Grand Prix 2016 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So as we move onto Austin, Texas, Rosberg would appear to be pretty much in control, and, unless Hamilton gets his starts sorted out, or Rosberg DNF for four races in a row, I don't see much changing.
Last year the weather at Austin dominated the race, to say that it was a wet race would be a massive understatement. The rain was so torrential that Q3 was cancelled and Qualifying was on race day. So do we hope for a dry weekend or a really wet one ?
The circuit is 3.427 miles long (5.515km), it's another Tilke designed circuit, one of a few which runs counter clockwise. From the start to the first corner the drivers climb to the highest point on the circuit, making the initial dash to the first corner and the inevitable jockeying for position that much more challenging than the usual start of race chaos. Last year if you remember saw Hamilton and Rosberg fighting for position at the corner with Hamilton winning. Bad feeling between them escalated, and it hasn't really got any better since.
One of the circuits major features is the spectacular Observation tower, which gives me vertigo just to look at. The observation platform is at 230 feet (70m) above ground. I imagine it's a fantastic place to watch the race ( for those with nerves of steel ) as you can see the entire circuit.
Last year Austin was a very entertaining race, lots of struggling for grip in the wet conditions, slides and overtakes. Of the 20 drivers who started, only 12 finished. It also saw Lewis Hamilton clinch the title, which is certainly not going to happen this year.
Although Austin has been a popular venue, fan attendance is in decline, maybe the current surge in the fortunes of the HAAS team will help to boost numbers at the track. But at the moment the Texas government has cut funding to the circuit, so Austin is looking threatened. I think it would be A great shame to see this race dropped.
Tyres for Austin : Supersofts, Soft and Medium
Number of Laps : 56
Race Distance : 308.4km.

The US media are actually would score an own goal in savaging Hamilton seeing he is immensely popular in the US and recognisable given he hangs around with people like Justin Bieber ( I wonder if he will be at the race ) , Will I am and co

What "US media"?... he' d be facing the same journalists at the press conference as he does at every GP. Is he "hugely popular" in the US as a whole? I didn't know any F! driver ever was?...

He's recognised in the US, which probably means he's 'Awesommmmme!!' in many people's eyes. Let's hope that the drama is on track, not off.

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.29.13.png

Nico would be mad to tangle with Lewis, but he's good enough to stay ahead if he gets any sort of a lead at the start. So unless they both get a clean getaway with Nico just in front, I don't think we'll see much in the way of wheel-to-wheel racing between the Mercs. That of course is assuming a lot, including that they'll qualify one and two. Who knows?

Somewhat more importantly, the missus and kids are away for a few days from Saturday morning for half-term, so I get the whole weekend viewing uninterrupted, bliss!

Nico doesnt need to win, but he would not miss an opportunity to let Lewis know that he wont move aside as easily as he once did, as he has far less to lose at the moment from a dnf. It will be an intersting measure of where Lewis is at mentally.

The Pits Nico doesn't have to win this race, Lewis has. But Nico has to win one more race, because I don't see Mercedes finishing one-two in the remaining 4 races, but winning the remaining 4. Which means Nico has to win one of them. It would be best for him to win this race, because then it's pretty much over for Lewis.

Lewis needs a result far more than Nico does. As such i simply cannot see him giving any quarter in any wheel to wheel action.

Well that was crap. Not even a hint of anything unusual or surprising. Doesn't bode well for the race.

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 - 44 - L.HAMILTON - 01:34,999 - 01:34,999 - 00,000
2 - 6 - N.ROSBERG - 01:35,215 - 01:35,046 - 00,169
3 - 3 - D.RICCIARDO - 01:35,509 - 01:35,489 - 00,020
4 - 33 - M.VERSTAPPEN - 01:35,747 - 01:35,740 - 00,007
5 - 7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 01:36,131 - 01:36,131 - 00,000
6 - 5 - S.VETTEL - 01:36,358 - 01:36,220 - 00,138
7 - 27 - N.HULKENBERG - 01:36,628 - 01:36,421 - 00,207
8 - 77 - V.BOTTAS - 01:37,116 - 01:36,894 - 00,222
10 - 55 - C.SAINZ - 01:37,326 - 01:37,063 - 00,263
9 - 19 - F.MASSA - 01:37,269 - 01:37,114 - 00,155