Pre-Season 2018-2019 Winter testing and car launches

1:17.1 was fastest testing time last year. Then they took a full second off that in qually. Proving that no teams ever do a very low fuel, ultra fast, flat out laps in testing. Which in many ways makes getting excited over testing times a waste of energy.

Bottom line is testing tells us nothing.
I disagree Vintly. I think one can tell ALOT from testing. From on-track observers, to handling of the cars to testing times

1:17.1 was fastest testing time last year. Then they took a full second off that in qually. Proving that no teams ever do a very low fuel, ultra fast, flat out laps in testing. Which in many ways makes getting excited over testing times a waste of energy.

Bottom line is testing tells us nothing.
The only thing we don't know is the fuel loads, but they can measure pretty reasonably EVEN THAT. Plus and inherent fast car is fast from the starting blocks

Just my opinion

Not my comment you're disagreeing with BradMan, the quote was from Greenlantern101. But seeing as I'm here I agree that testing provides a fair amount of info, but not refined detail, especially at the sharp end of the grid.

I'm glad that so far at least, reliability seems to be pretty good across the grid. Otherwise you expect test times to mean not a whole lot, and the big boys to keep their cards close to their chests.

I've been looking back at last years times from 2018 testing and Mercedes put in the 7th fastest lap overall with Ferrari at the top of the time sheets and yet, when Andrew Benson went through the data for his BBC blog and looked at the race simulation runs he showed that the order at the end of testing on race pace was Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull then Haas.

We will have to wait for similar long runs and analysis to understand this year's data so far.

What is certain though from just lap count alone, McLaren seem to be in a much better position this year.

Not my comment you're disagreeing with BradMan, the quote was from Greenlantern101. But seeing as I'm here I agree that testing provides a fair amount of info, but not refined detail, especially at the sharp end of the grid.

I'm glad that so far at least, reliability seems to be pretty good across the grid. Otherwise you expect test times to mean not a whole lot, and the big boys to keep their cards close to their chests.
apologies! LOL

Damn that Williams looks slow. Sure, it's there, but it's not looking good for them based on what they managed today. Hopefully that is just a blip and they can do better tomorrow.

I'll give Williams the benefit of the doubt for the next few days. Clearly this afternoon was nothing more than a set of shakedown runs to make sure nothing dropped off the car.

Clearly they are going to be swimming around at the back of the grid, at least in the early part of the season but all hope isn't lost just yet.

I will revisit this post at the end of testing LOL

Red Bull keep it low-key
As we brought you earlier, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has told Sky Sports that he believes his team are second fastest to Ferrari in the winter 'war' so far, but the RB15 hasn't yet been at the sharp end of today's timesheet.

Instead, Pierre Gasly is completing laps on higher fuel as Red Bull continue on with their week one programme. It's 22 laps for the Frenchman so far today.

Dr. Marko thinks that currently it is Ferrari in the front of everyone. Looks like there is more than just one opinions on the market, yet fact is, until pre-race qualifications, we will be reduced to guessing.

(Sorry Brad, I missed your post.)

Last edited:
By the way if looks like Red Bull don't need to do low fuel runs as they have Toro Rosso doing them for them. Nice to see Albon relaxing into it now after his first lap crash yeaterday (day before?).

Back
Top Bottom