1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Prix 2017 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Grand Prix Discussions' started by FB, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Lewywo4

Lewywo4 Race Winner

I'm not able to receive Sky, and have to suffer, and I mean really suffer with NBCSN broadcast for F1 here in the U.S. I recently read that on the Sky feed, Martin Brundle said that he was told that Mercedes told Bottas to hold station and stay third. Can any of you across the big pond confirm that statement? I don't believe in the first place, that Mercedes would tell Martin anything on that order, and if it was true would have caused a meltdown on F! websites world-wide.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I don't remember hearing anything about that...I'm sure I would have done. There was some discussion amongst the commentators as to whether Lewis was managing the gap ( in fact I'm sure it was Brundle who said he thought Lewis had things under control) and what Merc would do if Bottas caught up and was faster. After the race Bottas said he couldn't get closer than 2 secs because it messed the car up too much.

That's all I can think along the lines you mention.

4. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Bottas said they were free to race @1:10.

5. Lewywo4

Lewywo4 Race Winner

The kid has nerve....:thumbsup:

6. Lewywo4

Lewywo4 Race Winner

racecub & Rutherford

:thankyou:

racecub likes this.
  7. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I'm sure I heard something in the commentary regarding Bottas being told to hold station but I can't remember if it was speculation or a statement. I'm reasonably certain it was during the last couple of laps but can't remember who said it.

8. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Sky interviewed Niki Lauda after the race and he said he wasn't aware of Bottas being given any instruction to stay behind Hamilton.

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Must have been speculation from the Sky commentary team then. Someone must have thought it had been said if they had to ask Lauda about it.

10. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    -----------------

But then again he was also asked by Sky about the nature of Nico Rosberg's problem 10 mns before the start of the 2014 title decider and he wasn't even aware that he had one!

11. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

Lauda is too busy doing his commenter bit on Austrian TV to have time for anything else.

12. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    A Scarlett Ferrari driven by a clever German wins a race by using the power of the overcut. This new F1 feels awfully similar to every race in the mid noughties.

Once again we see that a Vettel who realises he can win a race is massively quicker than one who doesn't.

Looking forward to a season long Hamilton/Vettel fight, although I think it will be mostly tactical overtakes rather than on track ones. Hamilton already made a small dig about that so I can see that brewing up.

teabagyokel likes this.
  13. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

German TV - namely RTL. ORF in Austria have Alex Wurz and Ernie Hausleiter. ;)

14. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Spectaculars on the track near to the returning to the paddock cars was impressive

15. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    vintly LifeW12 :)

gethinceri and vintly like this.
  16. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Greenlantern101 LifeW12 Hey I got my 'at least one' overtake - just. However, thank you for that link, my tin-foil-hat-making procedure has now been forever altered for the better. :D

Greenlantern101 likes this.
  17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    1 of favourite lines from Australian GP actually came from Mclaren. As i remember if it was Brundle or Ted that was trying to get hold of alonso & Bouiller "oh yeah the boss of honda here this weekend & Alonso wanted a chat"

I just thought yeah i bet he does ;):D

18. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I thought a few words in praise of Pirelli might be in order. I have occasionally heard them criticised for not being able to produce decent tyres, when they were only doing what they were told to do. Now, despite having to develop 'blind' with minimal relevant testing or data available, they seem to have produced tyres that are long-lasting and with good performance.

Whether that helps with the spectacle, I doubt, but that isn't Pirelli's fault either.

19. Il_leone

Il_leone Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    The moan will now be you can't follow you can't overtake !!!

20. Westy

Westy Pole Sitter

I think Ferrari were controlling that race from 2nd. Better didn't seem to have any problems staying close to Hamilton. He got real close as Hamilton dove into the pits, I think 7 tenths was the margin at the time. The Ferrari may be the fastest car on race day where the Merc has the edge over one lap.

A podcast I listen to was saying how the Merc has a narrower optimal operating window than the Ferrari. Vettel is an excellent driver and now he has a car that can once again live up to his talent. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that bleeding finger this year.

It is just early days though.

21. marksawatsky

marksawatsky Points Scorer Contributor

Isn't it great that we really don't know who will win the next race, or the WDC?

Il_leone, FB, teabagyokel and 2 others like this.

Share This