Poll 2017 CTA Driver of the year

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by F1Brits_90, Nov 26, 2017.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I have to respectfully disagree with that. A number 1 and a number 2 driver in the top teams has been the normal situation in F1 as long as there has been racing for the exact reason of the constructors championship. The team do not want their own drivers risking fighting each other. The only times I can think of whilst I've been watching F1 where team mates have been truly allowed to fight for the title was Hamilton/Rosberg in 14, 15 16, Senna/Prost in 88 89, and Prost/Lauda in 84/85. In all these situations the teams had such superiority over the rest of the field that it's not mattered if they squabble. All those situations eventually ended in tears.

Other examples I can think of were Mansell/Piquet in 86 where their squabbling cost them the title and Vettel/Webber in 2010 which nearly cost then the title.

I think when Merc realised Ferrari could beat them this year they switch tactics. Which happens to be at the exact same time as Bottas 'form drop'. Form that suddenly picked up by the way as soon as Lewis was champion.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

Did Bottas' form improve or did/does Hamilton's form drop after he won/wins a championship. It was the same pattern, when Rosberg was he teammate. Hamilton would win the championship and Rosberg would start beating him every weekend until the end of the season.

4. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Is once a pattern?

5. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

It's happened three times, twice with Rosberg, once with Bottas.
    Why take the other two occasions out of the equation?

6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Twice with Rosberg? Are you sure? Didn't Hamilton win the title in the last race by winning the race?

7. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    This is my Top 10

1. Hamilton
    2. Vettel
    3. Verstappen
    4. Ricciardo
    5. Bottas
    6. Alonso
    7. Sainz
    8. Raikkonen
    9. Ocon
    10. Massa

8. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Verstappen
    Raikkonen

9. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Isn't that more an indicator of the difference in the two teams' tolerance of moaning, rather than the amount each driver did? IMO McLaren continually bent over backwards to cater to Alonso, even when his moaning was castigating his own team.

10. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Difference is everyone knows Alonso's one of the best but Grosjean has not got the same credentials to moan...usually about the brakes. It is as though he has never driven an F1 car before

11. P1

P1 Points Scorer

Featured Threads:
    Hamilton.

While Verstappen was interesting, he was beaten by Ricciardo. Vettel made too many mistakes and lost his cool. Alonso wasn't in the game enough for us to assess him. The rest are not worth discussing.

12. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    The Good:
    1. Hamilton
    2. Verstappen
    3. Ricciardo
    4. Alonso
    5. Vettel​
    The Worthy:
    6. Hulkenberg
    7. Bottas
    8. Perez
    9. Ocon
    10. Sainz
    11. Grosjean
    12. Vandoorne​
    The Bad:
    13. Raikkonen
    14. Wehrlein
    15. Magnussen
    16. Massa
    17. Kvyat
    18. Ericsson​
    The Ugly:
    19. Stroll
    20. Palmer​

13. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    I really don't understand how people can rate Thestrapon higher than Ricciardo, when the latter outscored him by approx 20%, roughly the same percentage that Hamilton outscored Bottas.

gethinceri likes this.
  14. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    siffert_fan Seriously? Have you checked those numbers when neither of them had car problems?

15. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    based on pure speed Verstappen trounced Ricciardo but then Daniel is an intelligent racer and can never be discounted especially when there is a chance to overtake

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  16. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    For what it's worth I Don't know how anyone can pick between Max and Danny over a season. They both had periods of being superior to the other. On his day no one can live with Max's raw speed and on his day no one can live with Ricciardo's race craft.

Seeing how these two pair up against each other next year is probably what I'm looking forward to the most about next season.

17. siffert_fan

Featured Threads:
    Vintly

Does the phrase "to finish first, you must first finish" hold any meaning for you?

18. vintly

Featured Threads:
    Of course, but by that I take it to mean that you attribute Max's poor reliability to his driving style, and not to bad luck. That would explain it. If that's what you're slightly cryptically inferring, I disagree. Ricciardo's great, for a number two driver ;)

19. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    It's official folks. Verstappen vs Riccardo is the new Hamilton vs Button!

Hamberg and Bill Boddy like this.
  20. vintly

Featured Threads:
    I see it more as Vettel vs Webber

21. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    Don't remember Webber ahead of Vettel in points at the end of the year ... Maybe in 2009?

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice