Grand Prix 2016 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So as we move onto Austin, Texas, Rosberg would appear to be pretty much in control, and, unless Hamilton gets his starts sorted out, or Rosberg DNF for four races in a row, I don't see much changing.
Last year the weather at Austin dominated the race, to say that it was a wet race would be a massive understatement. The rain was so torrential that Q3 was cancelled and Qualifying was on race day. So do we hope for a dry weekend or a really wet one ?
The circuit is 3.427 miles long (5.515km), it's another Tilke designed circuit, one of a few which runs counter clockwise. From the start to the first corner the drivers climb to the highest point on the circuit, making the initial dash to the first corner and the inevitable jockeying for position that much more challenging than the usual start of race chaos. Last year if you remember saw Hamilton and Rosberg fighting for position at the corner with Hamilton winning. Bad feeling between them escalated, and it hasn't really got any better since.
One of the circuits major features is the spectacular Observation tower, which gives me vertigo just to look at. The observation platform is at 230 feet (70m) above ground. I imagine it's a fantastic place to watch the race ( for those with nerves of steel ) as you can see the entire circuit.
Last year Austin was a very entertaining race, lots of struggling for grip in the wet conditions, slides and overtakes. Of the 20 drivers who started, only 12 finished. It also saw Lewis Hamilton clinch the title, which is certainly not going to happen this year.
Although Austin has been a popular venue, fan attendance is in decline, maybe the current surge in the fortunes of the HAAS team will help to boost numbers at the track. But at the moment the Texas government has cut funding to the circuit, so Austin is looking threatened. I think it would be A great shame to see this race dropped.
Tyres for Austin : Supersofts, Soft and Medium
Number of Laps : 56
Race Distance : 308.4km.

The (thrilling) calculation is: how slowly and gently can Nico go, and still finish second? Didn't seem to be much margin at Austin, did there?

Galahad - He was a VSC away from eroding his margin for error at the first. Which have the ridiculous spectacle of Verstappen attempting to crawl back to the pits to avoid its deployment.

I don't think we can be certain that Hamilton will win everything from here; Interlagos has proven a particular challenge in the past.

Back
Top Bottom