Grand Prix 2018 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As a less than convincing set of test sessions drew to a close in sunny snowy rainy sunny Spain, most of the motoring press had Mercedes out in front as the team to beat again this season.The packing cases, cars, freight, PR Stands and all the other guff that makes up the travelling kit of a modern F1 team will by now be well on its way to Australia and in a few short weeks we will find out if the motoring press are correct.

One man who won't be taking his place in the stands at Albert Park this year will be Ron Walker, the former Mayor of Melbourne and the Chairman of Grand Prix Australia who was the key figure in establishing the Albert Park and Melbourne as the countries addition to the GP Calender. Ron passed away on the 30 Jan this year.

Attendance figures at Albert Park have been on the decline since reaching a peak in 2012. The race day attendance last year dipped below 100'000 for the first time in the tracks history. Does this reflect a growing global apathy with F1 or the lack of Australian interest on the grid since Mark Webber retired?

Four drivers will be taking to the grid in Australia for the first time. Two debutants and two who joined mid way through the season last year. Leclerc joins as reigning FIA Formula 2 champion and the 2016 F3 champion but will find himself saddled with possibley the worst car on the grid. Hartley did little to impress in last years Toro Rosso and will be looking to make a stronger impression this season alongside his team mate Pierre Gasly. Gasly, the 2016 GP2 champion settled quickly in to life at Toro Rosso last season and with the works backing of Honda, both drivers will be seeking to maximise their potential. Sergey Sirotkin won the race off to join Williams, replacing the finally departing Massa. A shame for many who wanted to see Kubica take the seat at Grove, Sirotkin will need to do well to shake off the feeling that he's just another rent a drive. His previous single seat results show that on his day he can perform with the best of the younger drivers and the first thing he'll need to do is show a clean pair of heels to Lance Stroll. I remain convinced that despite the money on offer from both drivers backing, Kubica is just one or two driver error DNF's away from stepping up to the race seat while one of the two are 'rested'.

I'm not going to waste finger strokes speculating about the performance of the teams on the grid because I think we all know who are going to be the key players in this area and see little to convince me that anything will change too much from last year but we live in hope.

I know its unrelated sort of but i Found this & thought it was funny because i had this convosation at work last night :D
Screenshot_20180321-142600.jpg

Structurally, we're stuck with things the way they are for at least another three years. Lack of competition across a season; lack of competition within individual races; predictable outcomes; no new engine suppliers, teams, tyre wars or anything to shake things up on the horizon. Frankly, my patience is unlikely to last that long. I expect this will be my last season of watching every race.

Over the last four years, we have gone from attending numerous races during the season to watching "highlight" shows. If this season is a repeat of the previous 4, we will give up on F1 completely.

F2 is VASTLY more competitive and therefore entertaining. IMO, it takes a lot more driving talent to win the F2 title than it does to win the WDC at present, which is essentially totally dependent on the car. In fact, I think that the WDC should be awarded to the F2 champion.

Last edited:
.....and I've switched Sky Sports back on again. I feel like a sucked at 31.70 a month but when it comes down to it, however much I moan, I can't miss it.

(Plus F2 and GP3....oh apparently they have a programme about F1 legends which features Eddie Irvine. Not sure why they haven't shown that before.)

Last few days ive still got that new season excitement. A terrible race that will soon vanish.

Ive had a annual bet on F1 & i can only apologise to red bull for betting on them with Verstappen (7/1) & Riccardio (12/1) . As i am terrible, last week i had a bet on fulham they had 9 consecutive wins until i bet. They drew 2-2 from 2-0 up

i know its practise but its looking promising, Mercedes Ferrari & red bull look like they have closed up, the midfield seems to be closer to the top 3. as last season that was really bad at times it was over a minute after a race, almost like 2 tier LMP1 & LMP2 grand prix. i really worried for force india because i like them punching above their weight. but with Renault & McLaren improving, with haas looking 4th quickest In Alonso terms "2017 Ferrari replica" that has them 7th which would be a shame

also the overhauled graphics look nice, the music at the start seemed to fit well & nice additions to graphics at the start of session

Why a grid penalty though?

One minor infringement on Friday and they **** up his Saturday and Sunday.

Fine and a few points on his drivers license. Job done, move on.

Haven't even started the first race and I'm annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom