1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Prix 2017 Malaysia Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Grand Prix Discussions' started by teabagyokel, Sep 17, 2017.

1. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Renault really need to rethink their sail-powered car.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

The Ferrari seems to be the better car this year and it's only Lewis driving better and more maturely than ever keeping the Mercedes ahead. I enjoyed this race and the drama during practice, qualifying and post race only added to my interest. The last part of the season looks to be exciting.

Chasz, FB and rufus_mcdufus like this.
  4. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

There could be another reason for the Mercedes cars being slow during free practice and the early part of the race. This is the one that was expounded over the race weekend by the BBC radio commentators that one of the main causes could be that Mercedes have difficulty on "green" circuits. This would account for what happened at Sepang, the track kept on being washed clean of rubber by the rain, then as it got rubbered in the performance of the Mercedes cars improved.

This would account for the slow times in the free practice sessions and the early part of the race against Hamilton's performance in qualifying and not only being overtaken at the start but also being outpaced by so much during the opening laps.

5. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

Some wag on another forum has claimed that Vettel's crash was no mistake, but a cunning way of avioding having the stewards check the car over, as it was actually Kimi's car with his numbers on, as Ferrari couldn't get his repaired overnight.

Now I'm sure it's total BS, but hey scurrilious rumours are fun!

6. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Hamilton has been excellent this year and he's driving more maturely than Vettel. However, the Mercedes has been the stronger car throughout the season.
    Bottas on the other hand, he needs to up his game pronto or else he might find himself at Williams next season. His performances have been abysmal since the summer break.

On a side note, Gasly did really well, considering that his drink system failed during the race.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. cousinDave

cousinDave Rookie

... and he had a bad back.

8. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I heard Williams were offered free Merc engines if one of their drivers totalled Vettels Ferrari for the next race. They waited until they'd scored points and then did it to get best of both worlds. True fact.

9. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

The funny thing is that Kravitz said that Raikkonen had the same issue as Vettel did on Saturday, because of which Raikkonen didn't start... sooo yeah...

sobriety likes this.
  10. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    It's a great conspiracy theory but it forgets one thing. Each car has a unique transponder fitted by the FIA to keep track of timings and position on the track which registers the drivers name (Palmer's has been going wonky of late). So it wouldn't just have been a case of swapping numbers. They would have had to remove and swap an FIA fitted piece of technology between parc ferme conditions and getting the car to the grid unnoticed by all the officials and media around them.

It's a fun theory but a load of cobblers.

Unlike my Williams/Merc sabotage theory which is of course correct ;)

11. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

Ah, but weren't they working on 'Vettels' car overnight to fit a complete new engine. You know how it goes, FiA observer gets tired and pops out for a coffee (or someone bungs them a brown envelope full of non-sequential €500 notes) and presto! Things get swapped.

;)

RasputinLives likes this.
  12. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'd suggest it's probably easier to fix it. LOL

sobriety likes this.
  13. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

There's no place for your high-falutin' reason and logic here...

teabagyokel and RasputinLives like this.
  14. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

Wouldn't it be awesome of this turned out to be true? I wouldn't even be upset, I would admire that kind of cunning. I wish they would go back to letting teams have a spare car for times like this when Kimi could have started the race.

Bill Boddy and teabagyokel like this.
  15. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    OK so I've had a theory for a while that Planet F1 (amongst others) raid this and other forums for funny bits and article ideas.

Pit Chat: Vettel crash sparks conspiracy theories | PlanetF1

This was published the day after our above conversation and if you scroll down to the middle of the article you'll see they make the same Williams joke we do and discuss the same Vettel conspiracy.

Big brother is watching us.

16. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    It's the scourge of social media mate. You only have to look at the main online news media sites and see that half of their 'so-called' stories are nothing more than a batch of tweets and a come click me headline.

Andyoak and gethinceri like this.

Share This