1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politics 2017 United Kingdom General Election

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by cider_and_toast, Apr 18, 2017.

?
  1. Conservative

22.2%
  2. Labour

44.4%
  3. SNP

5.6%
  4. Liberal Democrats

5.6%
  5. Green

5.6%
  6. UKIP

0.0%
  7. Plaid Cymru

0.0%
  8. Other Party

0.0%
  9. Not sure yet (this may change)

16.7%
  10. Not going to vote

0.0%
  1. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The UK Prime Minister today announced that she will seek the approval of Parliament to go to the Queen and request to call an election. Having just seen a message from Jeremy Corbyn, it looks like Labour will support the vote and that it will pass. To that end then a General Election will take place on Thursday 8th of June.

Who will you be voting for?

Post all thoughts, comments and discussion here:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I know its just a bit of fun but historically the CTA massive vote differently from the UK hoards.

This was well off the mark.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 12.24.34.png

Anyway the Tories will win by a landslide unless the quiet minority actually love JC and vote in their droves for the 'largest' opposition party of Labour. Can't see that happening nor can May thats why she has called the election.

4. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    It's looking grim if you are on benefits or not a fan of Grammar schools.

5. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Well, if recent events have taught us anything it would be that modern politics has become extremely unpredictable. Hopefully people will be more galvanised to vote than previous elections.

Personally, I am currently undecided, as I am hard pressed to see a credible party who reflect my views on what the country needs in these uncertain times.

Teresa May, for me, has the strength of will and character, although I do not agree with her on most things. Jeremy Corbyn I admire because he seems to have the integrity and the humility I would hope to see in someone who is elected to serve the population, although again, I am not sure I agree with his views on many things.

I suppose the difficulty is that no party will align to my views, as they would be unpopular and never get voted in, so I shall probably end up performing some kind of "gap analysis" (business analyst....) and vote for the least bad option.

I find it incredibly sad that as a country with the privilege of a reasonably open democracy that we have ended up in a position that few of those standing for parliament will do so with the intention of serving the nation for the benefit and betterment of the majority, and where inequality is rife and worsening, and there is precious little those of us who have that gift of a vote can actually do about it.

Giant Douche, or Turd Sandwich?

Westy, Speshal, Hamberg and 4 others like this.
  6. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Could you post that again The Pits so that I can "like" it again.

I live in a Conservative dead cert constituency. That would not matter if we had PR but as things are it doesn't matter who I vote for unlike in EU elections where I could at least feel that I mattered. No-one ever comes round to attempt to get me to vote for them except the UKIP man who did a runner as I started to ask him a question.

What is intriguing is which way the "dark money" will go. They have said that they would push hard against the candidates who voted to remain regardless of party.

7. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:

Enough said.

8. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    Bit confused at Theresa May calling this snap general election. Because i thought Fixed-term Parliaments Act stopped that from happening but apparently if commons have 2/3rd majority it can happen. But as The Pits mentions if brexit anything to go by only predictable thing about this election will be its unpredictability. But who vote for is as bad American elections. As their all awful

Theresa May will win, because she has no opposition

Corbyn/Labour has some great ideas renationalising railways £10 minimum wage & others. Also tons of fans on paper but for some reason wont work

Tim farron good on surface & i am usually a liberal democrat but reading into him & stuff on twitter (which is with a pinch of salt) seems homophobic & anti abortion, also flip flopped on trump

I like the green party but they are far too minor

UKIP & other versions is just for racists who hide behind patrotism

But i do worry that scapegoating of migrants EU & muslims in uk & rise of UKIP is remistance of years leading to Hitler in Germany

9. gethinceri

gethinceri "suck my balls honey" Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Any chance you can provide a Plaid Cymru option, please cider_and_toast?
    It is an important choice in Wales and would indicate how Labour are likely to fare.

10. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I put it down as other national (Wales)

Mainly because I couldn't spell it LOL

Edit - fixed now.

gethinceri likes this.
  11. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Once I would have known exactly how I wanted to vote. Now I don't know what to do, except I do know that I will vote. I hope we get some real straight talking from the politicians this time, it"s going to influence my vote.

No fake news!!!!

12. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    Many thanks, I have cast my vote.

13. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Will be interesting to see what happens in my area as we are fairly swing. Last election labour parachuted a 20 something legal trained lady from London into our district and she lost. Not by much but the 'she's not local' thing was used against her. Whether they'll go with her again or we'll end up with someone completely different I Don't know.

I'm concentrated more on the individuals in the race to be MP in my area mainly because a) that how the system is meant to be, b) there is not a cat in hell's chance Torrie's won't get in and c) the whole thing depresses me.

It also means everything will be up in the air at work too as all budgets will be frozen until result is known. Blooming inconvenience.

I'll be watching Scotland with interest.

14. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Well if the SNP sweeps the board this time then MRS S will almost certainly go for an indie. ref straight after.

15. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    How? She'll be as likely to gain Westminster approval as she is now.

16. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    The SNP taking all those Labour seats is the reason the Torrie's have such a vast majority. If the majority grows this time May is even more likely to tell Scotland to do a bunk on independence as she really will have no opposition in the house.

I'm wondering if the SNP vote might dwindle though. They've not really achieved anything for Scotland since they were elected.

17. gethinceri

Featured Threads:
    SNP are unlikely to lose any seats, they are therefore almost an irrelevance, as is Scotland (insomuch as there'll be no change). The battle will be in England & Wales where LibDems need to fight on a "Vote for us and we'll withdraw Article 50) and UKIP voters will be swept up by Conservative. Labour is a "busted flush" if LibDems get it right as Corbyn is to weak to get Labour aligned.

18. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    I can't vote for the Lib Dems with Tim Farren in charge. The man who uses his one major national speech at Lib Dem party conference to praise Tony Blair FFS !!!

I can't vote Tory. With a big majority Treseme will make Margaret Thatcher look left wing.

Our Labour MP has been sitting for decades and has been as active as a three toed sloth in a do nothing contest.

It really is a choice of finding the least useless at the moment.

Vote TBC

Andyoak, The Pits and gethinceri like this.
  19. Bill Boddy

For the first time ever I am thinking of not voting. It simply is pointless. And none of that rubbish about if everyone did not vote.....If all the non-voters and all the non-Conservatives voted together for a common candidate the Conservatives would still win.

I suppose that I could spoil my voting paper with comments about the voting system but even that would not be read. The only hope is that people say sod it, we've just voted in the local elections, why can't she just leave us alone so I'll vote against you for making me vote for no real reason.

20. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I think the Torries will be wiped out in Scotland this time. Sturgeon does too.

Sturgeon: May election move 'huge miscalculation' - BBC News

Nicola was going to announce her cunning plan after easter for Indyref2 I wonder if this surprise changes her plans.

21. Bill Boddy

"a spokesman for Mr Banks said the businessman was a "million per cent going for it" and would seek to gain the backing of Tory and Ukip voters."

Good to know that he understands percentages.

"We will also be using all our learning from the referendum on social media to attack Remain MPs and support Brexit MPs of any colour,"

As forecast, this man is dangerous; he wants to destroy democracy.

Andyoak and gethinceri like this.

Share This