Grand Prix 2018 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As a less than convincing set of test sessions drew to a close in sunny snowy rainy sunny Spain, most of the motoring press had Mercedes out in front as the team to beat again this season.The packing cases, cars, freight, PR Stands and all the other guff that makes up the travelling kit of a modern F1 team will by now be well on its way to Australia and in a few short weeks we will find out if the motoring press are correct.

One man who won't be taking his place in the stands at Albert Park this year will be Ron Walker, the former Mayor of Melbourne and the Chairman of Grand Prix Australia who was the key figure in establishing the Albert Park and Melbourne as the countries addition to the GP Calender. Ron passed away on the 30 Jan this year.

Attendance figures at Albert Park have been on the decline since reaching a peak in 2012. The race day attendance last year dipped below 100'000 for the first time in the tracks history. Does this reflect a growing global apathy with F1 or the lack of Australian interest on the grid since Mark Webber retired?

Four drivers will be taking to the grid in Australia for the first time. Two debutants and two who joined mid way through the season last year. Leclerc joins as reigning FIA Formula 2 champion and the 2016 F3 champion but will find himself saddled with possibley the worst car on the grid. Hartley did little to impress in last years Toro Rosso and will be looking to make a stronger impression this season alongside his team mate Pierre Gasly. Gasly, the 2016 GP2 champion settled quickly in to life at Toro Rosso last season and with the works backing of Honda, both drivers will be seeking to maximise their potential. Sergey Sirotkin won the race off to join Williams, replacing the finally departing Massa. A shame for many who wanted to see Kubica take the seat at Grove, Sirotkin will need to do well to shake off the feeling that he's just another rent a drive. His previous single seat results show that on his day he can perform with the best of the younger drivers and the first thing he'll need to do is show a clean pair of heels to Lance Stroll. I remain convinced that despite the money on offer from both drivers backing, Kubica is just one or two driver error DNF's away from stepping up to the race seat while one of the two are 'rested'.

I'm not going to waste finger strokes speculating about the performance of the teams on the grid because I think we all know who are going to be the key players in this area and see little to convince me that anything will change too much from last year but we live in hope.

DY4pgUsXcAAHI17.jpg

On the 1 hand yes it saddened me because i like Riccardio & hoping he could be in contention & now he needs a front row to have a chance at a podium. As 6th on the grid & below with these cars where drivers publicly said various times every season gets harder to follow/overtake. Despite thinking that the penalty was over harsh & 3 penalty points wouldve been better. But i think they had hands tied, because it was a red flag & espically after that hungarian gp 2 years ago. They cant have any grey areas like when rosberg?? Got pole by staying flat under double yellows because he had past the incident

Also on the Pirelli tyres. I still have a problem with them because i think its bit stupid espically for casual fan that just watches Sundays, is how do we explain that the soft is the middle compound. Whats softer supersoft ultrasoft or hypersoft

Last edited:
Also on the Pirelli tyres. I still have a problem with them because i think its bit stupid espically for casual fan that just watches Sundays, is how do we explain that the soft is the middle compound. Whats softer supersoft ultrasoft or hypersoft

I'm not a casual fan, and I'm never going to remember what the order of those are. It could be to do with my age though...

I'm not a casual fan, and I'm never going to remember what the order of those are. It could be to do with my age though...
I’m pretty useless with technical issues, but the different levels of softness I’m suprisingky ok with. :dunno: However it does become a little odd when a commentator says something like.... ‘And Verstappen is out on the softs!” And he’s actually out on the hardest tyre on the track :thinking:

I’m pretty useless with technical issues, but the different levels of softness I’m suprisingky ok with. :dunno: However it does become a little odd when a commentator says something like.... ‘And Verstappen is out on the softs!” And he’s actually out on the hardest tyre on the track :thinking:

Thats sort of what i mean because looking at the list soft tyre is really the medium. As there is 3 harder & 3 softer.

I thought few months ago to just call which ever of 3 they choose prime, median & option As it wouldnt changed through the season. Then hopefully even the big fans dont get confused between super ultra & hyper. But no idea if it would help or be more confusing

Last edited:
Yes, I guess they’ve got softer and softer so they’ve had to invent new softness words. So it goes
Soft
Super soft
Ultra soft
Hyper soft
What d’you think the new name will be next year when a softer one comes out?
My name would be
Gooey soft

( I have to say the colours are getting prettier as they get softer)

Last edited:
Congrats to Lewis for an excellent lap to take pole, made considerably easier by clearly having an engine mode which hugely increased the power from the motor so impressed I'm not. It will be closer in the race as, despite all the bullshit about how it's all about the tyres and the driver from Merc, they can't use this mode for more than a few minutes without the engine consuming itself.

Stunner from Lewis. Lewis tells Vettel he has no ‘party mode, he uses the same mide throughout quali’.
When Vettel asks, So what were you doing before then?
Lewis replies, “Waiting to put a good lap in and wipe the smile of your face “ OUCH! LOL

Bottas under pressure. Wasn’t really close to Lewis in Q1 and Q2. Can’t be easy for him, his seat is at risk.

Bit disappointing from Ricciardo, but otherwise the first three teams look close.

He’s either driving slow on purpose then before putting in the last lap or there is a different setting, because he was 0.9 sec. faster than his previous lap.
I’m not impressed, it’s 2014 all over again. I wish Rosberg would make a return, because with Bottas as his teammate it’s going to be plain sailing for him.

Indeed.

Personally I am unsure how or why he would have found 7/10ths in the last lap of eually just for shits and giggles. Why bother? I mean as we all know he wants lots of different winners, why not start 10th and enjoy the racing?

Back
Top Bottom