Grand Prix 2018 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by cider_and_toast, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Interestingly, Bottas was given a 5 second penalty after the race, which did not affect his final position. I don’t understand why they couldn’t give that penalty during the race; the 5 second penalty, if served at the pit stop could have affected track position, and impacted on the race more.

There is a worrying trend of Mercedes drivers not being properly penalised for events which Ferrari drivers are regularly penalised for!

siffert_fan likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

You are not alone who has made that observation. Alonso, Hamilton, Bottas, Verstappen, and Ricciardo seems to be judged on a different standard than Ferrari drivers for some time (in recent years). Rosberg also lost some battles which he should have won. Racing commentators aren't exactly shining examples of neutrality either.

4. The Artist.....

The Artist..... Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Izumi

This is the second race in an a row that Bottas has been given a non-penalty. I can’t remember the last time that a driver received a penalty after the race for a first lap incident when they were able to continue in the race!

5. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Vettel incurred over and above place penalty 3 demerit points on his rap sheet, despite that his alleged misdemeanor was totally inconsequential to Sainz's Q2 qualification efforts. How many front end drivers are treated in such shabby manner?
    Button, Alonso, Hamilton, they all just had to radio in - have Charlie look at it, and he did. One (miserable) race however which will stay with me for rest of my days is Mexico 2016 race, where bias against Ferrari (or a driver?) came in full naked force. I do not wish to get into it in here, but it was really bad. That's F1 for you.

6. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

Whiting 'quite amused' by Hamilton's reference to 'Ferrari's tricks'
    Now Whiting got into the act.

7. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    nice to see that F1 reporters at the times were paying attention so many mistakes, I figured out at least 4. you would hope they have a passing intrest in the sport they are paid to cover.

CTA 1.jpg CTA 2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  8. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 I dont mind the halo because ive actually blanked out the halo rarely see it now & Its has massive benefits does help in F1 & F2. as Andrew benson says he's seen a slow-mo that shows the halo deflecting Alonso’s right-front wheel, which was headed straight for leclerc's helmet

CTA 1.jpg
    CTA 2.gif
    20180827_103847.jpg

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Blimey, that slo-mo picture brings it home clearly to us Halo naysayers. Slices of humble pie all round.

Chasz, Greenlantern101 and F1Brits_90 like this.
  10. olegg

olegg Race Winner

It is interesting....
    And which of "lost battles" should Rosberg have won?

11. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I’m having a very large slice ! What a fantastic save.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  12. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

In his case problems were internal to Mercedes favoring one driver over other, and clearly when one could argue Hamilton was not very nice on the track (to put it mildly), Wolff publicly almost always sided with one driver exclusively, something Rosberg rejected. It was so bad at one point, that MB was considering to separate them and let one driver go. Former friends, living in the same building, became estranged to each other. Until today some of my friends with better telephone numbers are convinced, acrimonious relationship contributed as a governing factor in a decision to retire from active racing. That's what happen when balanced approach to conflict resolution goes south.

13. Angel

Angel Points Scorer Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Just shows how important driver safety is. Yes the halo did its job yesterday and thank goodness it did. I still have worries that in a different kind of crash it could prevent a driver getting out as fast as they need to. Hopefully I will never be proved right on that one.

14. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    That slow-mo makes it crystal clear he would of died. The Halo deflected the tyre and entire car up and over away from his head.

I still hate how it looks but the need for head protection has hopefully been settled now. I would love them to come up with a more aesthetically pleasing solution like an enclosed canopy.

15. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Ive had to have the whole pie for lunch. :embarrassed:

Some concerns aesthetically & in the event of fire but that doesn't matter. It is case closed & all us against it were wrong. That saved another massa incident or
    maybe worse

16. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Como is one of the most beautiful areas in Italy being recommended for honeymoons (1st or 2nd etc). If you get the chance visits to Maggiore, the top of the lake is in Switzerland, and Garda are well worthwhile. Have a great time.

FB likes this.
  17. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    FB Lake Como is where they filmed Episode 2 of Star Wars - the end scene .

18. Ruslan

Ruslan Rookie

Yes, it was a nice post by F1Brits_90 Kind of hard to say that the halo did not protect Leclerc, which was a comment I saw made a few people on other forums.

19. Clay

Clay Test Driver

No. I'm still not in favour of HALO, despite this incident. Also, judging from Hartley's onboard it doesn't look like the tyre would have made contact with Leclerc's head.

20. Izumi

Izumi Test Driver

FiA has not made determination yet, to what forces Halo device was actually subjected when it came into contact with McLaren. What is not disputed, there was interference of some magnitude, it was uncomfortably very close to driver's helmet, yet Leclerc got out of it without a scratch or even minor headache.
    Halo is therefore a good thing, no doubt.

21. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I’m not in favour of the halo.

After crashing into the back of another F1 car, a car goes airborne mainly because the rear wheels of the car being hit propell the other car upward. This wouldn’t happen if the rear wheels were covered, even partially.

When a flying spring or wheel pings off a halo, or the halo stops the driver from their head connecting with a stationery object then I might change my mind.

It looks like the halo saved Le Clerc but there’s no actual evidence to say that happened. The line between airbox and front of cockpit may not have been breached by Alonso’s car without a halo, which would not have contacted with Le Clerc.

Reduce the likeliness of cars going airborne before worrying about them coming out of the sky.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice