1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Prix 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Grand Prix Discussions' started by FB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    That simply can't be true otherwise we would have seen Ferrari and Mercedes in the first four places in the last two races.

racecub likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Proof at last that you're an alien.

:D

Olivier and RasputinLives like this.
  4. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Wehrlein to make F1 return in Bahrain

:tumbleweed:

5. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

I agree, how many WDC/ WCC would Red Bull have won if they had had two Webbers at the wheel?
    None, because he managed not to finish second in every season in which Vettel won the championship.
    The driver is difference.

6. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    ...and for every other season too! LOL:3rd:

He was damn good for F1 as he threw one more car back into racing. Bottas and Raikkonen are threatening to have a similar effect, bringing Red Bull into entertaining racing accidentally.

7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Bottas looks set to Kovalainen his way into F1's history books.

Road of Bones, Speshal and vintly like this.
  8. Titch

Titch Mine is the best pink car on the track. Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    The magic spark is missing. You don't hate, or love, Bottas, he just is.

racecub likes this.
  9. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    His own engineer forgot he was driving.

10. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    2 races in guys.

11. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    Are you suggesting that Bottas's slightly underwhelming F1 career may move in a more whelming direction RasputinLives ??

Titch likes this.
  12. Road of Bones

Road of Bones MTC Mole Premium Contributor

We have a new verb then: "to Kovalainen" - a complicated action encompassing demonstrable abilty, a fast race-car, an inability to trouble a teammate, and ultimately a fade into obscurity. Could be a bit of a tragedy for Valterri, unless he starts emulating Nico Rosberg rather quickly...

13. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I'm suggesting that drivers moving into a top team with team mates like Hamilton have had worst starts.

True he cocked up the race in China but he wasn't too far off the pace in quali and did a fairly decent job in Australia. Unlike Rosberg he doesn't have the luxury of being in a car vastly superior to the rest of the field.

As for an underwhelming F1 career. It's very true. He has been driving for F1s most underwhelming team until now.

Not saying things will change I just think he's better than being made out. It's another one of those where media had made its mind up before season even started though.

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  14. Wombcat

Wombcat Podium Finisher

It still doesn't change my conclusion. Because if you look at it that way, then Lotus wasn't dominant for several seasons in the 60s and 70s either. Because there is no way you can be dominant for severel years and not win several WCC in a row. Lotus was dominant in 1963, 1965 and 1978. Not in the other years of the 60s and 70s.
    And you were saying:
    Lotus never had a stretch like Ferrari in 2000-2004, RBR in 2010-2013 or Mercedes 2014-2016. Although 1963-1965 it would have been possible, if the Lotus would have been more reliable in 1964. Which it wasn't, so it couldn't dominate.

I agree with you that the recent domination of Mercedes is the most dominating ever, although McLaren 1988-1989 is comparable. I'm also pretty sure that if Prost had continued with McLaren, they would have continued to dominate.

But the last 20 years domination has been taken to a whole different level compared to the 60s and 70s. Reliability plays a big part in it, because with a team that was a lot faster in the 60s and 70s, there was always a good chance that they retired. Nowadays, not so much.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  15. teabagyokel

Featured Threads:
    So, what, we're advocating the Zak Brown strategy to make F1 interesting?

They could only be more 60s if their lead driver buggered off to do Indianapolis...

16. cider_and_toast

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives I think Bottas's results in his four seasons at Williams point to a driver who needs to do better.

In his first season he and Pastor were virtually level pegging. He then had a great season against Massa which suggested a bright future before descending back into a distinctly average one.

Last years Williams didn't help but for much of the first half of the season there wasn't a lot between him and Massa.

You're right in that it's too early to judge his Mercedes career based on two races but I can understand how the expectations are low.

17. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

Ah, about this time in Hamiltons first year with merc, he thought he was still driving for McLaren.;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  18. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Massa is a difficult person to judge anyone against. Before his accident he was world champion material. Afterwards his form has been more up and down than frogs in the mating season.

19. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

cider_and_toast Bottas has been close to Hamilton in both qualifying sessions, it wasn't unusual for Rosberg to be beaten by 0.3 or more tenths by Hamilton.
    I guess we have figured out Bottas is just as average as the guy who preceded him.

20. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Greenlantern101 Massa had one outstanding season, that was in '08 as team stood behind whilst Raikkonen was not performing on his usual level.
    Massa can't be considered World Champion material based on one season. Not only the crash harmed his performance but also the manner in which Alonso destroyed his soul - the pit entry in China '10 was a big "F**K YOU I'm the Number One driver" towards Massa - and gained the teams trust and full support.

21. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Massa had a pretty amazing 07 and 09 too. Not to mention good bits in 06. I defy anyone not to be impressed with his performance at Turkey 07.

Legs, Greenlantern101 and teabagyokel like this.

Share This