Bill Boddy

BRDC?

19. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Too busy with liberty media. Paid no attention to the resurfacing

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice